• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record audience for Ireland England game

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0226/rte.html

Record audience watches Ireland beat England
    Monday, 26 February 2007 18:41

A record breaking Irish audience tuned into RTÉ Television's coverage of Ireland's historic RBS 6 Nations victory over England at Croke Park on Saturday.

An average of 1,052,000* viewers and 70 % people who were watching television on Saturday tuned in to RTÉ Two from kick-off at 5.40pm to the final whistle. The audience peaked at 1,207,000* viewers during the 77th minute of the match.

RTÉ Two's coverage of Ireland v England is the most watched programme on Irish television so far this year.

RTÉ's comprehensive coverage also attracted the highest ever Irish television audience for a rugby game.

In a bumper day of rugby for fans, which featured three RBS Six Nations clashes, an average audience of 535,000* viewers watched RTÉ Two's live comprehensive RBS Six Nations programming from 2.30pm-10.00pm on Saturday.

Glen Killane, Group Head of Sport RTÉ, said: 'Saturday's historic match from Croke Park on RTÉ Two truly captured the public's imagination. RTÉ Television's viewing figures prove that when an event such as this is freely available to all, sport can unite the country like nothing else.'

RTÉ Television will be broadcasting all of the upcoming RBS Six Nations games live on RTÉ Two including Ireland's Triple Crown clincher against Scotland in Murrayfield in two week's time, and the tournament's final games in a triple header on St Patrick's Day, in which Ireland will take on Italy in Rome.

Also as part of RTÉ's comprehensive coverage of RBS Six Nations 2007 all matches will be streamed live on RTÉ.ie within the island of Ireland, and all of Ireland's matches will be broadcast live on RTÉ Radio 1, FM, MW and LW 252.

Originally posted by Drick
    RTÉ Television's viewing figures prove that when an event such as this is freely available to all, sport can unite the country like nothing else.'
    If only they really believed that themselves - how many sporting occasions are we going to have to pay to watch this year - all because these fcukers don't really give a toss ? [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

This years RWC for starters............

Comment

RWC, HC, ML and I suspect next time the 6 Nations comes on the market,bunch of tossers.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

If themany people (like me) who prefer to watch the 6N games on BBC - better commentators and no ads - plus the Ulster folk whoalways watch BBC NI are added in, then I'd say the total viewing figure for all Ireland could be up around the 1.5 million mark!

Pretty impressive.
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Just think lads all the young kids running around in school today pretending to be Brian O'Driscoll or Ronan O'Gara, i'm not sure about playing numbers but in temrs of interest rugby is surely growing at a massive rate in Ireland and this i suspect is a major reason why some in the GAA were reluctant to open up Croke Park rather than any political reason. Munster winning the European Cup will have had a massive impact as well, imagine if we won the World Cup...

Comment

Originally posted by blackadder

Just think lads all the young kids running around in school today pretending to be Brian O'Driscoll or Ronan O'Gara, i'm not sure about playing numbers but in temrs of interest rugby is surely growing at a massive rate in Ireland and this i suspect is a major reason why some in the GAA were reluctant to open up Croke Park rather than any political reason. Munster winning the European Cup will have had a massive impact as well, imagine if we won the World Cup...

Well guess what, all those kids can not watch their hero's on the national broadcaster, enjoy it while it lasts....

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog

If the*many people (like me) who prefer to watch the 6N games on
              BBC - better commentators and no ads - plus the Ulster folk who*always
              watch BBC NI* are added in, then I'd say the total viewing figure for all
              Ireland could be up around the 1.5 million mark!*

Pretty impressive.
              To be fair to RTE, they had Ralph alongside Vile Nugent, and I'd take
              that combination over Butler and Moore. I won't even mention the BBC
              NI team. Woeful doesn't do them justice.

Comment

how is it rte's fault that they do not have the rights to show the hcup, rwc, etc? do you think rte prefer not having to broadcast these events live? grow up ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by theprop
                  Originally posted by Old Dog

If themany people (like me) who prefer to watch the 6N games on
                  BBC - better commentators and no ads - plus the Ulster folk whoalways
                  watch BBC NI are added in, then I'd say the total viewing figure for all
                  Ireland could be up around the 1.5 million mark!

Pretty impressive.

To be fair to RTE, they had Ralph alongside Vile Nugent, and I'd take
                  that combination over Butler and Moore. I won't even mention the BBC
                  NI team. Woeful doesn't do them justice.

BBC NI concentrate solely on how the Todger(s) on the field are playing, with passing references to the rest of the team - some of whom will only get a mention if they f*** up - which tees up a "Well, Jim if, X. Todger had been selected do you think he'd have missed that tackle bearing in mind the wonderful cover he provided in the game against Scarlets...etc.". Fine for the Ulsteraudience, who lap it up, but utterly boring otherwise.

As for England games (even when they're playing another British side), Butler and Moore can only see the one team, and lately, one man playing. Even when Italy were beating them off the park in the second half at Twickenham, it was "Jonny could do with better service..Jonny might still be suffering from that knock...Jonny's car got a new coat of paint..." all day, rather than give an ounce of praise to the Italian effort.

Sure they have no ads...but we get Aprés Match. And if RTÉ transferred the awful Vile Nugent to radio and we got Michael Corcoran on TV so much the better. Ralph was a far better option than Ward, hope he's kept.

In any case, with the TV rights up for grabs in 2009, I suppose Uncle Rupert will be in with the chequebook and we can whinge about bland commentary to our hearts content then, there'll be so much of it.

Comment

6N TV rights are protected afaik so will always be on terrestial, RTE, unless TV3[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] or Chl6[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img] decide to bid.

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieG
                      6N TV rights are protected afaik so will always be on terrestial, RTE, unless TV3[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] or Chl6[img]smileys/redface.gif[/img] decide to bid.

Does that apply to home games only?

Christ, the thought of Channel 6 showing a live match would be interesting. They probably think an OBU van is a mobile chipper.[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Hoof Hearted, BBC NI is aimed at viewers in Northern Ireland, it's no different if you watch the ML on BBC Wales, RTE is aimed at southern viewers.

Anywayi sky plussed the game on BBC and watched it when i got home on Saturday night and i don't remember Jim Neilly or Tyrone Howe talking about Ulster players at all, i'm not entirely sure they could have filled 70 minutes talking about Rory Best anyway as well as he played.

I actually think Tyrone Howe is pretty good, he seems to know what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by socks
                          how is it rte's fault that they do not have the rights to show the hcup, rwc, etc? do you think rte prefer not having to broadcast these events live? grow up ffs.

Because they prefer showing English Soccer Clubs, on a Saturday afternoon, rather than show Ireland in RWC or Irish teams live in the HEC.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon

Originally posted by socks

Because they prefer showing English Soccer Clubs, on a Saturday afternoon, rather than show Ireland in RWC or Irish teams live in the HEC.

Just about sums it up for me.

Comment

They also prefer to spend a ridiculous amount of money on presenters like Joe Duffy, Gerry Ryan and Pat Kenny.
                              Spenidng more money on such classics as Celebrity Jigs N Reels and Eur a Star !

Comment

Working...
                              X