X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland Vs Ireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ottish/6397763 .stm
    <DIV =sh>Injuries add to Scotland misery </DIV>

Scotland have seen four players ruled out of training ahead of the Six Nations match with Ireland on 10 March.

Chris Paterson, Euan Murray, Dave Callam and Kelly Brown are struggling to be fit to face the Irish after being injured in Saturday's defeat to Italy.

Scotland team doctor James Robson said: "All of these players are unlikely to take part in training this week and will continue with daily treatment."

Dougie Hall, Rob Dewey and Gavin Kerr also sustained minor injuries. <!- E SF ->

Paterson's problem is with his right ankle, Murray has left thigh strain, while Callam's left calf is a cause for concern and Brown has a shoulder injury.

Doesn't matter, who they have or have not, after watching some of the game on Saturday v Italy, I saw absolutly nothing to worry Ireland and that was before we hammered England.

Comment

I agree Bitter but to be fair Scotland have been known to be the best party Poopers in the business. When it comesto beatingteams that are out to win grandslams,titles and thriple crowns. The Scottish are the best for that. They are really hurt from the Italy defeat and noting worse than a wouded Scots man. I think we will win, but its not a cert.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_langer1977
        I agree Bitter but to be fair Scotland have
        been known to be the best party Poopers in the business. When it
        comes*to beating**teams that are out to win grandslams[/
        FONT],titles and thriple crowns. The Scottish are the best for that. They
        are really hurt from the Italy defeat and noting worse than a wouded
        Scots man. I think we will win, but its not a cert.
        To be honest, if we play with anything like the intensity we showed
        against England, we should win comfortably enough. The Scots just are
        not a good team at the moment, despite having some good players.

To be honest, I'd expect a tougher test from the Italians, especially if
        their pack has a good day.

Comment

If Mossie's out then the Scots really will struggle. Have to feel (a bit) sorry for them.

And it makes a mince of my fantasy team. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

Hope Not Hate

Comment

Red Langer is right don't write off the scots but more importantly we might need them to do us a favour against the french - we need one of (or both !) to beat les bleus at home........................

Comment

Although I know it wont happen, I'd love to see EOS show some
              confidence in the squad &amp; make 2 or 3 unforced changes to the team
              for scotland. It would give the fringe players a boost &amp;
              foster a bit of competitiveness in the squad. All the other "top"
              nations are doing it, if we consider ourselves one of them we simply
              need to rotate more.

For example Best could replace Easterby who played v well v England so
              it could be seen as checking out options &amp; not as a dropping.
              Trimble could come in on the wing for Hickie (&amp; later in the match
              if the situation is favorable he could move into the centre replacing
              BOD for example). Flannery : Best did nothing wrong but again Fla maybe
              deserves a start. None of these moves would weaken the team in the slightest. I suppose kearney would be seen as too big a risk?

C'mon show confidence in the squad Eddie!!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
              Albert Einstein

Comment

Fraid that not going to happen MCork!

O'Sullivan wary of Scotland's bounce back ability
                Wednesday February 28th 2007

AFTER what happened to Scotland last Saturday, coach Eddie O'Sullivan's next job is to get the Irish mindset exactly right for Saturday week's Triple Crown outing at Murrayfield.

Not that his players are likely to buy into it, but the general feeling among the public is that Ireland only have to turn up. Bear in mind, Ireland are currently being offered at 1/8 to win at Murrayfield.

The reasons are straightforward - Ireland trounced England 43-13, while the Scots went down to 37-17 to Italy at Murrayfield.

You could also toss in the fact that England comfortably saw off Scotland first time out. So, it's a bit of a stroll, surely?

Not necessarily, according to O'Sullivan. There are different ways at looking at these things, and the only way that Ireland can look on the Triple Crown game is to assume that they are taking on the Scottish side that beat Wales.

Ups and downs

"The thing about Scotland is that they are having their ups and downs," argued O'Sullivan.

"They started with a poor game against England. They got well beaten and I'd say they were very unhappy with the scores they gave up.

"Importantly, their response was to bounce back and pummel the hell out of Wales. They will be very disappointed now with the performance against Italy.

"So, I can only expect they will come back and try and pummel the hell out of Ireland. They are well capable of recording upsets at Murrayfield.

"Remember, France went there last year and got turned over, as did England. So, we really have to keep our focus."

In other words, Ireland have to prepare to face the Scotland side that beat Wales, rather than the one which flopped so dismally last weekend?

"Absolutely. They will bounce back. Scotland and Ireland have a lot in common and one thing we both tend to do is to bounce back."

Even accepting that, this Irish side should still be good enough to beat Scotland. With all of their top players on the pitch - and properly focussed - it is hard to see how Scotland will stay with them.

You might even argue, that a Triple Crown and no Grand Slam, for such a talented team is a bit of a disappointment, even a case of underachieving.

"I suppose you could go down that road. Of course, this team is good enough to win a Triple Crown, Grand Slam and Championship," answered O'Sullivan.

"Some people might poo poo a Triple Crown, I certainly wouldn't. The two Triple Crowns we've won, people have been very happy about. So, I can't imagine people would be unhappy about another one. You can't get hung up on what happened against France.

"Championships are elusive and Grand Slams even more elusive. When the Championship started, I said two things must go our way.

"Injury profile and a slice of luck. Against France, we came up short on both. We were missing Peter Stringer and Brian O'Driscoll, who were both very important, and we got a bad bounce.

"If either one had gone our way, we might have won the French match, but that's all in the past."

'If we let the last two games slip because we lose our focus, we would have to be really harsh on ourselves.'

Eddie O'Sullivan
                Which brings us on to the conclusion that Ireland's season would be seen as a failure, if they don't win the last two games.

"It would be very disappointing in the context of where we are at the moment," admitted O'Sullivan.

"If we let the last two games slip because we lose our focus, we would have to be really harsh on ourselves.

"But, if we keep our focus, and look at things right, we should win.

"Last Saturday was a great performance in many facets or our game.

"We will go out and try and replicate that.

"But it doe
                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Don't think those changes would weaken - infact (Fla, in particular) might strengthen it.

Was worried intially that you were being complacent but would certainly agree with that strategy; plus with Hickie's age &amp; injury record, Trimble needs all the time he can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcork
                    Although I know it wont happen, I'd love to see EOS show some confidence in the squad &amp; make 2 or 3 unforced changes to the team for scotland. It would give the fringe players a boost &amp; foster a bit of competitiveness in the squad. All the other "top" nations are doing it, if we consider ourselves one of them we simply need to rotate more.

For example Best could replace Easterby who played v well v England so it could be seen as checking out options &amp; not as a dropping. Trimble could come in on the wing for Hickie (&amp; later in the match if the situation is favorable he could move into the centre replacing BOD for example). Flannery : Best did nothing wrong but again Fla maybe deserves a start. None of these moves would weaken the team in the slightest. I suppose kearney would be seen as too big a risk?

C'mon show confidence in the squad Eddie!!

Totally agree with that - we're not even asking for 'experimentation' - simply rotation (Kearney's out of the question unfortunately). You're right, every other decent team does it. You have to keep players who are of international quality on their toes by playing them in international rugby. If these fringe lads are not given more game time - they will lose their edge. I actually think he will give Flannery a start. Easterby makes him feel safe however and N Best will probably continue as impact. Trimble is 50/50.

Comment

For once I actually agree with Eddie. I would be very wary of Scottish banana skins. Sure look at Ireland, there is no doubt in my mind that the defeat toFrance fired up our boys against England. Scotland has been known to do that kind of thing before. Discount them at your peril. Italy too IMHO.

Comment

Irish squad begin rest period ahead of Scotland clash

08:48 Wednesday February 28th 2007

The Irish rugby squad is beginning a five-day rest period today ahead of their next Six Nations clash against Scotland.
                        Neil Best sat out yesterday's training session with a slight strain, but the injury is not thought to be serious enough to affect his fitness for the March 10th clash.

Brian O'Driscoll, meanwhile, has said he was substituted last Saturday due to general fatigue rather than any recurrence of his hamstring injury and is fully confidence of making the Scotland clash.

Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I'd also be wary but let's be honest - they are the worst team in the competition and they got beaten by a pretty big score by a pretty average English team that we dismantled last weekend. If we are to still think that there might be a championship there for us we need to beat these boys by 30 to keep our points difference ticking in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin a bhfuil
                            I'd also be wary but let's be honest - they are the worst team in the competition and they got beaten by a pretty big score by a pretty average English team that we dismantled last weekend. If we are to still think that there might be a championship there for us we need to beat these boys by 30 to keep our points difference ticking in the right direction.

I would'nt say they are the worsed. They beat Wales pretty convincingly. I feel everyones reaction to the Italian defeat is in someways a lack of respect for Italy. Ok 2 of the first 3 trys were gifted, but the way the Italians played showed me that they have a better structure and are playing with a game plan. Overall the Italians did ok againist France and came close to beating England. I do feel we will beat Scotland, but i dont think it will be as easy as everyone is making out.

Comment

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...ottish/6427161 .stm

Parks returns to Scotland line-up

Dan Parks is restored to fly-half as the only change in the Scotland side for Saturday's RBS Six Nations meeting with Ireland at Murrayfield.

Parks, who will be winning his 29th cap, replaces Phil Godman, while Rory Lamont returns to the replacements' bench ahead of Nikki Walker.

Head coach Frank Hadden said: "We've chosen Dan at stand-off as we feel he has the right qualities for this game.

"Rory Lamont has been preferred on the bench as he provides greater cover." <!- E SF ->

Parks started the Six Nations campaign as Scotland's number 10 but was replaced after the opening defeat by England at Twickenham.

Godman occupied the role against Wales and Italy but made a costly error in the opening minute to gift the Azzuri the first of their three early tries last month.

Italy's first win at Murrayfield came as Ireland thrashed England to retain their hopes of clinching the Six Nations title.

But Hadden said: "We firmly believe we are capable of upsetting the form book and beating a very good Irish side.

"Nobody would enjoy that scenario more than Scott Murray, who will set a new Scottish cap record on Saturday."

Lock Murray will be making his 83rd appearance, overtaking Gregor Townsend, after retaining his place in the second row.

There had been fears for the fitness of number eight David Callam, prop Euan Murray and winger Chris Paterson after the trio missed training in the early part of the week.

But all three retain their places in the starting line-up.

<HR>

Scotland: H Southwell (Edinburgh); S Lamont (Northampton), M Di Rollo (Edinburgh), R Dewey (Edinburgh), C Paterson (Edinburgh, captain); D Parks (Glasgow Warriors), C Cusiter (Border Reivers); G Kerr (Borders), D Hall (Edinburgh), E Murray (Glasgow Warriors), N Hines (Perpignan), S Murray (Edinburgh), S Taylor (Edinburgh), D Callam (Edinburgh), K Brown (Borders).
                              Replacements: R Ford (Borders), A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), J Hamilton (Leicester), A Hogg (Edinburgh), R Lawson (Gloucester), A Henderson (Glasgow Warriors), R Lamont (Glasgow Warriors).<!- E BO ->

Comment

Working...
                              X