To give Farrell his due...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To give Farrell his due...

... he did achieve something I thought no man could do. He made Mike Tindall look fast and dynamic and an international centre (by comparison).

And he makes Jamie Noone look good, the man who scored 2 tries (only 1 allowed) against the ABs.

Comment

Small time.

Comment

Originally posted by shtove
        And he makes Jamie Noone look good, the man who scored 2 tries (only 1 allowed) against the ABs.

but wasnt the allowed try after a forward pass? or was that someone else's try?
        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

England still cracked the AB midfield twice.

Comment

@@@@SPAN id=intelliTXT>

Saracens coach Alan Gaffney is "amazed" at the level of criticism Andy Farrell has received since England's record 43-13 Six Nations defeat against Ireland at Croke Park last weekend.

Farrell will return to domestic duty when Saracens tackle Guinness Premiership champions Sale Sharks at Vicarage Road on Sunday.

And although he has been retained in a 28-man England training squad for the Six Nations clash against France on Sunday week, Farrell's immediate Test future has been queried by the likes of former Test stars Will Carling and Jeremy Guscott.

Carling claims Farrell lacks sufficient pace for the highest level, while Guscott has advocated a return for 35-year-old Mike Catt at inside centre.

But Gaffney believes former Great Britain rugby league skipper Farrell, who has won just three union caps for England, has received unfair attention.

"Having extensively gone through the video of the England game and looking at it objectively, I thought 'Faz' was one of the better England performers," Gaffney said.

"I think the key here was I looked at the game objectively, which is something I am not sure that some people have been doing.

"He did pretty well when you consider he was playing behind a pack that was dished up by the Ireland forwards.

"I have even spoken to some of the Irish guys, and they thought he was one of England's better players. I am amazed at the criticism.

"If you look at the game, Ireland scored four tries in all. One came from an interception and another which they created.

"The other two were scored when Danny Grewcock was in the sin-bin, and not a lot seems to have been made about that, which is surprising. Nobody likes criticism, but what 'Faz' has received this week from some individuals has been completely unjustified."

Farrell has also gained support from ex-England scrum-half Kyran Bracken and current England captain Phil Vickery, although it remains to be seen whether he will retain his place for France's Twickenham visit.

@@@@/SPAN><!- /intelliTXT ->
            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Who has looked at tapes of the English game? If anything Mike Ford or Tindall should cop alot of the flak for lousy defensive allignment which led to poor defenisve execution. More importantly, if give the opposition fast ball all day, and fail to generate any yourself, you can't expect too much.

In the week prior to then game, Ford spoke of the need to compress the defense so the Irish midfield could not play off Farrell and fix him with angled runners, but what happened was that Tiondall played right offFarrel's shoulder leaving a huge gap that could be exploited when Dar'cy and O'Driscoll looped around or fed into the gap.. IMO, Tindall is just too experienced to do this unless operating under instructions. Ford, IMO, must take some responsibility.

In the second half, English line speed was improved but then the wingers seemed to sit back as the Enlish midfeiled moved up. Again. I dont see Farrell at fault at all. Tindall, yes, but was this because of Ford?

The english pack generated no quick ball all game untill that one broight sport for them in which they scored their try. How can Farrell be asked to carry the can for this?

Watch the tapes again. Edwards and Gaffney are right. Farrell wasn't the problem.

Comment

Would reckon Catt and tindall is the best midfield for the french game but a Farrell Tait combo might not be too bad although severely lacking experience it must be said.
                The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

In his three games for England Farrell hasnt once played wellat 12.He has done nothing to justify his inclusion based on club form either. No wonder people are asking questions. Tindall at least has a history of proven ability in Union although its hard not to come to the conclusion his best days are behind him too.
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

I think Farell has been pretty solid defensively throughout the 6 Nations. In fact as a centre pairing he and Tindell have conceded very little through the centre channels.

The problem with that partnership is their offence. Neither of them have great pace and both tend to run straight which means they are predictable and easy to defend.

Particularly if you are working from poor, slow ball a team really needs players who can work off each other, fix defences and create hole with good running angles.

This pairing offers none of that.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

In his three games for England Farrell hasnt once played wellat 12.He has done nothing to justify his inclusion based on club form either. No wonder people are asking questions. Tindall at least has a history of proven ability in Union although its hard not to come to the conclusion his best days are behind him too.

That is the main reason why people are picking on Farrell in my view.

The pairing is not working and it is much easier to point the finger at Farrell than Tindell.

To be fair the only ones defending Farrell at this stage are the Saracens coach, a Saracens legend and the England captain. If they were criticising him he should retire!

Comment

Farrell'sdistribution in the Scottish game was very good... and he played very well for Saracens in the two games prior to the Scottish game, earniong MOTM in one I believe. The Saracens fan forum was quite high on his game.

There will always be questions raised until he produces against quality opposition. Farrell will not do it with his running although he can have impact as a target for his forwards on slow ball. It's his distribution and ability to find the cut-out runner or the player coming into space in a flat-line attack that will distinguish him. The problem is that England are having to play too deep as they are simply not generating quick ball from contact. That is a team problem, not just a back-row issue. Until England generates some quick ball, anybody wearing an English shirt will look poor.

Comment

Bumped for Socks / Joey. Perhaps he suddenly got faster over the past year and will continue to do so? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                          My computer thinks I'm gay
                          What's the difference anyway
                          When all the people do all day
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Bumped for Socks / Joey. Perhaps he suddenly got faster over the past year and will continue to do so? [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
                            Are you drunk, high or both? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]
                            This is Gareth Edwards!
                            A dramatic start !
                            What a score!

manofmunster - \"foley must be the cutest hoor to ever take to a rugby pitch\"

Comment

so you're using one negative post on an internet chat forum from nearly a year ago to back up your assertion that andy farrell is no longer up to club rugby standard? not quite the johnny cockrain standard of argument, more lionel hutz really.

Comment

Working...
                              X