Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6N - Who didn’t do the business for Ire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    6N - Who didn’t do the business for Ire?

    We've had the 6N player of the tournament poll and talked about who played well during the Six Nations such as RoG, Wallace, D'Arcy.

    I was just thinking about players who perhaps didn't fulfil their potential this year...

    For me:

    Brian O'Driscoll - by his previously high standards he was off the boil

    Shane Horgan - carried great form into the 6N but came out the other side looking decidedly average.

    Issac Boss - showed how much Ireland rely on Stringer and why the latter is the No.1 scrum half in Ireland

    Donnacha O'Callaghan - capable of playing much better and becoming a real force but not this tournoi

    Geordan Murphy - well, we all watched the France game

    I also felt the front row were poor at times but overall they did play to their maximum potential imo.

    Who do you guys think didn't play to their potential?

    #2
    BOD was still huge in defense, just because he's not breaking the line constantly doesn't mean he's playing badly. Remember he had Kevin Maggs as a partner for years, D'Arcy is stealing some of the glory these days.

    Horgan was injured one game, and out of position for another so I think it's only fair to judge him on the other 3. He was poor against Scotland, but had 2 other good games. Can play better though.

    Harsh on Boss imo, didn't think he was too bad against France.

    Murphy wasn't up to speed really, admitted so himself.

    DOC wasn't bad either, but didn't put his hand up as a leader when POC was missing. Seems happy in POCs shadow.

    Apart from that the backrow was excellent, Hickie, ROG, BOD & D'Arce, Dempsey, front row in general all had good tournaments. I would have liked to see Trimble get some more gametime but can't have it all.

    Comment


      #3


      Agree on Horgan but EOS makes it worse by putting him inside centre-he did it again on Saturday when Drico went off and it stopped the.momentum.


      Wouldn`t agree on any of the others -thought some players faded in certain games but that`ll happen especially when EOS won`t rotate players.

      Comment


        #4
        I'm aware that none of the players played too badly given that we won 4/5 matches.

        I'm just wondering who you felt didn't play to their potential

        Comment


          #5
          Horgan and Leamy were the let downs for me after the Nov series

          Comment


            #6
            I think it was a mixed bag tbh. Nobody had 5 great games.



            Comment


              #7


              I don't agree with you Dan that BOD was huge in defense - at least not in the Italy game. I lost count of the number of tackles he missed or bounced off. He is usually much better but that was a bad day defensively for him I believe.


              I'm not sure that Boss can really be accurately rated on his limited game time.


              As for DOC, I felt defensivley he was immense! He was there at the bottom of every ruck and tackled like a demon. The lineout didn't function well in general and he has to take his share of blame for that one I think.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw


              Comment


                #8





                i thought mary mcaleese wasnt as good before the english game as she usually is. Croke Park nerves i suppose.
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

                Comment


                  #9


                  Very harsh on Boss who i actually thought played well against France anyway.


                  BOD was terrific against Scotland, set up more than a couple of tries against Italy andscored a crucial try against Wales and if ever we needed to know how good he is watch the French game again.


                  I thought O'Callaghan had a good tournament until the last game when the lineout struggled without O'Connell and against a good Italian lineout.


                  I don't really think anyone let Ireland down actually.


                  BTW i hate threads like this, very negative.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    BOD (and EOS) need to decide what kind of player he weants to be. For me, he's lost a bit of pace. I put this down to his new 'bulked up' physique so he can play like a 2nd o/s flanker at the breakdown. If he's the best 13 in the world, why is he playing this dual role? (I'm vaguely concerned about his hammer too - not the first season he's had problems.)

                    Donners seems to be unable to step up to Paulie's level, when Paulie is out. It's a very tall order, but perhaps he should be trying. His usual game is defence, often a pillar, and being at the bottom of a ruck. Should MOD have been doing this on Sat, and let Donners make the yards and be another leader (I know, Easterby's there, but not forever.)

                    Rory Best was poor at l/o throwing on Sat - maybe it was the ball. (Come on IRB sort it out!!!). I still think Fla offes more dynamism around the pitch.

                    Not trying to be too negative - but let's not pretend all is ok - it's not!


                    Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

                    Comment


                      #11

                      Originally posted by SecondRowGal

                      I don't agree with you Dan that BOD was huge in defense - at least not in the Italy game. I lost count of the number of tackles he missed or bounced off. He is usually much better but that was a bad day defensively for him I believe.


                      I'm not sure that Boss can really be accurately rated on his limited game time.


                      As for DOC, I felt defensivley he was immense! He was there at the bottom of every ruck and tackled like a demon. The lineout didn't function well in general and he has to take his share of blame for that one I think.
                      Stats say the whole team only missed one tackle all game.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        IMHO, there's one game where everyone of the current squad will look back and say they could have done better, only exceptions being Wallace & Hayes.
                        Horgan failed to live up to our expected extremely high standards in the Scot game.
                        Rory Best needs to improve on the communication & confidence during lineouts.
                        The back line need to think every game is points chase like the italy game, and the forwards need to think every game is agiainst England.

                        Simple really...



                        Comment


                          #13


                          Originally posted by Blindsider.
                          BOD (and EOS) need to decide what kind of player he weants to be. For me, he's lost a bit of pace. I put this down to his new 'bulked up' physique so he can play like a 2nd o/s flanker at the breakdown. If he's the best 13 in the world, why is he playing this dual role? (I'm vaguely concerned about his hammer too - not the first season he's had problems.)

                          Donners seems to be unable to step up to Paulie's level, when Paulie is out. It's a very tall order, but perhaps he should be trying. His usual game is defence, often a pillar, and being at the bottom of a ruck. Should MOD have been doing this on Sat, and let Donners make the yards and be another leader (I know, Easterby's there, but not forever.)

                          Rory Best was poor at l/o throwing on Sat - maybe it was the ball. (Come on IRB sort it out!!!). I still think Fla offes more dynamism around the pitch.

                          Not trying to be too negative - but let's not pretend all is ok - it's not!

                          Are you Neil Francis in disguise





                          Comment


                            #14


                            Originally posted by RobbieG
                            IMHO, there's one game where everyone of the current squad will look back and say they could have done better, only exceptions being Wallace & Hayes.
                            Horgan failed to live up to our expected extremely high standards in the Scot game.
                            Rory Best needs to improve on the communication & confidence during lineouts.
                            The back line need to think every game is points chase like the italy game, and the forwards need to think every game is agiainst England.

                            Simple really...


                            The lineouts are based on O'Connell waiting until the last minute to see what way the opposition lineout is set, that is why there is a delay, it has nothing to do with communication.

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Originally posted by beatlefan

                              Originally posted by Blindsider.
                              BOD (and EOS) need to decide what kind of player he weants to be. For me, he's lost a bit of pace. I put this down to his new 'bulked up' physique so he can play like a 2nd o/s flanker at the breakdown. If he's the best 13 in the world, why is he playing this dual role? (I'm vaguely concerned about his hammer too - not the first season he's had problems.)

                              Donners seems to be unable to step up to Paulie's level, when Paulie is out. It's a very tall order, but perhaps he should be trying. His usual game is defence, often a pillar, and being at the bottom of a ruck. Should MOD have been doing this on Sat, and let Donners make the yards and be another leader (I know, Easterby's there, but not forever.)

                              Rory Best was poor at l/o throwing on Sat - maybe it was the ball. (Come on IRB sort it out!!!). I still think Fla offes more dynamism around the pitch.

                              Not trying to be too negative - but let's not pretend all is ok - it's not!

                              Are you Neil Francis in disguise
                              No - but do you think I could get paid for a Sunday Rugby column too?
                              Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X