• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tindall: England can win silverware

<DIV>[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]</DIV>
    <DIV>Tindall insists England can claim silverware
    Friday, 9 March 2007 09:24
    Watch all of this year's RBS 6 Nations matches live on RTÉ Two and RTÉ.ie/sport. Listen to all of Ireland's matches live on RTÉ Radio 1 FM, MW and LW 252.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Mike Tindall believes England's RBS 6 Nations title hopes are still alive - despite a record tournament thumping against Ireland at Croke Park.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    England, destroyed 43-13 in Dublin, must beat Grand Slam-chasing France at Twickenham on Sunday, then see off Wales at the Millennium Stadium six days later to have any realistic chance of silverware.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Even two victories might not be enough, given England's considerably inferior points difference compared to the French and Irish.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    But Gloucester centre Tindall insists England have everything to play for, starting with their match against France - a match that will see the world champions go into battle without injured trio Phil Vickery, Jonny Wilkinson and Andy Farrell.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Tindall said: 'I don't think the Ireland defeat will be out of the system until we have redeemed ourselves a little bit. I read somewhere that the Grad Slam had gone and the championship had gone, but in my eyes, the title hasn't.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'If we get a good win on the weekend, and then in Wales, it is going to come down to points difference.'</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    England boss Brian Ashton has made 11 changes, including three positional switches, from the side 'stuffed,' as the coach put it, by Ireland.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Mike Catt, the 35-year-old London Irish veteran, returns as captain to partner Tindall in midfield, while wing Jason Robinson is back after injury.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    In addition three forwards - Tim Payne, Tom Palmer and Tom Rees - make their first Six Nations starts, and number eight Martin Corry has been moved into the second-row.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    But England will not lack motivation to make amends for their Dublin debacle, a performance that Ashton admits was unacceptable.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Tindall added: 'We had a really bad first half, which was very disappointing, then we had a good first 15 minutes at the start of the second period and scored a good try, before I think we got a bit carried away.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'We had got ourselves back to 26-13, but after the try I think we thought we could score from anywhere. We didn't really play smart, which is something we have had to learn.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'For me, it was frustrating, because as a back-line we ended up standing toe-to-toe off slow ball. And with Ireland fired up as they were, it made it a difficult evening.'</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    England have not beaten France since the 2003 World Cup semi-final success in Sydney, and their last Six Nations success against them was earlier that year.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    Unsurprisingly, Tindall expects a fierce examination and points to French form on the road this season as confirmation of Les Bleus' threat.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'The big thing about this French team is the way they have performed away from home,' he said. 'They won at Croke Park and (against Italy) at Stadio Flaminio. It is a team that travels well and plays well, so this is a big challenge for us.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'We have got to try to focus on what we are doing, and not get drawn into what other people want to do. We know that if we are loose in terms of our tackling, France will keep the ball alive, drive it and then offload again. They will be a different test to Ireland.</DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>
    'With France, there is still a situation whereby you can get them on an aver
    <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
    http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
    </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Bless 'em
    The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

"silverare" what that when its at home Ruck[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

it's a typo, now corrected, Cloudette.
        </a>

Comment

I thought they were redeeming those 50 little stamp things you collectin Dunnes forthe fork 'n' spoons set[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

A team looks to its more senior members for leadership and hope, and that's what he is trying to provide. Considering that Ashton has stated that he thinks they're in the "2nd division" now, they need all the positive thinking they can get.
            How come when Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider he gained superpowers yet when Alexander Litvinyenko ate some sushi laced with polonium he lost his hair and died? Once again it\'s one rule for comic book superheroes and another for KGB turncoats.

Comment

Sure that's nothing - Enda Kenny has stated that he will be thenext Taoiseach!
              New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

calcutta cup?
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Jez, Tindall is hopefull. They would be a mid table ML side.
                  Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                  http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

He better hope he doesn't get a drugs test after the match, theres no tellin what they'll find
                    Is it only a game?
                    And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond

Comment

Mike Tindallmight be a bit like OJ Simpson in his claims. OJ reckons he too might be the daddy of Anne Nicole Smith's baby as he has "slow moving sperm". Must have a slow moving brain too, as I thought the baby was white.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03072007...gesix/o_j__a_s mith_dad_candidate_pagesix_.htm

Unrepentant Langer

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts

Mike Tindallmight be a bit like OJ Simpson in his claims. OJ reckons he too might be the daddy of Anne Nicole Smith's baby as he has "slow moving sperm". Must have a slow moving brain too, as I thought the baby was white.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03072007/gossip/pagesix/o_j__a_s mith_dad_candidate_pagesix_.htm

Impressive web gossip, Paulie! Do you have a lot of free time?[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                        "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger
                          calcutta cup?

Indeed they have won the Calcutta cup &amp; Ireland under Eddie are
                          strong favourites for the triple crown. I declare this season a
                          fantastic sucess for both England &amp; Ireland[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img].

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                          Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork
                            Originally posted by Hugged Rugger
                            calcutta cup?
                            Indeed they have won the Calcutta cup &amp; Ireland under Eddie are strong favourites for the triple crown. I declare this season a fantastic sucess for both England &amp; Ireland[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img].

Dont forget we've already won the millenium trophy so if we beat scotland we'll have 2 trophies
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

What the hell is the millenium trophy?
                              </a>

Comment

Working...
                              X