Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland U20’s still on for grandslam!

<DIV =line>Ireland teach England a wet-weather lesson </DIV>
    <DIV style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; FONT-SIZE: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px; TEXT-ALIGN: right">Comment</DIV>

Nigel Redman admitted that England U20s will have to learn the lessons of a wet night in Athlone after Ireland won 13-6, putting a huge dent in their hopes of retaining their Six Nations title at Dubarry Park.

Shane Monahan's try before half-time - a deft take off his bootstraps - separated the sides and though Dave Doherty pulled England back to within a point with a second penalty, Ian Keatley killed them off with two late ones of his own.

It leaves Ireland U20s on course for a Grand Slam and England facing France U21s - the French not having moved to this age group yet - at Northampton Saints in a fortnight followed by a trip to Newport for a Welsh finale.
    <DIV id=midpagempu style="DISPLAY: n&#111;ne">
    <DIV =adtxt>advertisement</DIV>

<!-
    OAS_AD('2');
    //->

</DIV>

Coach Redman said: "I don't want to take anything away from the Irish performance because they played the conditions well. "We got bogged down in certain areas of the field and we didn't use the geography of the pitch.

"I thought we made a few good line breaks in the first half where a bit of patience would have brought a better result.

"But we coughed up too much ball in key areas and although we had talked about and practised playing with more precision this week, at times tonight we didn't.

"We now have two very tough games coming up. What we have to do now is make sure that the lessons we learn from tonight we take forward into those matches."

Captain Danny Care added: "We had a couple of chances in the first half and, on another day, if they had come off it would have been a different story.

"We can't take anything away from Ireland - they played the conditions really well and slowed our ball down and we couldn't really get any momentum. They deserved to win.

"We have France in two weeks time and then Wales. It would have been lovely to be going for the Grand Slam but we just have to focus on making sure we perform next time we play."

Doherty kicked England into the lead with a fifth-minute penalty when Ireland failed to roll away from the tackle and they would have extended that advantage but Alex Shaw's offload to Chevvy Pennycook was forward.

However, the promising start faded into the rain, with Ireland stepping up a gear and they almost scored the try of the game - a 70m effort that only broke down when scrum-half Paul O'Donohoe knocked on the final pass.

They got their reward when the ball stuck for wing Monahan as he stooped for a low pass and he touched down for the only try of the game.

England, who lost Tom Mercey to sickness before kick-off, then had Dave Attwood stretchered off, fly-half Seb Jewell limp off after him - both with ankle injuries just before half-time - and his replacement Frankie Neale suffe
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

There are some rare names in that England side, Chevvy Pennycock oh dear oh dear oh dear. England Public Schoolboy XV by the look of it.

I'm not too impressed with the patronising "i don't want to take anything away from Ireland but..." comments. That's three times out of four that this particular Irish age group have beaten this particular English age group, they beat them at Schoolboy level, once at U19 level and now at U20 level, it can't be luck every time.

Comment

you know what the brits are like - they can't accept when they are s**te.

Look at it - they are crap at soccer

crap at cricket

crap at rugby

the sport they compete best in at the moment is sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by shambo

crap at cricket

crap at rugby

I'd wager that the English would hockey us in a soccer match and likewise at Cricket. I'm assuming you meant the English when you said 'Brits'?
        Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Just because they are better than us at soccer dosent preclude them from being crap. Look how incredibly crap we are.

My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
            Originally posted by shambo

crap at cricket

crap at rugby

I'd wager that the English would hockey us in a soccer match and likewise at Cricket. I'm assuming you meant the English when you said 'Brits'?
            And likely they would soccer us in a hockey match too dave.

Comment

last few posts have taken this thread off topic, in reality, our u-20's have done really well thus far and are on course for smth our senior team can not do.....well done to them, its a shame they dont play these games prior to the full internationals........
              Seas suas agus troid!

Comment

Agreed LLCJ. They have been excellent. Mick Galwey refered on Friday to the AIB Club international as being like the Minor match before the Senior match in Croker. A pity we couldn't have double headers like the GAA do with the minors/seniors, with the U20's playing before the big matchs.

Glad to see young Keogh got a run this time.

Comment

Working...
                X