Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many class forwards do Ireland have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many class forwards do Ireland have?

Lets be real with ourselves.

Packs win World Cups.

How many world class forwards do we really have?

In my opinion we have only one(POC) and he drifts in and out of form.

The rest wouldn't make a world XV and would struggle to make the replacements of a world xv

In an era of great International 7's David Wallace stands up there with the best, an absolute class act.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
      In an era of great International 7's David Wallace stands up there with the best, an absolute class act.
      He's anonymous in a lot of games. Moreover because of his lack of work on the floor we have to employ a 6 who does a lot of ground work.

Wallace is seen doing a lot of running so he looks good.

He is a very good player and if you asked me to pick the second best Ireland forward it would be him but he's not in the league of Schalk Burger or Richie McCaw

Comment

Originally posted by Big Hit

He's anonymous in a lot of games. Moreover because of his lack of work on the floor we have to employ a 6 who does a lot of ground work.

Wallace is seen doing a lot of running so he looks good.

He is a very good player and if you asked me to pick the second best Ireland forward it would be him but he's not in the league of Schalk Burger or Richie McCaw
        It is because of his running that you notice him, not because of his lack of poaching skills on the ground.

I suggest you re-look at the NZ tests last year and go looking for McCaw who was fairly absent in both games if my memory serves me correctly.

Berger is still learning, although a good player. Will be interesting to see how he settles back after his neck injury.

Comment

Lack of work? Are you having a laugh? Look at how many turnovers he forces. He wouldn't be as proflific as let's say Gleeson but he brings far more to the party.

McCaw is awesome but ther'e going to be a campaign to bin him big style this year. Burger is just a freak.

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_caster
            It is because of his running that you notice him, not because of his lack of poaching skills on the ground..
            Thats what I said. You notice him for his running not for his turnovers (like a truly world class 7 is known for).

I suggest you re-look at the NZ tests last year and go looking for McCaw who was fairly absent in both games if my memory serves me correctly.
            I wouldn't say absent but Neil Best as well as Wallace was immense in those games.

Berger is still learning, although a good player. Will be interesting to see how he settles back after his neck injury.
            a good player [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img] Schalk Burger was named the WORLD'S BEST PLAYER at the age of 23. He's already back and I'd pick him over Wallace every day of the week and twice on wednesdays.

I'd almost say,with players back from injuries, South africa have TWO packs better than IReland's.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born
              Lack of work? Are you having a laugh? Look at how many turnovers he forces. He wouldn't be as proflific as let's say Gleeson but he brings far more to the party.McCaw is awesome but ther'e going to be a campaign to bin him big style this year. Burger is just a freak.
              Theres more than just those two though. Luke Watson is better than Wallace and he doesn't even make the African squad.

George Smith on form is twice the 7 Wallace is.

Contrast our forwards with our backs.

D'Arcy would make a World XV
              O'Driscoll would make a World XV
              ROG would make the replacements of a World XV (or at least be perilously close)

Comment

Big Hit dont just be negative, make a suggestion to improve matters or should we just pull out of the World Cup now
                Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy

Big Hit dont just be negative, make a suggestion to improve matters or should we just pull out of the World Cup now
                  umm, I think we should rile POC up before every match.

I think we should get Jerry Flannery back on form.

I think we should start Neil Best.

I think we can match the AB's forwards with the exception of McCaw.

Comment

For me in the first 3 games of this 6N Wallace was the best forward on the field, his game is constantly improving and will get even better, his ball handling skills are as good as any backrow in the game and he hasserious pace.

Leamy was the stand-out backrow v Kiwis and Oz in LR last year.

Did Flannery pick up player of the Championship last year?

POC and DOC are a worldclass combination.

Maybe you need to ask yourself what are Leinster forwards bringing to the table?
                    they call it \'passion\', we call it pride

Comment

George Smith isn't half the player he was, he struggled to get into a poor Aussie team last season.
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Bergamasco was BBC player of the championship and BOD the RBS player of the championship

Comment

if memory serves me you where saying gleeson was a better player than wally and should be on ahead of him....at last you have seen sense!![img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

aside wally is world class , along with POC, flannery and leamy. we also have very very good players in DOC and on there day easterby/best and a guy who does not get the credit he deserves john hayes, when he retires we will all see exactly how good a player he was, cause he will be badly missed. if the lions where being picked today i reckon between 5 and 7 ofthe packwould be irish.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Hit
                            He's anonymous in a lot of games. Moreover because of his lack of work on the floor we have to employ a 6 who does a lot of ground work. rubbish

Wallace is seen doing a lot of running so he looks good. rubbish

He is a very good player and if you asked me to pick the second best Ireland forward it would be him but he's not in the league of Schalk Burger or Richie McCaw hmmm two very good players but on his performances in the 6 nations you gotta say he is up with them

Comment

Originally posted by ECHO

if memory serves me you where saying gleeson was a better player
                              than wally and should be on ahead of him....at last you have seen
                              sense!![img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

aside wally is world class , along with POC, flannery and leamy. we
                              also have very very good players in DOC and on there day easterby/best
                              and a guy who does not get the credit he deserves john hayes, when he
                              retires we will all see exactly how good a player he was, cause he will
                              be badly missed. if the lions where being picked today i reckon between
                              5 and 7 ofthe packwould be irish.

The Gleeson of 2 years ago yes, but sadly he falls off too many tackles these days, his link play is badly lost.

I think your assesment of the Lions is about right, just goes to show how s**te the Brits are.

Comment

Working...
                              X