Italy Versus Wales...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy Versus Wales...

This game next week in Rome should be a real tense affair... Are the Italians favourites? They have a good team, I do not want to underestimate Italy's backs and defense. Players like
    Troncon, Mirco and Canale are underrated and could test Wales.
    Also, Mauro
    Bergemasco and Parisse are great players for Stade, and on great form.

I also read somewhere that the Italians will recieve a large amount of money, in the regions of a couple of hundred thousand euro if they win 2 six nations games and reach the world cup QF's..... massive incentive that..

On the other hand, Wales don't deserve to have lost 3 games so far.... literally they do, as they lost the matches, but this team is better than that, and a few early scores could mean they run away with the game, such is the ability of the Welsh.

Are the Welsh going into the game as underdogs?
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

The only game that Wales can be dissapointed with their performance in is against Scotland when an inferior team scrapped and scraped an ugly dogfight of a game and they can't allow themselves to be dragged back into that. I agree with you that Wales could run away with it if they get a few early scores, but the Italians could make it very difficult for them. They will have to adopt the same tactic as ireland should and play an expansive game, but not the farcical stuff that Scotland tried of course, and utilise their far superior backline. I think Wales will win this, but not without difficulty, and this will set them up to beat England in the final game of the 6N. I wonder if they will play Hook at 10 in that, this boy is a real prospect and all he is short of is a few more pounds of muscle.
    Unrepentant Langer

Comment

Ithink wales wont have much trouble with italy.

Comment

06/03/2007 - 3:10:45 PM

Italian rugby president wants more Azzuri glory

Italian rugby supremo Giancarlo Dondi has called on his players to build on their first away victory in the RBS 6 Nations Championship when they take on Wales in Rome on Saturday.

After watching the Azzurri shock Scotland 37-17 at Murrayfield on February 24 - only their fourth win in the tournament in 38 matches – Dondi is desperate for the side to register back-to-back wins.

“Certainly the win in Scotland has given us the right confidence and morale,” Dondi, the president of the Italian Rugby Federation, said.

“But now it is extremely important to build on that win with a victory against the Welsh this Saturday at the Flaminio Stadium.”

Italy’s win against Scotland means Gareth Jenkins’ Wales team are the only side without a victory in the 2007 Six Nations, leaving many to suggest the Welsh are underdogs for the trip to the Eternal City.

However, Dondi quickly brushed aside those sentiments, saying: “I don’t want to hear the word favourite used for us and against Wales. I believe they are a very good team and they are coming to Rome with the intention of beating us.

“They need a victory to boost their morale after three straight defeats, so Saturday will be very difficult for us. We must not make too many mistakes.”

Dondi also hailed the influential support of the Italian fans and was hopeful they would inspire the team to victory.

“I want to see my boys play a great game, even better than two weeks ago at Murrayfield,” he said.

“We need the best support ever from our fans, who have been outstanding in this tournament.”

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Hopefully Italy can win. For rugbys sake.

Comment

Originally posted by SkibRed
            Hopefully Italy can win. For rugbys sake.
            Will you say 'for rugbys sake' when Ireland play Italy as well then??

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think Wales will win this one, although, I want the Italians to win....... Not very fair on our Celtic brothers, but thats how I feel...

<div ="mxb">
              <div ="sh">
              Jones puts faith in Wales flair
              </div>
              </div>

<!- S BO ->
              <!- S IIMA ->

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
              <t><tr><td>
              <div>

<div ="cap">Jones hopes the Wales backs will see plenty of the ball in Rome</div>
              </div>
              </td></tr>
              </t></table>

<!- E IIMA ->
              <!- S SF ->
              Stephen Jones says the strength of their three-quarters makes Wales
              favourites to beat Italy in Saturday's RBS Six Nations match in Rome.

</font>

"I'm very confident," said Jones, looking for his first win as captain.
              </font>

"We've got a cracking back division. Kevin Morgan and Gareth Thomas are back so we've got every player available.
              </font>

"We've got so many good runners behind the scrum and
              hopefully we can as much ball as we can to them and let them show their
              talent."
              <!- E SF ->
              </font>

The lack of quality possession and field position are the key factors behind Wales' three defeats in this season's campaign.
              </font>

Wales are bottom of the pile when it comes to winning rucks and mauls, and losing their own lineout.
              </font>

Italy's strengths are in those exact areas, and their
              victory over Scotland two weeks ago highlighted the effectiveness of
              their blitz-defence.
              </font>

<!- S I ->
              <table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208">
              <t><tr>
              <td width="5"></td>
              <td ="sibStdQuote">

<div>
              <div ="mva">

We are the better team. We should beat Italy
              <br clear="all"> </div>

</div>

<div ="mva">
              <div ="mva">Wales centre Tom Shanklin</div>

</div>

</td>
              </tr>
              </t></table>

<!- E I ->

</font>

"We're looking forward to a difficult challenge," said
              fly-half Jones. "Italy in Rome is always a hard game. They are very
              good, efficient side and they'll be very confident after having a great
              victory in Scotland two weeks ago.
              </font>

"They've got a very good pack of forwards. The majority
              of them play for team in France and England - and play for the best
              teams as well.
              </font>

"We realise it's going to be a big challenge for us and we'll have to respect their forwards.
              </font>

"We need to be very competitive in the set-piece but
              from our attacking point of view we need to play with a lot of tempo
              and width.
              </font>

"But to do that we have to be efficient in the contact area.
              </font>

"Obviously the results so far haven't been good for us, but we're still positive and have got belief in our own ability.
              </font>

"We want to go out there and express ourselves and get the ball to our talented runners.
              </font>

<!- S IIMA ->

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
              <t><tr><td>
              <d
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

who'se the ref? Not scottish I hope
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger
                  who'se the ref? Not scottish I hope
                  Referee: Chris White (England)</font>

Comment

Or an Irish TMO...[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
                    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
                    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

Comment

FORZA ITALIA !!!!

I sincerely hope italy win, would love to see them do well.Their performance against France in the first game was hugely disappointing from a development perspective... they did well against England, and I've never been so torn watching a game as I was watching the Scotland v Italy match.. But this weekend.. I want an italian win... That way they won't be as anxious to put in a good performance against Ireland.

Unfortunately wales have a tendancy to depress me.. I really hope they don't get it together for this game though.

Plus an italian win over wales is the result I predicted before the 6nations started for the work prediction league
                      Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Celtic brothers me arse.......remember 1972 when our "brudders" denied us a Grand Slam by not showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoof Hearted
                          Celtic brothers me arse.......remember 1972 when our "brudders" denied us a Grand Slam by not showing up.

They would have beaten us. Inconvenient and rarely stated,but true, nonetheless! [img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                          X