X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manning and Artemiev’s 1st games for Ire

<div ="article">UNIVERSITIES FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL: Friday, March 9

IRISH UNIVERSITIES 21 ENGLISH UNIVERSITIES 10, Belfield Bowl

Scorers: Ireland: Tries: Michael Hastings, Fergus McFadden, Vasily Artemiev; Cons: Jeremy Manning 2, Johnny Watt

England: Try: Mark Siddons; Con: Rob Cooke; Pen: Cooke

The Irish side, coached by Dublin University's Tony Smeeth, had to come from behind to beat the visitors in a game which marked Munster out-half Jeremy Manning's debut for Ireland on the international stage.

The former New Zealand Schoolboy international converted Michael Hastings'
    28th-minute try, which saw the Trinity student fly up in support to dot
    down, after the English had gone in front thanks to a 13th-minute
    penalty from their number 10 Rob Cooke.

Ireland's lead was short-lived however - the visitors, whoshowed
    their strength at set piece time,took a 10-7 lead into the break as
    lock Mark Siddons got onthe end of an excellently-worked lineout maul
    to cross for his side'sonly try, which Cooke added the extras to.

Slowly but surely the more experienced Irish sidetook control and a
    big effort in the final quarter saw them pick off two converted tries
    to seal the win. The first arrived when UCC flanker Barry O'Mahony battled bravely at the breakdown and won turnover ball which was ferried out to centre McFadden who finished with aplomb.

Manning converted that score and the finish touching was added by
    pacy Russian-born winger Artemiev who managed to ground the ball
    despite the best defensive efforts of Liam Lonnergan. Trinity's Johnny Watt made it a seven-pointer and it was job done for the Universities XV.</div>
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Is Artemiev Irish qualified yet?.. time spent in school doesn't count. Afaik

Comment

Looks like Manning didnt finish the game.

My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Neither is qualified yet, Manning will be in August I think.

Artemiev only officially took up residence here when he finished school, as you say, time in school doesn't count in residency terms (sportswise). He is someone we should really try and poach down to Munster.

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
          Artemiev only officially took up residence here when he finished school, as you say, time in school doesn't count in residency terms (sportswise). He is someone we should really try and poach down to Munster.

Eh Hello. You've had Lewis now f**k off[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Looks like it was both their last games as well

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
              True, the Russian has been capped by Russia now at any rate, iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyFantastic
                Originally posted by RobbieG
                True, the Russian has been capped by Russia now at any rate, iirc.

I believe that because he was at boarding school here in Ireland and his permanent address was still with his parents(no idea where that is) that he didn't qualify through the residency ruling which meant that heif he was offered a contract by a province he would still have cost them a NIQ place. I believe that it was primarly rugby matters though that meant he was dropped from the Leinster set up.
                \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

He'll do well with Russia anyway, they're the coming side, give it ten years and they'll be a serious force. I think they are already the highest ranked European side outside the 6N now.

Comment

If Niall O Connor isgetting picked in Irish squads thenManning still has some hope.

Comment

Originally posted by overthehillprop

I believe that because he was at boarding school here in Ireland and
                      his permanent address was still with his parents*(no idea where that
                      is)
                      His parents refused to emancipate him, its a very complicated story I'm
                      told.
                      Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cahill

his permanent address was still with his parents(no idea where that
                        is)
                        told.

His father wasn't the great emancipator then ?

Comment

Originally posted by Point

his permanent address was still with his parents*(no idea where that
                          is)
                          His parents refused to emancipate him, its a very
                          complicated story I'm told.

His father wasn't the great emancipator then ?
                          Bleeding terrible joke [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]
                          Comment

his permanent address was still with his parents(no idea where that
                            is)
                            told.

Comes from an exceptionally wealthy family. And contrary to opinion he was good enough in my view. I haven't seen a better finisher playing schools rugby since. Like so many- just got lost in the leinster academy. At that time leinster players either made it at leinster or packed it in.

Very little tradition of going to munster from leinster, in fairness playing for Russia is probably better than playing for Connacht and again Ulster usually pick from their own academy and bring in what they don't have from abroad. There isn't huge movement among the provinces - nowhere near as much as there should be. But someone like him could have been tried out at one of the other provinces- especially Connacht.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw

I believe that because he was at boarding school here in Ireland
                              and his permanent address was still with his parents*(no idea where
                              that is)
                              His parents refused to emancipate him, its a very
                              complicated story I'm told.

Comes from an exceptionally wealthy family. And contrary to
                              opinion he was good enough in my view. I haven't seen a better
                              finisher playing schools rugby since. Like so many- just got lost in the
                              leinster academy. At that time leinster players either made it at
                              leinster or packed it in.

Very little tradition of going to munster from leinster, in fairness
                              playing for Russia is probably better than playing for Connacht and
                              again Ulster usually pick from their own academy and bring in what
                              they don't have from abroad. There isn't huge movement among the
                              provinces - nowhere near as much as there should be. But someone
                              like him could have been tried out at one of the other provinces-
                              especially Connacht.
                              Don't know if they were wealthy or not, he wass estranged from his
                              family, lived with the Fitzgeralds for his entire time here, never went
                              home, never wanted to go home and didn't have a penny of his own.
                              He was in Blackrock on a scholarship.

He didn't have the hands, ball in hand he was like Denis Hickie on
                              speed...making sure it stayed in his hands was the problem.
                              Comment

Working...
                              X