THIS NEEDS TO BE STOPPED NOW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THIS NEEDS TO BE STOPPED NOW

According to RTE Sports News, "Officials" have been hinting at the possibility of Friday night 6-Nations games when the new TV contracts are being negotiated in a couple of years time. A Welsh official was quoted as saying that games on a Friday Night would suit the players better than Sunday games.

Gsames on a sunday are bad enough,but this would absolutely ruin the travelling fans' experience and I'm including home fans who don't live inLondon, Dublin, Paris, Embra, Cardiff.

Mobilise your forces. Get on to your club officials and through them to the branch and through them to the Union. This must be nipped in the bud immediately.

get yourself together Piquet, this means we can go on the piss all weekend instead of having to go into work on a Monday.[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

You mean this

Meanwhile, Six Nations organisers have given the green light to Friday night matches when their current deal with the BBC is re-negotiated in 2009.

"If there is a choice between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, most fans will prefer a Friday," said WRU chief Roger Lewis.

http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/for...s.asp?TID=2978
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

But we go on the piss all weekend anyway.

Travel on the Friday, maybe take in the A, U20, Colleges, or Women's game, game on the Saturday go home on the Sunday recover on the Monday.

You don't want to have your hangover on your own time rather than on the Company's time.

Comment

personally i quite like friday night matchs, whether travelling to them or being able to watch them on tv so i wouldnt be completely against it, if anything public transport is better on a friday than sunday (and before anyone says no i would have prefered our QF to be on a Saturday)

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud

You mean this

Meanwhile, Six Nations organisers have given the green light to Friday night matches when their current deal with the BBC is re-negotiated in 2009.

"If there is a choice between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, most fans will prefer a Friday," said WRU chief Roger Lewis.

http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/for...s.asp?TID=2978

Yes

Sorry about the double post. I looked up the list of threads but didn't see an appropriate thread title. Maybe we should write to Mr Lewis

Comment

I'm with Piquet on this one - Friday night is a crap time...

Fine if you live on the doorstep of a venue. But for us who cannot take days off during the week...

I SAY NAY!
              \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
              Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Originally posted by thisyear?

I'm with Piquet on this one - Friday night is a crap time...

Fine if you live on the doorstep of a venue. But for us who cannot take days off during the week...

I SAY NAY!
                I can appreciate that, thing is when tv money gets involved it'll be down to what they want. There'll always be people to fill the seats for big games

Comment

I wouldn't mind a Friday night Match,has to be better than Sunday.
                  I distrust Camels and anybody else that go for 7 days without a drink

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                    get yourself together Piquet, this means we can go on the piss all weekend instead of having to go into work on a Monday.[img]smileys/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I agree with you there, Harry. Friday is preferable to Sunday matches and it is easier to get time off work on a Friday rather than a Monday.

Comment

Can't see the players jumping with joy on this one, if they have an away game on Sat. and then have to play again on Fri. evening. Recovery times are already being pushed to the limit with HEC.

For supporters I've always found the day before the match to be the best of the tour. Esp. if you had the travelling done with the previous evening. So a match in Paris on Friday night would mean going out on Wed., all day Thurs. "sight-seeing". Friday - even blearier sight-seeing before heading for St. Denis, and a 9.00p.m. kick-off if French TV call the shots a la last w/e. Stay Saturday and back on Sunday....suppose it can be done, certainlyin countries with a proper infrastructure that can shift tens of thousands of sports supporters without inconveniencing their normal commuter traffic on a Friday.

But the thoughts of meeting rush-hour Dublin traffic or trying to throw a matchday crowd on top of Friday's trains here though doesn't fill the heart with joy. And then you got to get across to Croke (or Lansdowne..maybe).....anyone remember the chaos there for the Friday night match v. the Ladies a few months ago. Double or Treble that.

Don't like the idea, but with TV likely to call it, have no doubt it'll happen.

Comment

Fridays (although far from ideal) are a far better option than Sunday's........NO TO THE CONTINUATION OFSUNDAY INTERNATIONALS.....

Comment

Are they proposing a Friday, Saturday AND Sunday International w/e or 1 game on Fri / 2 on Sat.???

Comment

I hope not.

Friday night games are great for home fans. You go for a drink after work, head to the game, get a burger and beer, cheer on the team etc. It is not good though for away fans. In the ML how does an Ulster fan get to a Munster game on a Friday night and vice versa without taking a whole day off work? The only ones who could manage leaving work at non civil servant friday times and still getting to an away game would be some of the Welsh regions and Glasgow/Edinburgh (and we know those guys travel in big numbers...).

Sunday on the other hand also rather stinks for away fans. I was in Cardiff for the Ireland game, straight away after the match we had to hurrry off for a flight home, if you can ever call leaving Cardiff post a major sporting occcasion a "hurry". Even if we had stayed on most of the fans were heading off, and a Sunday night post game is never as good as a Saturday, as most people have work in the morning.

Really I think the way to go is all games on Saturday. How good was this saturday? Sitting down, three games pretty much in a row, great for all fans, great for telly, and I bet great for pub takings. My only complaint is that the games shoudl have started earlier, say 1.30 rather than 3, the Welsh fans getting back into Paris must have been there circa midnight which is too late.

Comment

French TV dictated the 9.00 kick-off in Paris.

With so much praise and back-slapping from the TV companies about "Super-Saturday" you would think that was the way to go. tbh, I hate the Sunday games not least because they take away from Club games, which given the excitement of the TV games on the previous day, can draw a greater audience provided there is not a 6Ncounter attraction on TV.

Agree with myrubbishmail on the 3 games on Saturday format.

1:30 / 3:45 / 6:00 kick-offs.

Comment

Working...
                              X