considering spicing up the international programme every November and
    June in the two years before the World Cup so that all results
    contribute towards an old-style merit table, from which the seedings
    for the World Cup can be made. Such a development would add interest to
    games that have become a little stale, with under-strength sides often
    on show from touring countries who are at the end of their seasons,
    while it should also help avoid the farcical situation in France this
    September when three of the world's top six nations - Ireland, France
    and Argentina - have been lumped together in the same pool.

Finally, on the subject of Argentina, the IRB
    are again lobbying the SANZAR (South Africa, New Zealand and Australia)
    countries in an attempt to persuade them to allow the Pumas into the
    Tri-Nations - which has gone off the boil a little and could do with
    refreshing.

"We have to somehow give them a
    competition," insisted Millar. "It's all right giving them money but
    money won't solve their problem."

With existing television contracts running until 2010, however, it is difficult to see how anything could change before them

Originally posted by RobbieG

"We have to somehow give them a
    competition," insisted Millar. "It's all right giving them money but
    money won't solve their problem."

Do what they did when the Rugby League "World" Cup was held in the UK, run an "emerging nations" competition parallel to the senior one, using smaller venues in the same towns
    Comment

16 is more than enough, there have been some terribly one-sided games of no benefit to anyone in past World Cups. That "Emerging Nations Trophy" idea is good and couldcarry the additionalbonus of giving the winner a spot in the following RWC. Also spreading interest in the game by having games spread througha variety oflocations where large stadia are not required.

Still don't get what they're at with this "points for Summer Tests" scheme, if they waited until a year before the RWC started to make the draws, using the current IRB rankings,then the farcical situation regarding the IRL/FRA/ARG pool wouldn't have happened regardless.

Comment

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #4a4a4a; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I agree with the 16 team format, however if seeding is based on Autumn Internationals, I’m sure strategic picking of opponents would come in to play......the poor ABs would never get a game!@@@@/SPAN>

Comment

Originally posted by Skyhawk

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; COLOR: #4a4a4a; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I agree with the 16 team format, however if seeding is based on Autumn Internationals, I’m sure strategic picking of opponents would come in to play......the poor ABs would never get a game!@@@@/SPAN>

Autumn and Summer internationals are decided by the IRB, not by the host countries.

Comment

16 teams and an emerging nations sounds good.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Point

Autumn and Summer internationals are decided by the IRB, not by the host countries.

I didn't know that....I always though that decision was made by the unions involved [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img](I stand corrected)

Comment

Using the summer and autumn internationals as a seeding method is a terrible idea. Those matches are about the only time a lot of countries (Ireland in particular) take chances and blood new players. If these test series counted towards the RWC, Ireland would be slower than it already is at finding new talent on the international level.[img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img]

Comment

I wonder if they asked those countries, what they thought.....

"We have to somehow give them a competition," insisted Millar. "It's all right giving them money but money won't solve their problem."

Comment

Originally posted by Point

@@@@SPAN style="font-size: 8.5pt; color: rgb(74, 74, 74); font-family: Verdana;">I agree with the 16 team format, however if seeding is based on Autumn Internationals, I’m sure strategic picking of opponents would come in to play......the poor ABs would never get a game!@@@@/SPAN>

I didn't know that....I always though that decision was made by the unions involved [img]smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif[/img](I stand corrected)

Its why some poor b*****d always gets stuck with a tour to Argentina.
                    Comment

Agree with The Bandwagon that it would put the mockers on autumns as a stage for blooding new players, which would be a loss.

I like the emerging nations idea - would it not be possible to play them as double headers in the one venue? It is becoming less and less tenable to have amateurs playing professionals.

Where does the 16 come from though? If they were to go with:

New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, Ireland, England, France, Wales, Scotland, Italy, Pacific Islands (can't see Tonga/Samoa/Fiji in world cups on their own), Canada, USA then you're still looking at two of Namibia, Romania, Georgia, Uruguay etc aren't you?
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Correct and true Balla. There aren't even 16 teams that are competetive in actual fact, 12 tops. In addition, England had a far better proposal than France for this years WC which included a 16 team AND a second tier WC for emerging countries. So what are Miller and co doing? Reinventing the wheel?
                        It was the couple of fixtures in Cardiff and Murrayfield that swung the vote to the French. They wanted one in Lnasdowne too but with the redevelopment scheduled that was out, so it was down to our traditional anglophobia to vote for France. Or maybe it was just the prospect of a Sunny September?
                        Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Working...
                        X