Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland&Italy-EOS Time to Develop Squad

Okay,

So now that Ireland have won solidly v Wales, lost narrowly v France & won superbly against a poor English side, the good, the bad and the absolutely orgasmic as it were, I think its time for EOS to use his squad system a bit. Any side that has serious ambitions in the WC are doing this at the moment especially France & NZ& we could meet both of those sides by the 1/4 final. After all the next big tournament Ireland go into, the WC,we will have touse our squad, otherwise we risk going out jaded in 1/4 final & the last group match, both of which we have done in WC 2003 & 99 respectively. Furthermore injuries have already disrupted the team disproportionately in this ch'ship indicating the best shadow (squad)options need to be tried, tested, issuesironed outand brought up to full speed so that Ireland can run as a team without some its usual cogs.

I'd really like to see EOS now pick some of 1 new prop, MOD at 2nd row, Best in B Row, Wallace at 10 and Trimble at 13 to sus our options for WC further. Even 3 of these changes would be good IMHO. In a well drilled side changes like this do not overly upset the balance of the team (Fra, ABs, Eng last WC, etc). Furthermore it will give these guys their chance to stake their claim for the 1st XV, playing Intl. championship football in a winning team, lastly it will rest a few guys with a lot of rugby played at this time of year e.g. hayes, POC or DOC, EBunny, ROG & BOD, which might be no harm at all.

EOS can always fill his bench with some of his trusty reliables to take over the show if things don't go well. 2/3 changes from abovein starting lineup and 2/3 made during the match would probably be the best way to go at this stage IMHO.

alas they are just north munster now.......

We've 6 games between the end of the 6N and the WC match against Argentina, that's plenty of time to experiment.
    Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Won't happen. Cooder is too worried about his record to do this, and has said as much publicly. He does not see the 6N as a build up for the RWC.
      Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Originally posted by Blindsider.
        Won't happen. Cooder is too worried about his record to do this, and has said as much publicly. He does not see the 6N as a build up for the RWC.

There is still the slim, SLIM chance we might win the championship...not on your life is Eddie gonna make changes.

I doubt we'll see all that much experimentation in the games leading up to RWC - certainly no-one who has not figured prominently in previous squads (expect Gleeson, MOK, G Murphy, maybe Bowe, Heaslip or Ferris. P Wallace to get a half, maybe a full game). it is the way the man works.

I would not rule out Maggs if BOD gets injured...[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

EOS actually said he's more worried about his own win/lose record than developing new players?

Comment

Daithi,

There is still the possibility that England could get their act together against the French. He won't change what is now seen as a good side, and I tend to agree with that. There is also the possibility that Scotland could beat a weakened (I mean experimental) side.Scots always do 1 good game. Eddie would be left with a lot of egg on his face if the English beat the French and Scotland put one over on us. They are not going to roll over anyway; it's not in the Scots nature.

We have a Summer tour to blood players (or get a hammering.....).

Comment

Let's not be taking anyone for granted. Scotland owe themselves and their long suffering support a big performance. And Italy will have their tails up against us, and feel that they have a wrong to put right after the corresponding game last season at Lansdowne.

We have 4 games pre-RWC and 2 easy Pool matches before the real fun starts in France. Right now, with Laporte still using the 6N for experimentation, the chances of a Championship, however slim, still remain. It would be crazy not to put out our best XV and hope England have some bit of a backlash left in them.

Comment

Working...
              X