Do we care about the Championship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we care about the Championship?

My first post/topic! Hey all. Was thinking quietly to myself today when commentators were discussing our points difference versus that of France, that I don't care if we win the Championship or not.

There's no escaping the fact that for the last 3 years at least, this team has been capable of a GS. The players muted reaction to another TC suggests they feel the same.A scrappy Championship winshouldn't satisfy anyone

What do Ireland play in, the Grand Slam tournament or the six nations championship?

Comment

Originally posted by limerickstag

My first post/topic! Hey all. Was thinking quietly to myself today when commentators were discussing our points difference versus that of France, that I don't care if we win the Championship or not.

There's no escaping the fact that for the last 3 years at least, this team has been capable of a GS. The players muted reaction to another TC suggests they feel the same.A scrappy Championship winshouldn't satisfy anyone

Welcome stag. Good question.

I want to win championship, I shouted for England today and didnt feel bad about it either. The power of Croker.

I think the nature of the celebration yesterday reflected the poor performance against Scotland.
      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Well, when you look at the history books, any sort of championship win would be welcomed by any Irish rugby fan with very open arms...fact of the matter is, there is a lot of generations of Irish fans, who have not seen 1 in their life times....so it should never be scoffed at.....

I know the point you are trying to make though, in that there is a bitter taste in the fact we didnt deliver the slam this year.....

Anyway, I firmly believe France will destroy Scotland next week, and we will struggle to win in Italy....so dont think we will sneek the crown by the back door....we played at Scotlands level yesterday,and while they defo played better than they had been doing, France will destroy them all over the park....even if France play poorly,I cant see the Scots within 10 points....far more if the French,as I suspect they will, show up......
        Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Just think, if we had showed up yesterday we would be in pole position.
          Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
          http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

It really seemed set to be our year, the Croker factor, no major injuries... Felt v strange cheering on all those blonde bodybuilders today!

Comment

LL, I have never seen a championship. I said before the 6n that I would
              bite my foot off for one(figuratively speaking) and that if we got a
              slam all well and good.

Comment

I think we'll put a fair bit past Italy and could see France having a sulk against Scotland because there's no GS at stake (thats if they think like me!)

Comment

People need to appreciate that our playing pool resources are small and that a Championship is a major achievement just as winning the 5 Nations was for any team in days gone by.

People have become obsessed with slams because ENgland went on and on about them through the media for years before the World Cup and then somehow Wales managed to win one.

Scotland (similar playing pool) would tear your arm off to be in our position right now.

Ireland - Champions

^^
                  How does that sound to you?

Comment

I'll be quite happy with a championship win - to be the best side in the
                    NH this year, though a good performance against Italy to seal it would
                    be appreciated.

That would set the baseline expectation for next year.
                    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

I was going to post this very same question but I feared I'd get lashed out of it for posting such a thing.

I'd rather we played well next week. I'm so appalled at the performance yesterday and the lack of decisiveness by EOS that I wont be back to myself till at least Wednesday.

Comment

A slam would have been good, a championship is still worth winning. We have been runners up too many times recently.

Realisticly a RWC would be worth sacrificing a 6N for but it isn't a case of that, annd a RWC is a real outsiide bet even if we are one of the top rated Northern Hemisphere teams. I would say Championship please and worry about the RWC later. The shame is it is not in our own hands - we need others to do their part too.

Comment

Well if we win by 70 thats it taken care of[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
                            Well if we win by 70 thats it taken care of[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

Not if the french win by 67[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

I'd be f**king delighted with a Championship, a Grand Slam is extremely hard to do especially with 6 Nations now. I've never seen a Championship being won by Ireland, all I grew up with was wooden spoons so sorry if I won't get involved in the self loathing here and bemoan not winning the Grand Slam and ignore that winning the Championship would be a great achievement.
                              Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Working...
                              X