• Time
  • Show
Clear All

english injuries

Vickery and Farrell join Wilkinson on England's lengthening injury list

Robert Kitson, Claire Tolley and Paul Rees
    Monday March 5, 2007
    The Guardian

England's captain, Phil Vickery, and centre Andy Farrell yesterday joined Brian Ashton's long list of injury doubts for Sunday's Six Nations game against France at Twickenham. After another injury-strewn Premiership weekend a quarter of Ashton's 28-man squad, including the fly-half Jonny Wilkinson, will be under the care of the England doctor, Simon Kemp, rather than the coaching team at today's training session in Bath.

Vickery suffered a hefty blow to the head playing for Wasps against Bristol yesterday and left the field looking extremely unsteady. He will have further tests today but Wasps' director of rugby, Ian McGeechan, insisted the prop was "fine". "The medics said there had been heavy contact but I'm sure he'll be OK," said McGeechan. "We'll speak to England but he recovered enough to come back out and sit on the bench."

Farrell, meanwhile, was yesterday morning ruled out of Saracens' win over Sale with a recurrence of back spasms he suffered in January. Alan Gaffney, Saracens' director of rugby, said that he expected the centre to be fit to report for England's training session in Bath today. "He's fine and he probably could have played today," said Gaffney. "He had a long drive on Friday and he became a little bit stiff as a result. He then trained fine but spent too long kicking and woke up feeling stiff. I wasn't under any pressure from England. I'm not being Mr Nice Guy: if he had been fit he would have played."

England refused to comment on their escalating fitness problems yesterday other than to say that Wilkinson, who limped out of Newcastle's defeat at London Irish on Saturday six minutes from the end with recurrent hamstring trouble, was being assessed last night by Newcastle and would be examined by Kemp today.

The Bath second-row Steve Borthwick, who picked up rib damage at Worcester on Saturday, was last night awaiting the results of a scan, with the club's head coach, Steve Meehan, saying the injury was a concern, and the Harlequins wing David Strettle sustained a dead leg at Leicester but was declared by his club not to be a doubt for Sunday.

Jason Robinson and Magnus Lund did not appear for Sale yesterday, because of neck and head injuries respectively, and the club's coach, Philippe Saint-André, admitted the wing's neck injury was still a concern, rating him only 50-50 to be fit for England's date with France.

The Wasps flanker Tom Rees suffered a bruised cheek during their match yesterday. In contrast the France captain, Raphaël Ibanez, remained on the bench in High Wycombe for the entire game.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD colSpan=3>
    <DIV =mxb>
    <DIV =sh>England trio to miss France clash </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <DIV> </DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Captain Phil Vickery, fly-half Jonny Wilkinson and centre Andy Farrell have all been ruled out of England's RBS Six Nations Six Nations clash with France.

In Vickery's absence, the recalled Mike Catt, 35, will captain the side from inside centre.

More soon. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by leftwinger

The Wasps flanker Tom Rees suffered a bruised cheek during their match yesterday. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]In contrast the France captain, Raphaël Ibanez, remained on the bench in High Wycombe for the entire game.

\'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
      Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629>
        <T>
        <TR>
        <TD colSpan=3>
        <DIV =mxb>
        <DIV =sh>England trio to miss France clash </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
        <TR>
        <TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
        <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right>
        <T>
        <TR>
        <TD>
        <DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Captain Phil Vickery, fly-half Jonny Wilkinson and centre Andy Farrell have all been ruled out of England's RBS Six Nations Six Nations clash with France.

All three were declared unfit after weekend injuries, prompting coach Brian Ashton to name a much-changed team.

In Vickery's absence, the recalled Mike Catt, 35, will captain the side, with Toby Flood starting at fly-half.

Julian White comes in at tight-head prop, Jason Robinson returns at wing and Josh Lewsey switches to full-back. <!- E SF ->

Former captain Martin Corry, overlooked in favour of Catt, moves into the second row, with Harlequins' Nick Easter starting at number eight. <!- E BO ->
        </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Comment

this could actually work out for england. Vickery and farrel probably had to go anyway. Wilkinson was'nt playing great against us. Its a massive step up for Flood but Catt and Tindall is not a bad centre pairing. I also thought Easter was quite good in the italy game.
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Corry in the second row????, what the hell has Bob Casey got to do to make that team?
            Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor
              Corry in the second row????, what the hell has Bob Casey got to do to make that team?

declare for england?

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

<H1>Ashton makes eight changes for France</H1>

Phil Vickery, Jonny Wilkinson and Andy Farrell were all ruled out through injury.

Staff and agencies
                  Tuesday March 6, 2007
                  Guardian Unlimited

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=140 align=right><T>
                  <T>
                  <TR>
                  <TD></TD>
                  <TD></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
                  <DIV>England's hopes of putting their record 43-10 Six Nations mauling in Ireland behind them against France this weekend looked altogether bleaker today when Phil Vickery, Jonny Wilkinson and Andy Farrell were ruled out through injury. </DIV>
                  <DIV>Vickery, who has not recovered from the concussion he sustained during Wasps' Guinness Premiership game against Bristol last Sunday, is replaced by Julian White, while Toby Flood will make his first Test start as replacement for Wilkinson, who has a right hamstring injury. Farrell, whose back strain has not responded to treatment, will be replaced by 35-year-old Mike Catt. Brian Ashton's changes don't end there, however: in total, there are eight changes of personnel and two positional switches in the England team that will line up against France at Twickenham on Sunday. </DIV>

In the pack, four players - prop Perry Freshwater, locks Louis Deacon and Danny Grewcock, together with flanker Magnus Lund - pay the price after England were outmuscled in Dublin. Martin Corry switches to the second row, while Jason Robinson has recovered from a neck injury to reclaim one of the wing berths alongside David Strettle, with Josh Lewsey moving to full-back in place of the injured Olly Morgan.

Wasps prop Tim Payne starts in the front row instead of Freshwater with Corry and Tom Palmer forging a new second-row partnership. In the back row, Joe Worsley keeps his place but there are starts for his Wasps colleague Tom Rees in the No7 shirt and Harlequins' Nick Easter at No8.

Deacon and Lund feature on the bench but Freshwater and Grewcock are dispensed with completely.

England team to play France in RBS 6 Nations Champions at Twickenham on Sunday, March 11: J Lewsey (Wasps); J Robinson (Sale), M Tindall (Gloucester), M Catt (London Irish), D Strettle (Harlequins); T Flood (Newcastle), H Ellis (Leicester); T Payne (Wasps), G Chuter (Leicester), J White (Leicester), M Corry (Leicester), T Palmer (Wasps), J Worsley (Wasps), T Rees (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins).

Replacements: L Mears (Bath), S Turner (Sale), L Deacon (Leicester), M Lund (Sale), S Perry (Bristol), S Geraghty (London Irish), M Tait (Newcastle).

Comment

That england team is interesting. TBH I'm nearly as much interested in this game as the Scotland one because with England at home and France due their one bad game things could all come together quite nicely for us!

Comment

Originally posted by Upfront_1979
                      That england team is interesting. TBH I'm nearly as much interested in this game as the Scotland one because with England at home and France due their one bad game things could all come together quite nicely for us!

Was thinking that earlier in the week but don't think Flood is up to this level yet. Corry to lock is probably a good move, not dynamic enough in the back row but will a very dynamic lock. Easter, like Flood, looks a clever footballer but big jump up for him. France by 12.

Comment

I don't think any line of that England side are a match for the French equivalent. Possibly the frontrow but it is close.

I think France will target the lineout and the 10 / 12 channel and WHEN they succeed in these areas will win the match comfortably. [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually...that England team looks good. Pace and guile. Could be interesting if they can cope with the Frenchers.

Comment

Well pros' for england are thats a much more balanced backline albeit with a rookie FH. I also think the Backrow looks muchmore balanced.

Con's are the second row does not look like it will dominate at lineout time although should be good in the loose and I don't think the front row will last the pace against the french and theres nothing on the bench to do anything about it. Team also has a lot of new faces so defensively may not be up to speed.

In order for England to win the pack need to take the defeat against us and do to the french what we did to England, the backline have to be very careful with their kicking and should keep it in hand as much as they can, and the French have to have one of their off or average days.

Its an unlikely scenario but...

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor

Bob Casey is Irish.

Comment

Working...
                              X