Why we’re not playing for a SLAM !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why we’re not playing for a SLAM !

@@@@SPAN id="news_c&#111;ntent"><h2>O'Sullivan contends with Six Nations slog</h2>@@@@SPAN ="storytime">15/03/2007@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="story">Eddie
    O'Sullivan believes the gruelling format of the Six Nations explains
    Ireland's failure to maintain their stunning autumn form.

Ireland
    blitzed South Africa and Australia on successive weekends to
    temporarily climb up to third place in the world rankings and heighten
    expectation for the Six Nations.

However, apart from the record
    43-13 victory over England, Brian O'Driscoll's side have looked
    unconvincing, despite putting themselves in a position to clinch the
    title on the final weekend.

O'Sullivan said: "It would be hard to argue that except for the England match we hit the levels we set in the autumn.

"We
    have to factor into that there were only really two games in two weeks
    during the autumn. The Six Nations is five matches in seven weeks.

"It's
    a different tournament and the intensity is higher than the autumn
    internationals, even if you are playing sides from the southern
    hemisphere.

"The intensity of Six Nations rugby is underestimated in most parts of the world. It's fairly bruising rugby for every side.

"Defences are tighter and more aggressive. It's hard to play well in the Six Nations."

O'Sullivan
    cites the example of France, who saw their Grand Slam bid wrecked by a
    26-18 defeat to England last Saturday, to illustrate how fickle the Six
    Nations can be.

The Ireland coach maintains his Triple Crown
    winners will have completed a "solid" Six Nations if they dispatch
    Italy in Rome on Saturday.

He said: "Look at France. They were
    going to win the World Cup a couple of weeks ago. They were on track
    for the Grand Slam and everything was hunky-dory.

"Then they lost at Twickenham. Where did that come from? The bookies didn't see it either and that's Six Nations rugby.

"I've
    said it all the way through. Of course the ambition is to play five
    perfect games and win the Grand Slam but it rarely works like that.

"You have to be realistic and know that some days you'll have setbacks when things don't go right.

"But you have to move on as it's the process of building.

"For
    that reason I'd say our four games in the Six Nations have not been as
    smooth as the two in the autumn in terms of performance, but it's a
    different landscape.

"I'm not in a panic over it. We're not too far from where we want to be.

"Sometimes
    results can cloud reality. People say everything is fine when it's not
    fine. Sometimes you lose games but it doesn't mean things are bad.

"If
    we win on Saturday with a good performance, we'll have had a good solid
    Six Nations. I'd be disappointed we didn't win the Grand Slam but there
    you go."@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]Somebody might want to remind him that there's a world cup coming and the fixture list will be even more unforgiving. Spanner.
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Getting your excuses in early, Herr Eddie?[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Eddie trying to cover his arse when actually making himself look like a tit.

Comment

Originally posted by Fly_caster

@@@@SPAN id=news_c&#111;ntent>@@@@SPAN ="story">O'Sullivan said: "It would be hard to argue that except for the England match we hit the levels we set in the autumn.

"We have to factor into that there were only really two games in two weeks during the autumn. The Six Nations is five matches in seven weeks.

@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>

So we didn't really beat the Pacific Islands 61 - 17 and Paddy Wallace didn't actually score those 26 points against them! Thanks for clearing that up, Eddie - I wonder if the IRFU will refund me the cost of my ticket to that non-game.

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Yeah, maybe by rotating you squd a little from game to game you could reduce the effect of 5 games in 7 weeks Eddie, not to mention if you pick the right team in the first place- spanner!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Lads lads lads...
              I am not the happiest with EOS either, but this nit picking at everything he says in the media could be construed as a tad childish...
              We're sportsmen, and not everything said at the moment is consistently 100% correct...

saying that... PHEW ... only 10 or 11 games with him at the helm left...[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I don't expect everything to go right all the time and I don't blame Eddie for everything that goes wrong, I've even defended him a fair bit...

BUT, for him to start moaning about the attritional nature of the competition when he refuses to use his subs for any significant period, let alone rotate a few squad members!

Eejit.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi
                  Yeah, maybe by rotating you squd a little from game to game you could reduce the effect of 5 games in 7 weeks Eddie, not to mention if you pick the right team in the first place- spanner!!!
                  I hear a lot of giving out about the lack of rotation of the squad and not winning the GS. Out of curiousity what players would people like to have rotated, who would you have brought in as their replacement during the 6N and in what matches?

IMHO apart from Rory Best, Easterby and reshuffling the wingers, our squad isn't all that packed with options when you are looking for the Grand Slam.
                  When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy

I don't expect everything to go right all the time and I don't blame Eddie for everything that goes wrong, I've even defended him a fair bit...

BUT, for him to start moaning about the attritional nature of the competition when he refuses to use his subs for any significant period, let alone rotate a few squad members!

Eejit.

That about sums it up for me.

You cannot have it both ways Eddie!

Comment

I'm sure this has been brought up at some stage before, but why did he go to NZ as Sir Clive's no. 3/4/5 on that Lions malarkey, when he should have gone withthe national team , of whom he is supposed to be primary manager, on a tour of Japan. How did the IRFU let him desert his post to go on that outdated crap when he should have been managing the newbie players playing for our national team, whenall he was doing was putting in a bit of groundwork with the blazers to ensure he gets his next job the same way as he got his present job.No wonder hardly any of them who went on that tour ever got another call. I hope he gets that Lions gig and SA stuff them.
                      Unrepentant Langer

Comment

Perhaps Eddie should consider that the one game we lost was actually our second game in two weeks, surely he can't possibly be arguing that the players were out on their feet by that stage?

Comment

Originally posted by B.A.
                          Originally posted by Daithi
                          I hear a lot of giving out about the lack of rotation of the squad and not winning the GS. Out of curiousity what players would people like to have rotated, who would you have brought in as their replacement during the 6N and in what matches?

IMHO apart from Rory Best, Easterby and reshuffling the wingers, our squad isn't all that packed with options when you are looking for the Grand Slam.

I would probably onlyhavestartedTrimble, Fla, Best (3 out of 7 squad players isn't bad) but we could have used our subs a lot more. Wallace could have gotten a decent bit of time against England. The game was won with 20 to go.

Comment

To be fair - Trimble started against Wales and didn't really impress. I'd agree that Easterby blew hot and cold and I think Best should have started a few games. I'd have liked to see Fla start from a personal p.o.v. but I had no complaints about Rory Best over the tournament. When Simon Best started he had very little to offer.

It would have been very hard to drop ROG considering he was our only points scorer in 2 games and Wallace doesn't even play outhalf regularly. All in all we don't have as many squad options as people would like to think.

When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A.
                              To be fair - Trimble started against Wales and didn't really impress. I'd agree that Easterby blew hot and cold and I think Best should have started a few games. I'd have liked to see Fla start from a personal p.o.v. but I had no complaints about Rory Best over the tournament. When Simon Best started he had very little to offer.

It would have been very hard to drop ROG considering he was our only points scorer in 2 games and Wallace doesn't even play outhalf regularly. All in all we don't have as many squad options as people would like to think.

Here we go with the "who would you drop?" mentality. It's not about players being dropped, it's about them being rested and some others getting a chance to impress and gain some experience.

Wallace could have gotten 20 minutes against England at virtually no risk, the game was won. He would have gained experience and ROG would have been a little less knackered.

R Best has played well enough but Fla is an excellent player too and he should be given a chance to fight for his place. Why not start him inthe last game? Again, there's little risk and it would keep the pressure on Best to perform the next day.

I would also have brought Young into the squadinstead of S Best this week. There's not much between them and Best got a good run last week so Young deserves his chance this week.

It's the same situation in a few otherposititons. Some players you rotate with others to get the most out of them. Some subs you use for impact when we're struggling. Some you use togive themexperience when a game is won. Eddie does none of these things very often.

Best three consecutive Ireland performances I can remember: 2006 AIs. Number of players used: loads!

Comment

Working...
                              X