Shaun Payne for WC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaun Payne for WC

It seems crazy to me that the best irish-qualified FB isn't even considered for the WC.Champers is basically a Girvan Dempsey with more assured handling, better running lines and more awareness. As a minimum he should be in the travelling party.

On a sidenote I wonder if his exclusion is based on some sort of nationalist bias: I hope not but given the facts it's kinda hard not to assume so.

Eamo
    I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
    HL Mencken

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

We all know the best FB in Ireland is Cunningham.

In all honesty tho, i don't think there is much between the 3 of them, just Dempsey has been providing Eddie personal favours over the last 5/6 yrs [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
    http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Glennon was going on about this last night on Newstalk. Sadly for Payne I think unless Dempsey and Murphy are both injured pre world cup Payne will never get a cap.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Payne is such a good fullback that the Munster reserves play him at wing threequarter? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Get a grip girls.
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Shaun Payne is easily the most reliable full back in Ireland at the moment, without him Munster would be nowhere now. He is an ever reliable last line defence. He is well deserving of an Ireland cap? But Perhaps Payne doesnt want to play for Ireland?
          ANY MANS FINEST HOUR, HIS GREATEST FULFILMENT OF ALL HE HOLDS DEAR, IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE HAS WORKED HIS HEART OUT IN A GOOD CAUSE AND LIES EXHAUSTED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE – VICTORIOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Payne is such a good fullback that the Munster reserves play him at wing threequarter? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

Get a grip girls.
            OD You watch enough rugby to know he is a fine player!

Personally though I wouldnt take him to the world cup either if I were in EOS position. He is pushing on and added to tht the fact thet he is only recently irish qualified would not be in his favour.

Comment

WUM 0/10

Payne isnt even the best full back in the Munster squad.

Comment

Originally posted by SkibRed
                WUM 0/10

Payne isnt even the best full back in the Munster squad.

What who exactly would be better than him? Surely not hopalong cullen?
                ANY MANS FINEST HOUR, HIS GREATEST FULFILMENT OF ALL HE HOLDS DEAR, IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE HAS WORKED HIS HEART OUT IN A GOOD CAUSE AND LIES EXHAUSTED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE – VICTORIOUS.

Comment

2 seasons ago, I was hoping Payne would be Ireland's FB. If Eddie had brought him in then, the Irish squad would be in a better position now. But it just doesn't make any sense to include him at the squad at this stage with the WC only a few months away.

Comment

This is nuts. [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Payne wont get anywhere near the Irish team at this stage.
                    they call it \'passion\', we call it pride

Comment

why should the fact that 'he is only recently qualified matter' ? When in a Munster jersey he has been nothing but totally committed. Birth is an accident of geography; soul is a choice: and he has shown his soul in a Red Jersey thus he dererves a shot in a green one on his merit irrespective of his time spent here.

Best Wishes

Eamo

to the 2 posters supra he is the form fullback in the country why not include him?

even if we only take him as backup to Girvan that allows a 'no change at fullback ' option. The alternative is to take G Murphy and have to change the gameplan to cover his defensive frailties.Personally I feel he's a better FB than Dempsey but thats an argument reserved for if he gets in the squad.
                      I believe that all government is evil, and that trying to improve it is largely a waste of time.
                      HL Mencken

Comment

Might keep costs down I suppose, provided he goes by bus
                        Comment

Picking Munster's no. 2 fullback at the age of 35 ahead of Super Rob would make Eddie seem an even bigger eejit than he already appears to be.

Good player though he undoubtedly is, the Payne train hasleft the station some time ago.
                          New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

Picking Munster's no. 2 fullback at the age of 35 ahead of Super Rob would make Eddie seem an even bigger eejit than he already appears to be.

Good player though he undoubtedly is, the Payne train hasleft the station some time ago.
                            I have to agree.

Comment

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]excellent idea. Pick a 33 (unsure but surely moving towards mid 30's) year old for his first cap when Swrivin in playing as good rugby as he ever has, Murphy who despite his flaws has been in storming for with Leicester and then ignore two young-guns from Leinster who might actually be around in 4 years time.

As i said excellent.

Comment

Working...
                              X