}

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

I'd hazard a guess that he was in a premium seat

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD background=/images/tile3.jpg>Who'd have thought it? United through rugby and the GAA on the hallowed turf of Croke Park</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=50 align=right>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <CENTER></CENTER></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD background=/images/tile3.jpg></TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

THERE was one clear Irish loser after Saturday's match: it was that collective we may call the whores of the media, who did their best to create a crisis out of nothing.

There are over five million people in Ireland. One of them is JJ Barrett; yet in the run-up to the match, he was interviewed within an inch of his life, as if he were the Authentic Voice Of The Nation. The nadir was reached by a recent headline in a tabloid newspaper that read: "BRITS BEWARE".

Now what would the usual suspects of ideological multiculturalism in Metro, the NUJ and the most politically correct skinheads of the airwaves, the bovver boots broadcasters, have said if a newspaper headline about a forthcoming visit by a team from Lahore had read, "PAKIS BEWARE"? But, of course, amongst the Irish media classes there's still a tolerance of anti-Englishness, which remains the one prejudice which remains chic and beyond rebuke.

But once again, the media, lustfully imagining riots, bloodshed and chaos, were out of touch with the plain people of Ireland. The latter simply sought peace and reconciliation, respect and rugby.

They got all four, and in that triumph, sport acquired a moral and historical dignity it seldom achieves, and which the whores of the media never do. Last Saturday provided me with one of the greatest days in my life - and not because of the victory over England, but because of the vindication of modern Ireland.

This requires a delicate balancing act of old and new and somewhere in between, which is what defines my local restaurant, The Ballymore Inn, in Ballymore Eustace. As a prelude to the match, I took a Northern friend there and he had the best steak of his life. Then we drove to catch the Luas, the efficiency and cleanliness of which he found simply stunning. We got off at Abbey Street, and popped into Kiely's pub, which is the kind of classical Dublin pub which he thought was extinct.

Two delicious pints of Guinness later we were ambling through the polyglot Babel that is O'Connell Street, and into Mountjoy Square. A single, dignified picket commemorated the life and death of Michael Hogan, the Tipperary player, but that was all we saw of the dissidents.

THUS into the hallowed grounds of Croke Park, surely the most intimate large stadium anywhere.

Carpets, parquet floors, plants, escalators, casual armchairs, clean and capacious toilets: these must be unique at a football venue.

Just as striking were the GAA officials with their crisp shirts and smart blazers. And then into the ground itself, a miracle of compression, almost like an optical illusion, in which the stands required to hold eighty thousand people, all enclosing 150 yards or so of turf, have apparently all bee

He was on the Hill with me.

Kev, if you have my flag i want it back ya feckin messer.

Comment

More pompous posturing from this shameless bulls**tter. His insights are as valuable as his rugby predictions.
      Unrepentant Langer

Comment

"Popmpous posturing".. [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Some just bristle, just can't stand it. They're furious.

But we're moving on.

Nice article by Kevin Myers. Capturedmy sentiments, and those of many others quite nicely, i'd imagine.

Comment

In fairness it was a good article.

Comment

"But, of course, amongst the Irish media classes there's still a tolerance of anti-Englishness, which remains the one prejudice which remains chic and beyond rebuke. "

Does Colonel Myers not know whohis paymaster is? And in what stable he resides. Oh yes, of course, Independent Newsapapers are noted for thier rabid republicanism and vehement anti-Englishness what with Ruth Dudley Edwards, Eoghan Harris, fatboy wanabee the-controversial -editor Langer O'Connor and other such blowhard Uncle Tom empire apologists

"The nadir was reached by a recent headline in a tabloid newspaper that read: "BRITS BEWARE". "

I don't recall seeing this tabloid headline, but all bar one of the tabloids are actually British , who simply replace a few pages tojustify the pretence of calling thepaper Oirish. Nobody could argue that they are 'chic'.
            Unrepentant Langer

Comment

Maybe it was in An Phoblacht[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Jesus f**king wept, with each new article this overhyped occassion gets more nauseating. I just pretend it happened in Lansdowne Road, if it had then we wouldn't be reading and hearing all this garbage, its only entertainment afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie Walnuts

"The nadir was reached by a recent headline in a tabloid newspaper that read: "BRITS BEWARE". "

I don't recall seeing this tabloid headline, but all bar one of the tabloids are actually British , who simply replace a few pages tojustify the pretence of calling thepaper Oirish. Nobody could argue that they are 'chic'.
                  Was the "Oirish Sun" (Friday's edition).. who else.

Comment

Originally posted by neiljung

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
                    <T>
                    <TR>
                    <TD>

No doubt it's silly talk, but I can't help wondering how much marginally closer we are to a united Ireland because of that evening (once again, thanks to the generosity, efficiency and the vision of the GAA).

For how many homeward-bound Northern unionists echoed the words of my northern Protestant friend as we later wandered through a city, giddily en fete: "You're bloody lucky to live in a state like this. </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Well i'm being won over bit by bit and never more so than on Saturday, i came away really thinking for the first time how a United Ireland wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Maybe it was the occasion etc but hey four days later and i'm still fascinated by the idea. However a lot of things would have to change and i just don't know if people in the Republic would be prepared to accept that.

Comment

blackadder - what sort of things would have to change? (Genuine question)

Comment

Fora startthe flag and anthem would have to be addressed, you can't have an anthem that 20% of the population wouldn't understand a word of and the flag would have to change as although i accept it is designed to be representative of unionists and nationalists it is sadly synonymous with militant republicanism amongst many in Northern Ireland.

To be fair Unionists would be compromising a lot so i'm not sure it would be asking too much for these to change, however given the pride in the irish nation down south and the obvious pride shown in the anthem on Saturday i'm just not at all sure people would be willing to changeandi could understand this, but equally i'd hope that the same people who don't want change could understand why Unionists from Northern Ireland would need the above changes to happen as well.

Comment

I think the status of the Irish language and the requirement for Irish to be a required subject of study would need to be addressed as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikerob
                            I think the status of the Irish language and the requirement for Irish to be a required subject of study would need to be addressed as well.

I would imagine thats an issue for a lot of us aswell Mike considering most of us cant speak the thing despite studying it for 14 years at school.
                            What once were vices,now are habits

Comment

The best thing to do is for Sinn Fein when they are in government isto encourage Eastern European Catholics to settle in Northern Ireland, give it a generation and the proddies will be in an increasing minority, about 400 years ago it was called planting and what goes around comes around. Simple[img]smileys/razz.gif[/img]

The people of the north have the right to self determination and once we have enough Cathlolics up there its all over.

Comment

Working...
                              X