Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland Vs Pacific Islanders

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/...ts/EU_SPT_RUGU _Islanders.php

@@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Caucau, Sititi, Domolailai depart Islanders camp@@@@/SPAN></font>

DUBLIN, Ireland: Winger Rupeni Caucaunibuca and flanker Semo Sititi will be unavailable for the Pacific Islanders' last rugby tour match against Ireland after leaving the squad on Sunday.

Both cited personal reasons.

Caucaunibuca scored a try in his Islanders debut in the 34-22 loss to Scotland on Saturday but was replaced early in the second half. The Fijian star returned to his Agen club, for whom he has been the top tryscorer in France's Top 14 for the previous two seasons.

Sititi, the Samoa captain, played in the tour opener against Wales and came off the bench on Saturday at Murrayfield. He returned to Japan, where he plays for NTT Docomo.

Fiji lock Isoa Domolailai will return to his Toulon club in France by Monday because of a recurring back problem, said Islanders coach Pat Lam.

Domolailai was the only injury after Saturday's defeat. Captain and lock Simon Raiwalui passed exams on the wrist he injured.

Lam was dismayed with the Islanders' effort against Scotland. For the second successive tour match, it trailed 31-5 at halftime.

"I am so disappointed with how we started," Lam said. "We were 30 points down before we began to make an impression."

The Islanders' last chance to make their mark on the first European tour will be against Ireland on Saturday in the last match before Lansdowne Road is redeveloped.<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

So we won't get to see Cau-cau - Agen must besaving him for the Leinster HEC games. [img]smileys/thumb-down.gif[/img]
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Eddie says he's going to consider a few of the lads who played well in the A game last Wednesday for this game. Who will that be I wonder ?

Having been at the game, I thought there were a few who merited a second look. Simon Best, possibly Ronan McCormack, Trevor Hogan, Keith Gleeson, Jamie Heaslip, Ferris, Staunton ([img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]!!!), Kearney and Fitzgerald. He may well give John Kelly a look in too. A solid enough performance from him on the night. If he's looking to the future, then the younger guys have to get a look in.

Comment

I'm guessing anyone who played both games so far will be ruled out. So no Hayes, ROG, POC, D'Arce &amp; BOD. Trimble to play centre perhaps if he recovers since Hickie should stay on wing.

I'm guessing we'll see something like the following.

Young, Sheehan, S. Best (PI scrum is non existant so EOS can do what he likes)

O'kelly, Hogan

Ferris, Heaslip &amp; Gleeson although Easterby could replace Gleeson with Ferris moving to OS.

Boss, P. Wallace (Stan to get 30mins)

Hickie, Lewis, Trimble (if fit otherwise B. Murphy), Fitzgerald

Dempsey/Murphy (a half each.)

So that's 1 or 2 munster players at most : keep our lads fresh for the Ospreys.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork

I'm guessing anyone who played both games so far will be ruled out. So no Hayes, ROG, POC, D'Arce &amp; BOD. Trimble to play centre perhaps if he recovers since Hickie should stay on wing.

O'kelly, Hogan

Ferris, Heaslip &amp; Gleeson although Easterby could replace Gleeson with Ferris moving to OS.

The Ospreys game is next weekend as well, unless EOS releases our lads this week we will have the ML team out again

Comment

Barry Murphy hardly touched the ball last week unfortunately as it rarely got outside Lewis for whatever reason, or when it did it was skipped or quickly flashed out to the wing. He certainly didn't stand out. Not saying he's not entitled to a run out, simply that on last week's performance alone he wouldn't have shone. Ditto Lewis imo.

Comment

I suppose he could play Stan at 10, Wallace at 12 (his club pos) &amp; Trimble outside if the lad is fit. I'm speculating. I dont think we'll see BOD or Darce risked.
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Can't see Eddie making anywhere near that many changes. Think he'll bring in S.Best, Saint Luke, Ferris and (hopefully) Wallace, with maybe Frankie and Big Mal coming in too. Maybe Trimble to come into the centre, but doubt there'll be a totally new-look team. Definately one of Dorce or BOD to start.
                \"The Red Army defeated the external enemy because it was organised, disciplined and ready for self sacrifice.\"

-Alexandra Kollontai

Comment

Definitely need to blood some new second row cover. Malcolm O'Kelly doesn't look even interested in the last few appearances I have seen him make. MOD is getting little time with Munster when everyone else is on board. Also agree that Stan should get a half and would love to see trimble at 13 for a whole game with BOD rested and Fitzgerald given a run too.
                  Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork

O'kelly, Hogan

I'd love Eddie to pick this team, but he is never going to make that many changes...I have a terrible feeling that he will pick O'Gara again, and only give Wallace 20 mins...boss starts with stringer on the bench, Hogan possibly on the bench along with Luke Fitzgerald...same old same old from Eddie I fear

Comment

I heard Munsters international contingent will not be released for the Ospreys game.

Even any that are not in the match day 22 for the P.I. game.

Comment

He'll almost certainly play Ferris and Heaslip (hasn't he said as much already somewhere?). Sheahen will start as will O'Kelly so we're probably looking at a pack of

Young, Sheahen, Hayes, O'Kelly, O'Connell, Easterby, Ferris , Heaslip.

As for the backs it's anyones guess, he should start Boss again to help him build on yesterday but if he starts with Wallace then maybe Stringer will be needed for experience, will he start Wallace? He should so we can begin to decide one way or the other. If Trimble is fit he'll play left wing again as EOS will want him to play there as much as possible, i'd say BOD and D'Arcy will both start, he may be tempted to play Fitzgerald at FB or on the wing. I'd guess the backs to be

Stringer, Wallace, Trimble, D'Arcy, O'Driscoll, Horgan, Fitzgerald.

Personally i'd settle for that, Young gets another run, Ferris, Heaslip and Fitzgerald get their first caps and Wallace gets a start at 10 and you have a handful of senior players to guide them through. Replace BOD with 25-30 to go and move Trimble to 13 and voila it will be a worthwhile day's work.

Comment

He said clearly in the post match interview after Australia that he wants to give fringe players a run out in this match. I wouldn't expect fringe to mean too much but would expect

Young, AN Other, Best, Sheehan and Best to be front row contingent
                          DOC, MOK, Hogan locks
                          Ferris, (1 of Leamy, Best, Wallace), Easterby, Gleeson or Heaslip
                          Boss &amp; Reddan
                          Wallace &amp; either Staunton or ROG or even Murphy
                          Hickie, Kearney or Fitzgerald on wings
                          Duffy at FB or Kearney
                          Centres to be 2 from Trimble, Horgan, Lewis (if Trimble unfit see GDA there)

He's got positionals like Horgan in centre, Hickie and/or Duffy at FB, maybe Murphy on the wing to play with as well.
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

No way should ROG, BOD, Hayes or POC be risked for this meaningless
                            game. They'd be beaten well by Aus A so it's ideal to give the likes of
                            Stan, Wallace &amp; co a full INTL cap/game.
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

from the main deadsite

In addition to the 22 players who were on duty in the 21-6 win over Australia at the weekend, 10 players
                              have been called back into the Ireland squad in advance of next
                              Sunday's Guinness Autumn Test match against the Pacific Islanders.</font>They are as follows: Backs (4)- Luke
                              Fitzgerald (Blackrock College/Leinster), Eoin Reddan (London Wasps),
                              Barry Murphy (UL Bohemians/Munster)and Jeremy Staunton (London Wasps).</font></font>Forwards (6)- Matt
                              McCullough (Ballymena/Ulster), Jamie Heaslip (Clontarf/Leinster), Simon
                              Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster),
                              Ronnie McCormack (UCD/Leinster)and Keith Gleeson (St. Mary's
                              College/Leinster).</font></font>The Ireland team and replacements for Sunday's Test match will be announced by coach Eddie O'Sullivan on Wednesday afternoon (12.45pm). The Islanders will confirm their line-up on Thursday.</font><!-
                              var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
                              var SymReal;

Sym()
                              {
                              window.open = SymWinOpen;
                              if(SymReal != null)
                              SymReal();
                              }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
                              {
                              if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
                              SymReal&#079;nLoad();