Saturday, 4 February France v Italy, 14:30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, 4 February France v Italy, 14:30

Clermont centre Wesley Fofana will make his debut for France on Saturday when they face Italy in the opening round of Six Nations matches.

Fofana will line up next to club team-mate Aurelien Rougerie in new coach Philippe Saint-André's first game at the helm.

The 24-year-old's inclusion at the expense of Maxime Mermoz - who drops to the bench - is one of five changes to the team that did duty in last year's World Cup final.

Elsewhere amongst the backs, François Trinh-Duc comes in for Morgan Parra at fly-half while Julien Malzieu replaces Alexis Palisson out wide.

In the pack, Louis Picamoles starts at eight ahead of Imanol Harinordoquy who is forced to contend with a replacement berth and Vincent Debaty wrestles the number one jersey away from Jean-Baptiste Poux.

France: 15 Maxime Medard, 14 Vincent Clerc, 13 Aurelien Rougerie, 12 Wesley Fofana, 11 Julien Malzieu, 10 François Trinh-Duc, 9 Dimitri Yachvili, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Julien Bonnaire, 6 Thierry Dusautoir (captain), 5 Lionel Nallet, 4 Pascal Pape, 3 Nicolas Mas, 2 William Servat, 1 Vincent Debaty.
    Replacements: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski, 17 Jean-Baptiste Poux, 18 Yoann Maestri, 19 Imanol Harinordoquy, 20 Morgan Parra, 21 Lionel Beauxis, 22 Maxime Mermoz.

Date: Saturday, February 4
    Venue: Stade de France, St. Denis (Paris)
    Kick-off: 15.30 (14.30 GMT)
    Referee: Nigel Owens
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Big front 5.... though id always find room for Harinordoquy on the starting xv....interesting to see if PSA gives Trinh Duc a free role....
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Looks like they still have the crazy juice on tap at the French camp.
      Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

strong team. Trinh-Duc was in fantastic form against Stade the other night.
        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 16:15

Venditti handed Italy debut for Paris

Rugby:
          Aironi winger Giovanbattista Venditti will make his debut for Italy as new coach Jacques Brunel unveiled his first selection for Saturday’s clash against France at Stade de France.
          There are a number of changes to the side that lost 6-36 to Ireland in the final round of pool games during the World Cup in Dunedin at the beginning of October.

Luke McLean comes in on the left wing for Mirco Bergamasco, with a new midfield partnership of Tommaso Benvenuti, who played on the wing against Ireland, and Alberto Sgarbi.

Outhalf Kristopher Burton is joined in a new halfback combination by scrumhalf Edoardo Gori,

Andrea Lo Cicero is named at loosehead prop, while Treviso openside Robert Barbieri gets the nod ahead of Mauro Bergamasco.

ITALY (v France): A Masi (Aironi); G Venditti (Aironi), T Benvenuti (Benetton Treviso), Alberto Sgarbi (Benetton Treviso), Luke McLean (Benetton Treviso); Kristopher Burton (Benetton Treviso), Edoardo Gori (Benetton Treviso); Andrea Lo Cicero Racing Metro), Leonardo Ghiraldini (Benetton Treviso), Martin Castrogiovanni (Leicester), Cornelius van Zyl (Benetton Treviso), Quintin Geldenhuys (Aironi), Alessandro Zanni (Benetton Treviso), Robert Barbieri (Benetton Treviso), Sergio Parisse (Stade Francais, captain)

Replacements: Tommaso D'Apice (Aironi), Lorenzo Cittadini (Benetton Treviso), Marco Bortolami (Aironi), Simone Favaro (Aironi), Fabio Semenzato (Benetton Treviso), Tobias Botes (Benetton Treviso), Gonzalo Canale (Clermont-Auvergne).
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Here come two of the best anthems in the 6N ....
            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Forza Italia..........
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

conor o shea creaming himself over Parisse before the game was a bit uncomfortable. I really hope he never gets the ireland job

Comment

Ooh, that kick could have gone either way. France lucky to recover that bounce.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Italians trying really hard to go forward but it's not pretty .. ...a musclefest ... but typical great French counter attack.
                    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

cheika and woody on the beeb.......

Comment

Originally posted by Flanimal View Post
                        conor o shea creaming himself over Parisse before the game was a bit uncomfortable. I really hope he never gets the ireland job
                        Watching it all on BBC. Between McGurk and hook I don't think I will watch rte rugby for years

Comment

France are trying to force fofana into things

Comment

Sweet DG!
                            Tis but a scratch.

Comment

18 mins gone 3-3........................

Comment

Working...
                              X