How Should we use the tour of Argentina

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Should we use the tour of Argentina

This has been going around in my head for the last 5 months and apologies if it has been posted before. Is there anything to be gained from this Summers tour? I know its not Eddies fault, the irfu just see money signs.If we win both games great but at what price, playing on rock hard ground. The last time we went out there at similar time of year we got beat up. I know we are a different proposition now but the All blacks barely came away from there with a win. I for one would be in favour of keeping all our front line players at home. Remember what happened Murphy before the last World Cup. Use it as a development tour in certain positions. If we win great if we lose but learn something all the better. I know the Churchill is on but in reality is there a comparison. I think this is one period where we might benefit from a Camp Carney
    \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
    \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

It's not the IRFU's fault, it's the IRB's fault- we won't get any money out of this tourto a country with a weak economy.

What I can't understand is why we couldn't swap tours with another 6N country who aren't playing in the Pumas' RWC Group. Common sense suggests that the IRB should have facilitated such a switch.
    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

What's the betting that EOS brings his 1st XV & squad on this tour? he might just do it.
      Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Bull, POC, Leamy, Wally, Stringer, ROG, Darse & BOD should not go on this tour.

Comment

I dont know why you wouldnt bring Leamy and Strings, the rest I agree with.

Comment

Hope a development side is sent out. Sending out the starting 22 as penciled in for the world cup would be madness.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I wouldnt agree with lambs to the slaughter either but with no November internationals next year to build from,i fear we might be in danger of becoming a jaded side a la England after 2003. I think with astute planning we could still put in a good performance there with a development team -which might indeed be better for morale than us sending our full side there. Winning but picking up a spaight of injuries and our World cup dream over before it beginsis possible, too possible to think about. The Argentinians will only be too aware what is at stake and the opportunities to inflictif we put out a full team. Unfortunately though it looks like that we're committed to the Churchill which all development players will be at. We wont have any on this tour so it will be rosary and novena time. Hope im wrong though!![img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]
              \"If you can dream it, you can do it\".
              \"To the cowardly and unfaithful, nothing is possible\"

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon
                Bull, POC, Leamy, Wally, Stringer, ROG, Darse & BOD should not go on this tour.
                Agreed. The tour should be used to find out who's going to fill the last 7 or 8 places in the World Cup squad.

I'd like to see Heaslip get a run at #8 because there is no experience behind Leamy (Foley is a non runner for the World Cup).

I'd like to see Rob Kearney given a run on the left wing. We know what Hickie can do and Trimble should be moved into the centre to replace O'Driscoll on this tour. If Barry Murphy can recapture the form of last season, he's more worthy of a place in the summer tour than Kieran Lewis.

Paddy Wallace must get both starts at flyhalf while Isaac Boss and Eoin Reddan should fight it out at scrumhalf.

Stephen Ferris should get a chance to showcase his talent as an impact replacement with Neil Best and Simon Easterby manning the flanker positions from the start.

I'd leave Luke Fitzgerald in the Churchill Cup squad and let him develop at fullback a bit more. Also, Sheahan and Jackman should be allowed fight for the third hooker spot in the Churchill Cup squad. Let Flannery and Best battle for the top spot in Argentina. On form, Jackman is probably the better bet right now to be the third hooker but Sheahan has far more international experience which could swing things his way.

As for the replacement tighthead, it will probably be Simon Best but with Hayes not going on tour (hopefully), who'll be the backup? Could Stephen Knoop (I think he'll have served his three years of residency) or Peter Bracken be a shock call up?

Comment

Jackman???????????????

He's like a carpenter who cant use a hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by epaddy
                    I dont know why you wouldnt bring Leamy and Strings, the rest I agree with.

Because as shown last week thay are essential to the cause and both would be flying in September after a break. the other reason is that there is decent enough cover there to make the team competitive. Ferris/Heaslip at 8 and Reddan/Boss at 9. I think BOD should go as Captain and play one game and the same for ROG. I`d also leave Bull and POC at home but the probelm is the cover is weak in these areas.

I think everyone knows the same 15 will start the next 10 Ireland games fitness allowing with the rest having to play in the Churchill cup.

Comment

We need to see what the fringe players have to offer to chose the WC squad.

Young, Best, Sheahan, Fogarty, Jackman, Bracken, Hogan in the front row.
                      MOK, MOD, Hogan, McCullough, Hoganin second row
                      Ferris, Heaslip, Gleeson, Quinlan, Jennings, Wilson
                      Boss, Reddan
                      Wallace, Staunton
                      Murphy, Fitzgerald, Kearney, Dowling, Lewis, Murphy, Trimble, Kelly

There's plenty of experience in that squad.

Those who don't make the cut for that squad would form the bulk of the Churchill squad, with the likes of Hurley, Willis, Sexton, Bowe being given good game time at the CC as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SkibRed
                        Jackman???????????????

You clearly haven't noticed Jackman's form since mid-lte December. He's never going to be a great lineout thrower but Leinster are currently winning most of the ball (I'd hazard a guess that it's up around 80%) on their own throw without the injured Mal O'Kelly as a banker for possession. His work around the field has been tireless with him putting in some crunching hits and showing up well in support and ball carrying.

Perhaps you'd prefer to go to the World Cup with an off colour Sheahan who has clearly lost a step (to put it mildly) and is once again plagued in the lineout with terrible accuracy. He isn't showing anything in the loose and doesn't seem to be showing any sort of leadership when the top players are on international duty.

The Frank Sheahan who was playing for a year up to his terrible injury is deserving of a World Cup squad place. The Frank Sheahan we've seen for the last 5 or 6 months is fit for the scrapheap. A once good player who through no fault of his own was forced to take time out of the game is now finished at the highest level in my opinion. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and Eddie O'Sullivan will have a tough decision to make with regards who should be the 3rd hooker but right now Jackman is the guy in form and thus should get on the plane to France. John Fogarty and Sheahan are next in line.

I'd rank the hookers like this at the moment:
                        1.Best
                        2.Flannery (he's the #1 once fully fit)
                        3.Jackman
                        4.J.Fogarty
                        5.Sheahan
                        6.B.Blaney
                        7.D.Fogarty (he'll climb higher once he gets more game time)
                        8.Flavin
                        9.Byrne
                        10.D.Blaney

Comment

Originally posted by Justtoby
                          Originally posted by SkibRed
                          Jackman???????????????

You clearly haven't noticed Jackman's form since mid-lte December. He's never going to be a great lineout thrower but Leinster are currently winning most of the ball (I'd hazard a guess that it's up around 80%) on their own throw without the injured Mal O'Kelly as a banker for possession. His work around the field has been tireless with him putting in some crunching hits and showing up well in support and ball carrying.

Perhaps you'd prefer to go to the World Cup with an off colour Sheahan who has clearly lost a step (to put it mildly) and is once again plagued in the lineout with terrible accuracy. He isn't showing anything in the loose and doesn't seem to be showing any sort of leadership when the top players are on international duty.

The Frank Sheahan who was playing for a year up to his terrible injury is deserving of a World Cup squad place. The Frank Sheahan we've seen for the last 5 or 6 months is fit for the scrapheap. A once good player who through no fault of his own was forced to take time out of the game is now finished at the highest level in my opinion. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and Eddie O'Sullivan will have a tough decision to make with regards who should be the 3rd hooker but right now Jackman is the guy in form and thus should get on the plane to France. John Fogarty and Sheahan are next in line.

I'd rank the hookers like this at the moment:
                          1.Best
                          2.Flannery (he's the #1 once fully fit)
                          3.Jackman
                          4.J.Fogarty
                          5.Sheahan
                          6.B.Blaney
                          7.D.Fogarty (he'll climb higher once he gets more game time)
                          8.Flavin
                          9.Byrne
                          10.D.Blaney

Not forgetting Paul "Brush" Shields at no 99?

New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

No offence but Jackman hasn`t a hope of going. He`s throwing is just not up to it and Leinster have now compensated for this by calling alot of ball to 2 or 4. They don`t get quality ball ever. He`s good with ball in hand but basics. Frankie has his off days but they`re relatively scarce in comparison to Jackass. I liked Fogarty of Connacht alot anytime I`ve seen him and reckon he`s probably next in line.

Comment

toomey Frankie is having an 'off' season.
                              Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Working...
                              X