X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions chasing Eddie

Lions leading chase to sign up Eddie

Tuesday February 27th 2007

THE IRFU face a fight to hold on to Eddie O'Sullivan - with the British and Irish Lions first in the queue to snap up the most successful Irish coach in history.

O'Sullivan's contract is not due to expire until the end of next year's Six Nations championship. However, with Ireland's stock expected to rise still further at September's World Cup in France, O'Sullivan is liable to become the most in-demand coach in world rugby. And he is being touted as the man to atone for Clive Woodward's failure in New Zealand two years ago when the Lions embark on their next tour to South Africa in 2009.

The IRFU and O'Sullivan have agreed to postpone any contract discussions until after the conclusion of this season's Six Nations.

Ireland are long odds-on to win a third Triple Crown in four seasons while the side have an outside chance of winning the championship should France slip up in their final two matches.

Meanwhile, Six Nations organisers have given the green light to Friday night matches when their current deal with the BBC is re-negotiated in 2009.

"If there is a choice between Friday night and Sunday afternoon, most fans will prefer a Friday," said WRU chief Roger Lewis.

In team news, four Scottish players have been ruled out of training ahead of the match with Ireland on March 10.

Chris Paterson, Euan Murray, Dave Callam and Kelly Brown are struggling to be fit to face the Irish after being injured in Saturday's demoralising defeat to Italy.

Dougie Hall, Rob Dewey and Gavin Kerr also sustained minor injuries. Paterson's problem is with his right ankle, Murray has a thigh strain, Callam's calf is a cause for concern and Brown has a shoulder injury.

Sean Lamont has dismissed suggestions that transfer talk surrounding players in the Scotland squad affected their performance.

Simon Taylor was linked with a move to Stade Francais on the morning of the game while Rob Dewey is on his way to Ulster and Scott Lawson poised to join Sale.

"You might give your team-mates a bit of ribbing about moving here or there but it's nothing serious and certainly nothing to affect your performances or mentality for the game. That's about it," said Lamont.

Elsewhere, full-back Kevin Morgan could be fit for Wales' final Six Nations game against England.

The 30-year-old needed an operation after breaking his jaw in the defeat to Scotland, but hopes are growing he will be able to face the English on March 17.

However, prop Chris Horsman and wing Mark Jones face a race against time for the game against Italy on Saturday week.

David Kelly

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

EOS has a good record but on closer inspection it's not that good. he has built his reputation on consistant wins over England, wales, Scotland & Italy plus home firendly victories against SA & Aus twice. Not bad except he's lost to France on his last 5 occasions & has never beaten a SH opposition down under.

If you look at the players he has, this could be considered unacceptable. I dont think he'd be a success as a Lions coach but I hope he gets the job so Kidney can take over IRL[img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img].
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Comment

this is old news, we've always known this would happen, his contract is up after the next six nations, he will negotiate after this years six nations. He's in a strong position to get what he what with either post.
      Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Wasn't Henry coach of Wales while he coached the Lions? Who's to say EOS won't do something similar.
        \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Comment

Does it work being Lions coach and a national coach, would Eddie have his eye on the ball in the 2009 6N (which could be the last big championship for this group of players), surely he'd have to keep his eye on all the other sides as well as his own. It wouldn't be easy.

Still he seems the most obvious choice really unless the Lions go for Mike Ruddock.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork

but I hope he gets the job so Kidney can take over IRL[img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img].

Why would you want that ? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]i.e. to leave Munster ?

Comment

I'm sorry Point. What was I thinking??
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

he won't stay on with Ireland. He didn't plan ahead passed this point and the future of Irish Rugby "isn't his problem".
                <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
                http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
                </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

I have been very critical at times of some of EOS' selections considering the options he has had at his disposal, but as a coach, attack strategist, organiser and general head of ship he has been excellent IMHO. Nonetheless I'd say Ireland will need a change post 2008 6Ns as too long in the job would not necessarily be a good thing. Amazed in ways that his contract does not expire post WC, guess cos its mid season.

reSuccessors:I would love to see what a Kidney, Niallo or JW&amp; current other coaches &amp; backroom could bring to the table. I would not be nearly as excited by Bradley &amp; Galwey/or An Other as forwards coach due to lack of top class (HC) coaching experience and so on. There are political reasons this may succeed (Noisy, Con, Shannon, etc, &amp; reluctance re Kidney in some Leinster circles), it would be a pity if those type of issues cloudedpeoples decisions.I'd hope we're over those days. Other option is an international coach(es) maybe.

Ideal for Ireland, assuming EOS leaves, DK for Irish coach with Niallo &amp;/or JW, Bradley for Munster coach with a good forwards coach &amp; team alongside.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

surely he cant leave ireland now??? at least until after the world cup

Comment

JW? Jim Williams as irish forward coach...seriously? Kidney certainly has the credentials to take over from eddie but as has been said the politics in irish rugby is shocking and to be honest the captain isn't a big fan (from comments he's made through magazines interviews etc re.kidney).

Bradley could be seen as being groomed for the job through involvement withIreland A but i think someone from within the current set-up might get it, McLaughlin could be an outside bet, Niallo i thinkwill go with Eddie to the Lions so who does that leave?

Comment

Eric Elwood is doing pretty well with the U20's!
                        The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                        - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Not many outstanding coaches in the running for the Lions job. EOS would be the natural, unless they wanted to look at a SH candidate.

Declan Kidney won the HC. EOS has triple crowns. Is Mike Ruddock the only other non French or SH coach with a HEC or 6 nations to his name since the world cup?
                          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

In fact, when was the last time a British coach won anything - even the GP?
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Did Ian McGeechan not win the powderpuff with Wasps last year?

the Lions are welcome to EOS. He's had an exceptional bunch of talent and yet he still manages to feck it up.

Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                              http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Working...
                              X