International structures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International structures

I was thinking about the success of Italy and Argentina recently and it struck me that they are farming players out all over Europe which gives oppurtunities for home grown players to come through in there clubs and these then move on again allowing further young players to come through. It results in arelatively weak club sides but leads to a strong international panel as you have lots of guys to choose from whohave played first team rugby at a serious level.

Its the opposite of what has worked for Ireland and to acertain extent Wales where players are kept in club sides. It also appearslike it maybe the future for scotttish rugby.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Not unlike South American football teams who develop young talent and then ship them to richer european leagues ??? Thus allowing more young talent to come through - conveyor belt.........

Problem Scotland has, is it has such a small player base, that when good experienced players leave they are not necessarily replaced by much talent.

Comment

When you lookat players like Reddan, Keogh and Hogan who are now in contention for international call ups its clear they were being held back by being here. If it wasnt for Frankies injury would Fla have got his chance? Its great for the clubs though obviously tohave that sort of talent in reserve.

Is stare into a phone

Comment

Jury stiil out on Reddan (plus he went to wasps...) butI don't know why leinsterdon't start an Irish S-H(same goes for Prendy).

Experience abroad is often useful but as soon as they go you lack control of their game count - look at the scots (& murphy) who played in the GP in the weak out - as the game gets more & more physical the ability to control game time will become evermore essential. Plus look at Contemponi - teams will increasingly not release players.

Comment

You definitely lose control over the players but if you look at Scotland it may suit themperfectly. The provincial structure clearly isnt working as evidenced by low turnouts and players defecting. I'd imagine whichever route you go down it must be all or nothing.
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by plastic

Jury stiil out on Reddan (plus he went to wasps...) butI don't know why leinsterdon't start an Irish S-H(same goes for Prendy).

We have, his name is Cillian Willis. He's quite good on what we have seen so far but unfortunately is injured for rest of season.
            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

You did for a number of games when given no option as both front liners were injured. Up to that like Sexton he wasnt even sitting on benches. Player development at its finest.
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

IMO the french and english international teams are seriously suffering becuse of th enumber of foreign players in their leagues... I don't like the no. of foreign (scottish) signings ulster are making also. Two Scotishinternationals in are two fewer placedfor potential irish internationals... it's short term thinking...

Comment

Originally posted by sewa
                  You did for a number of games when given no option as both front liners were injured. Up to that like Sexton he wasnt even sitting on benches. Player development at its finest.
                  Because Munster throw 20 year olds into pivotal games to see how they play aaaallll the time.

Comment

Sewa, I had a reply to you on this but to be honest I could'nt be bothered. I would hate to deprive you of the obvious fun you get winding people up by having sly digs at otherprovinces. Please continue.

Comment

Easterby?

Comment

Plastic made a simple point. Why when there are so many Irish scrum halves out there like for example Reddan orPrendydid Leinster not try sign one of them instead of signing avery average scrum half from Oz?Anyway this thread isnt aboutirish players but about how various international teams adopt diferent structures so therelets cut out the hijacking.[img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

You took the first dig, you twit. I'm happy to leave it alone then.

Comment

That was my point.

I was impressed with Prendy when he came back with Bourgoin and we were lucky he wasn't in Geneva ! Ireland currently have a depth of talent that should be encouraged to stay. In some cases I would not be against younger irish talent going overseas where it will develop them further - more the southern hemisphere (than GP or T14); belive it was the making of The Bull and didn't do Martin Johnson too much harm either.

Comment

Do many Irish players go down under? Can't think of many, if any,currently playing in the S14?

Comment

Working...
                              X