The New Lads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Lads

Right lads, what's the verdict? Boss, Young and Rory Best have now all had a decent shot against SH opposition. We've been screaming for EOS to experiment a little after such single minded selection down under in the summer so what did ye think?

Boss - played very well under the conditions yesterday i thought, little bit headless chicken at times and should have put someone in in the build up to the Murphy disallowed try, but very lively overall and should be given another start against the PI.

R Best - Excellent line-out throws, decent amount of work around the park, not sure he'll keep out Fla for the 6N though.

Young - Disappointing i thought. I was a big fan from what i'd seen him do in Ulster and Ireland A jerseys but thought he was a little nervous yesterday and didn't contribute too much in the loose. Horan's position is safe (when back from injury that is)

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil

Right lads, what's the verdict? Boss, Young and Rory Best have now all had a decent shot against SH opposition. We've been screaming for EOS to experiment a little after such single minded selection down under in the summer so what did ye think?

Boss - played very well under the conditions yesterday i thought, little bit headless chicken at times and should have put someone in in the build up to the Murphy disallowed try, but very lively overall and should be given another start against the PI.

R Best - Excellent line-out throws, decent amount of work around the park, not sure he'll keep out Fla for the 6N though.

Young - Disappointing i thought. I was a big fan from what i'd seen him do in Ulster and Ireland A jerseys but thought he was a little nervous yesterday and didn't contribute too much in the loose. Horan's position is safe (when back from injury that is)
    Would largely agree with the above. I was absolutely screaming at boss to put it wide when he cut inside. That said, he had a good game overall and it's nice to know that we have another SH capable of exerting a little pressure on the incumbent. Himself and Neil Best obviously have the same stylist...

Is minic a bhris béal duine a shróin

Comment

yea boss was very good alround except for afew kicks over the rucks he out played Giteau, hope to see him again next week. best playd like white from scotland crunching tackles for an hour

hickie was also very good i dont think trimble would have scored that try
      If The Flintstones has taught us anything, it\'s that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

Comment

N. Best - the find of the season so far. We'd Flannery last year & D'Arcy 2 years ago. He's really added to our BR.

R. Best : unfortunatly for Frankie, he's 3rd choice hooker now although he should play against PI's. Flan has the edge with his around the field play but Best has proved as good in the elementary job of hooker.

Boss : I was impressed, excellent defence & while he did take the wrong option at times, that should improve with games. Serious strenght. A completely diff type player to stringer which gives us a very good bench option.

Young - needs another few games to make an impression but he struggled a little.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Delighted Best got MOTM, should make it harder for Eddie to revert to type and put Easterby back in
          Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Boss just needs some experience I'd say and he could tunr into a really good scrum half. Has a fair turn of pace and a lot of strength, good pass just needs to work on his decision making which will come with time.

Neil Best is an animal - man of the season so far.

R. Best, very good. Fla if he comes back at the same level as last season would still be ahead of him but we now have no worries in this position should he get injured.

Would like to see Paddy Wallace play 40 minutes with stringer next week and if he's fit try out trimble in the centre. We really need to blood some replacement locks as well as I'm not sure from watching the A game that MOD, Hogan, or McCullough are up to it yet.

Geordan murphy played well also, still almost nothing between him and dempsey. His line kicking yesterday was very good.
            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

I agree with what is being said here - Best was superb and deserver MOM. I also thought Boss did well, added a new dimension to Ireland's game - I hate when he takes a couple of steps before he passes.
              Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Boss was fine, he certainly showed he isn't out of his depth at this level but at the moment Stringer remains ahead but Boss with a few more games could start putting pressure on. Boss maybe took one or two bad options but his physicality was noticeable but then so was his slightly slower pass, but then the conditions may have played a part there even Stringer threw a couple of ropey passes when he came on.

R.Best was excellent again, one thing i'm noticing about him is that he is is quite good at turning over opposition ball, he's not as prominent (not even near in fact) in the loose as Flannery but it could be close enough between them with Flannery just having the edge.

N.Best on the basis of the last two weeks has only Jerry Collins ahead of him in his position, what a find, but us Ulster fans have known it all along.

Young did alright, he'll start next week now with Horan's injury so the extra experience will do him good, he might as well not exist in the loose though but he's there primarialy to scrummage.

Hickie did all that could be asked of him, it's pointless to say Trimble wouldn't have scored that try, would Hickie have scored Trimble's last week? would Trimble have had the extra power to make it in the corner at the end yesterday? Still with Hickie we know we have top drawer cover.

Murphy had a good game IMO, he can't be faulted and hopefully it would help his confidence, Dempsey should still be the man in possession though. It will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald starts at FB on Sunday.

Comment

would have boss in my team any day before peter stringer.

Comment

You might but I wouldnt. Strings has been in superb form.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

bet my team would beat yours. stringer may be in great form but he's a one trick pony. boss has great potential, whether he realises that potential we'll just have to see - i just hope he is given the encouragement to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

Boss was fine, he certainly showed he isn't out of his depth at this level but at the moment Stringer remains ahead but Boss with a few more games could start putting pressure on. Boss maybe took one or two bad options but his physicality was noticeable but then so was his slightly slower pass, but then the conditions may have played a part there even Stringer threw a couple of ropey passes when he came on.

R.Best was excellent again, one thing i'm noticing about him is that he is is quite good at turning over opposition ball, he's not as prominent (not even near in fact) in the loose as Flannery but it could be close enough between them with Flannery just having the edge.

N.Best on the basis of the last two weeks has only Jerry Collins ahead of him in his position, what a find, but us Ulster fans have known it all along.

Young did alright, he'll start next week now with Horan's injury so the extra experience will do him good, he might as well not exist in the loose though but he's there primarialy to scrummage.

Hickie did all that could be asked of him, it's pointless to say Trimble wouldn't have scored that try, would Hickie have scored Trimble's last week? would Trimble have had the extra power to make it in the corner at the end yesterday? Still with Hickie we know we have top drawer cover.

Murphy had a good game IMO, he can't be faulted and hopefully it would help his confidence, Dempsey should still be the man in possession though. It will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald starts at FB on Sunday.

Are you still a bit drunk from the weekend? Great game but lets wait a while before we have his coronation ceremony.

As for the try issue Id say Hickie would have scored, he is also powerfully built and despite what people may say is still a speedster.

Comment

Originally posted by socks
                          bet my team would beat yours. stringer may be in great form but he's a one trick pony. boss has great potential, whether he realises that potential we'll just have to see - i just hope he is given the encouragement to do so.

If he plays well enough he will be picked.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by mullet is gone
                            Originally posted by blackadder

Are you still a bit drunk from the weekend? Great game but lets wait a while before we have his coronation ceremony.

As for the try issue Id say Hickie would have scored, he is also powerfully built and despite what people may say is still a speedster.

Name me a better 6 currently playing test rugbythan Best in the world at the moment on current form? (remember i said the basis of the last two weeks). I'll give you Collins, you give me another...

Comment

I dont think there is one Blackadder. Its not like this is a once off either. He was superb against Toulouse in the HC too. Dusatoir was absolutely hammered by him in one of the tackles.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                              X