Who took over as Captain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who took over as Captain

Who took over as captain after BOD went off....esp. asRonan seemed to indicate posts with that last penalty but Leamy still tapped and went?

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Easterby?
    The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

yep that lack of captaincy (coaches fault) determined the 6N Championship. We kick it it's 34 miss it's 31 either way we win.Hate to agree with George Hook but he identified lack of on field leadership pre game.

Eamo

I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
      HL Mencken

Comment

<!-
        var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
        var SymReal;

Sym()
        {
        window.open = SymWinOpen;
        if(SymReal != null)
        SymReal();
        }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
        {
        if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
        SymReal&#079;nLoad();
        window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
        SymReal = window.;
        window. = Sym;
        }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
        window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Leamy didn't want to run it, he was looking for someone to make the call, someone egged him on,
        The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Who is to say O'Gara would have kicked it anyway, his kicking was below his standards yesterday. Listen i reckon if France had needed to beat Scotland by forty yesterday they would have done so i don't think we needconcern ourselves with what ifs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder
            Who is to say O'Gara would have kicked it anyway, his kicking was below his standards yesterday. Listen i reckon if France had needed to beat Scotland by forty yesterday they would have done so i don't think we needconcern ourselves with what ifs.
            have to disagree there .. a 30 or 33 point margin would have changed the whole psychology of the France V Scotland game (not least the fact that it's much harder to score that many points than 23!!).

Comment

I think they may well have - as Ireland would have done if the game times were reversed (Eddies comment is valid i reckon)

- in fairness, we didn't come into the thing hoping to win the championship, and in the year that's in it, no one gives a sh!t. It's grand slam or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by beir bua
                have to disagree there .. a 30 or 33 point margin would have changed the whole psychology of the France V Scotland game (not least the fact that it's much harder to score that many points than 23!!).

Well all i would say is that at times it seemed to me as though France could have scored at will, they reached the 24 point target with 20 minutes to go and then seemed to take the foot off the gas, even when Scotland scored 5 minutes from the end there was something inevitable about what would happen next.

Comment

Well all i would say is that at times it seemed to me as though France could have scored at will, they reached the 24 point target with 20 minutes to go and then seemed to take the foot off the gas, even when Scotland scored 5 minutes from the end there was something inevitable about what would happen next.
                  again, i can't agree. But aside from that, the ref did everything for them. I'd have high hopes for us when we play them again in the world cup IF the ref is up to it.

Comment

Well reading Stuart Barnes piece today he reckons Ireland will be slight favourites against France in Paris...PROVIDED...we are at full strength...

Comment

again, i can't agree. But aside from that, the ref did everything for them. I'd have high hopes for us when we play them again in the world cup IF the ref is up to it.

Thatis all ifs, ands and buts.

For what it is worthI was screaming at the TV for Ireland to kick at goal. However, if we had kicked it and France had still piped us by a couple of points there would be posters on here complaining about Ireland making conservative decisions which had cost us the championship, and agruing that we should have gone for the try!

I would agree that France might have found it more difficult to visualise a 34 point win than a 24 point one but clearly the players felt that they needed to chase every point that they could under the circumstances.

We made a couple of mistakes in the process, and got punished,but at least the guys were willing to take risks in order to win.

It didn't come off for us, partly due to the ruthlessness of the French finishing and partly due to bad luck.

Comment

Agree, France reached the 24 point goal with 18 mins to go, then switched off and let Scot back in, they easily would have reached a 30+ goal if they wanted.

Comment

Hurler, I was also screaming for them to kick as it seemed an obvious choice really... I honestly believe that the best of two options was to

i) kick for goal,pushing France to win by 34differenceor sticking to an already good margin of 30 (31 for France given the amount of tries scored by Ireland) -&gt; ok France might have still beatenus on pts but there is no doubting that they went for as many points as possible vs Scotland and would most likely have failed to reach the 30 mark goal avg - in any event I would have told myself, and I believe the players and other supporters would as well, that we had done everything possible to win and losing to France was really not something we could control (frankly, I don't feel that way today!)

ii) kick to touch to get the game into the Italian22s and have a real chance of making it near on impossible for France to beat a 37 (or 35) pts margin -&gt; first in so doing you make it unlikely Italy will get into a position to score so far from our line, second failing to score a try on our part would have left us on a very decent margin, third finishing off with a typical Munster rumble to the line would have scared the living daylights out of our futureopponents... instead we are perceived as talented by flimsy... we must remind others that we are still powerful in the basics so that they stay honest against us all over the field... it seems we either play with our forwards or go crazy with our backs but no big team (even the ABs with the most talented backs - think back to the last couple of world cups) can win serious competitions without mastering and mixing both sectors of the game!

One can argue that it is easy to say this with hindsight but I'mno professional and it seemedinstictive to me at the precise time at which this opportunityarose... Istill don't understand how someone like Rog (whogenerally is very solid on the basics and strategy of the game) didn't intervene... I agree that there was a serious leadership issue at that stage and am convinced that if BOD (or POC) had been there he would have called one of the above 2 options!

Alas we have to move on and learn from these situations... hopefully we will see the benefits of these experiences in the near future... unfortunately we've left a very decent chance of a first chamionship win in 22 years pass by us... come the next championships France will stay strong, England will definitely get much stronger and you never know how Wales, Scotland and Italy will develop but all seems to be levellingupwards... in other words this is a very tough competition and I just hope thatour bestopportunities at winning thisaren't behindus!
                          \"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars\"

Comment

would have thought it was ROG, wasn't he one of the vice-captains?

Comment

Originally posted by Junster
                              ii) @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">kick to touch to get the game into the Italian22s@@@@/SPAN> and have a real chance of making it near on impossible for France to beat a 37 (or 35) pts margin -&gt; first in so doing you make it unlikely Italy will get into a position to score so far from our line, second failing to score a try on our part would have left us on a very decent margin, third finishing off with a typical Munster rumble to the line would have scared the living daylights out of our futureopponents... instead we are perceived as talented by flimsy... we must remind others that we are still powerful in the basics so that they stay honest against us all over the field... it seems we either play with our forwards or go crazy with our backs but no big team (even the ABs with the most talented backs - think back to the last couple of world cups) can win serious competitions without mastering and mixing both sectors of the game!
                              I don't think that was an option - time was up so the whistle would have been blown as soon as the ball went into touch, with no extra time being allowed for the line-out.

Comment

Working...
                              X