6N atmosphere

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6N atmosphere

Is the big all seater stadium killing the 6 nations? I thought the atmosphere in Twickenham was appalling in the last 10 minutes when England were on the brink of a famous backs-to-the-wall victory. They needed the crowd roaring them on. Instead they got a droning "sweet chariots" once or twice and a lot of fat corporate bums on seats.
    Think back to similar victories in Lansdowne in recent years and the noise from the terraces was constant in the closing minutes of these games.
    I wasn't in Murrayfield on Saturday but when I have been there in the past it has been dead even when Scotland were stonking us. A Scottish friend tells me stories of the heaving terraces of the old ground and it sounds fantastic.
    It is very sad that we are going the same way and in 10 years we will be bemoaning the loss of our terraces (not just in L Rd but in Thomand, D'brook, Ravenhill etc.).

The terraces are very much part of the new T.P. plans.

Comment

Twickers isn't exactly noted for great atmospheres, except when England are absolutely mullering someone.

I was really surprised how muted the atmosphere seemed (watching on TV), given the context of this performance.

Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
      "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
        <T>
        <TR height="100%" width="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n">
        <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">the atmosphere in murrayfield was dreadful but then again the 1:30 starts always are - think Italy at lansdowne last year . the fact they made such a hames of the anthems didnt help </TD></TR>
        <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
        <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
        <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

I think it is down to the sheer volume of corporates at games these days. TP was quiet for Leicester too.

There is a price to pay for all these club tickets going corporate.

Comment

Originally posted by popularside
            I think it is down to the sheer volume of corporates at games these days. TP was quiet for Leicester too.
            Careful now, you'll have them jumping down your throat telling you there's never a bad atmosphere at TP and that you obviously don't go to many games if you think otherwise.
            Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Originally posted by popularside

Unfortunately, there might have been other factors in that case.

It's bizarre in the case of the England game, as they were far more competitive than expected.
              Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
              "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

I don't think it's a corporate thing necessarily at Twickenham. You're a long way from the action in many parts of the ground, and that can have an effect. I think there's also an effect that comes from being part of a far larger rugby playing community than is the case elsewhere.

There's always been a certain fellow feeling among Irish fans that stems from playing a minority game and then coming together to support Ireland.

Rugby is a far bigger thing in England, and I've never sensed at England matches that there's that much identification between the fans that come from various parts of the country.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

The fact of the matter is that every single rugby ground should have a terrace. You hear all this crap about reaching out to all members of society and they charge a fortune and limit the tickets to those who know the chairman of the board, blah blah,

What about us? The working class???? If it wasnt for Croke Park and Hill 16 none of you would even remember the Ireland England game. The people on Hill 16 made that game. We roared the team to victory while those in their Brown Thomas scarves sat with their mouths open looking at us singing. Shameful.

Sadly 99% of rugby stadiums are full of Horaces and Beatrices from Gloucestershire/Montenotte and Hampshire/Killaloe
                  in their tweed outfits who've quaffed a bottle of champers &amp; eaten
                  their fois grois sarnies in the car park, and they've met up with their
                  son Quentin/Christian/Conan who's out on a day-pass from Harrow/St Munchins

Comment

Working...
                  X