The truth hurts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The truth hurts?

We threw away the grand slam this year. Its time for people to wake up and smell the coffee, last Saturdays game was a great day for the Ole Ole brigade but in reality we achieved nothing.

Thats how I feel anyway and I'm getting rather sick of all the look at us and our anthems bullsh1t, a good Irish team beat a bad English team, so what.

Wildrover i have some sympathy with what you're saying but Saturday remains a day i'll never forget.

We definitely should be aiming for the GS now but alas it's not to be, there's nothing that can be done about that nowso the next best thing the lads could do was hammer England and go on and win the Triple Crown and hopefully with a bit of luck the title.I suspect that defeat against France might be turned into a positive in about seven months time.

Comment

Originally posted by wildRover

We threw away the grand slam this year. Its time for people to wake up and smell the coffee, last Saturdays game was a great day for the Ole Ole brigade but in reality we achieved nothing.

Thats how I feel anyway and I'm getting rather sick of all the look at us and our anthems bullsh1t, a good Irish team beat a bad English team, so what.

Thanks for stating the obvious! Rugby is about winning and although we did throw away the Grand slam, our preformance on saturday showed what we are capable of playing well, its up to the players now to take the next step and try and be more consistant.

Comment

The hard reality is that if we had played both our games in Lansdowne we could well have beaten France because there would have been none of the pressure from playing in Croke Park involved.

I'd rather have played 2 won 2 than be where we are now.

Comment

Anyone would WR.

The perfortmance and result against France was a huge dissapointment. No doubting that.

Last Saturday's effort was excellent irrespective.

Comment

The hard reality is that if we had played both our games in Lansdowne we could well have beaten France because there would have been none of the pressure from playing in Croke Park involved.

You can also argue that if we had BOD and Stringer we would have won, come to think of it if Murphy made that tackle and if POC caught that ball from the kick off we may have won too. The point im making is there a lot of if's and buts, i agree we threw it away but its up to the players and management to learn from that and id prefer that we lostto France in the 6 nationsand learn from it so as not to do in in the RWC.

Comment

Who wouldn't swap a chance at a Grand Slam.

Everyine knows that the French match will come back to bite us in the arse.

Forme after both Munster & Leinster losing their last HEC grp games, and then Ireland's unconvincing display against Wales, and losing bitterly to the French...I was beginign to think did the Irish teams have it in them to be WINNERS again, was the fight still there inside them....BY GOD were those questions answered on Saturday.
              We not only hammered them, we beat them up physically.
              Roll on another Triple Crown, the re-start of the HEC and the RWC next Sept. Irish Rugby has had its lull period, now is time to step up another 10%.

Comment

spilled milk! Onwards and upwards.

Comment

I am of course delighted that the mainly Munster pack and half backsappear to have hit form again.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_langer1977

You can also argue that if we had BOD and Stringer we would have won, come to think of it if Murphy made that tackle and if POC caught that ball from the kick off we may have won too. The point im making is there a lot of if's and buts, i agree we threw it away but its up to the players and management to learn from that and id prefer that we lostto France in the 6 nationsand learn from it so as not to do in in the RWC.

And one could argue that if my Auntie had nuts, she would indeed, be my Uncle.

This years championship should be about one thing, and one thing alone - getting ready for RWC in France. Though I am far from a fan of Eddie, I think he will be in a much better position regarding the team(s) he needs to play in France and what tactics we use.

Look at the French - they don't honestly give a monkeys if they win the championship, as long as they have give different players a run out and tried different tactics. I'll go as far as to say the English have a good chance of taking their scalp in Twickers, thus giving us a good chance of winning the championship, BUT tbh I'd much rather we learn something in the tournament rather than win it and learn nothing.

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

The other thing is that while this team should be winning championships and Grand Slams, Triple Crowns shouldn't be sniffed at, after all in 120 odd years of test rugby we've only ever won 8 TC's so to make it 3 in 4 years would suggest that this is the best Irish side there's been even if at this moment in time we all know they're capable of bigger and better things. Let's not forget it took the great English side of the late nineties and early part of this decade 7 or 8 years to win a GS

Comment

The triple crown is realitive to how good we and other teamsare. Winning the TC is fine for a mediocre team but Ireland are at grandslam level. Another thing about the TC is Wales and Scotland are gone way down the rankings so its more a case of beating England and not slipping up against the other 2 at the moment.

Comment

I prefer the Ole Ole brigade to the pi*s n moan brigade. Last year in twickenham it was a case ofa good Irish team beating a bad English team, Saturday was different. Saturday was a record score against England. Saturday was an excellent performance from every player in green in a ridiculously pressurised environment. Were you saying 'so what' when Boss ran over to push us over the 40 point mark?? Yes the media might be going a little over the top but that's what the media does. When it goes wrong they're probably overly critical. Some people love projecting this 'winner' mentality like they are the next fcukin Keano or something. Sure the players need to have that mentality to go to the next level but as supporters we can look at the reality of the situation and realise that we're achieving about thedeserved level of success in relation to our current crop of players.

Comment

The triple crown is realitive to how good we and other teamsare. Winning the TC is fine for a mediocre team but Ireland are at grandslam level. Another thing about the TC is Wales and Scotland are gone way down the rankings so its more a case of beating England and not slipping up against the other 2 at the moment.

When is winning anything not a question of the relative strengths and of you and your opposition?

All in, it is a disappointment that we came so close to beating France, especially when you see what this team is capable of.

But why not celebrate the sort of performance that everyone has been demanding?

What's the point in saying "we're not performing" if when we do perform we then say "but that doesn't count because we didn't perform last week".

Hardly makes for a winning mentality if you let all of your past failures negate your current achievements.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I was delighted with the result on Saturday but when we hammered Leinster in thesemifinal last year we didn't do much celebrating, unless Munster won the final it counted for nothing, and the same should go for Ireland, OK, it was a great Ole Ole day but thats about all.

Comment

Working...
                              X