Bulked Up All Blacks

<DIV ="ing-holder clearfix">
    <H3>Rugby Story</H3>RSS </DIV>
    <HR =displayN&#111;ne>

<DIV =article-holder>
    <H1>Rugby: Bulked-up, faster and stronger</H1>
    <H5>Email this storyPrint this story 5:00AM Sunday February 25, 2007
    By Gregor Paul </H5>
    <DIV =featureImage style="WIDTH: 230px" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"></DIV>

Across New Zealand gyms are reverberating with the clash of dumbbells that have never been so heavy. Stop watches are flashing times that few ever thought possible. And scales are recording figures that are just downright scary.

No wonder that All Black coach Graham Henry is quietly excited. He knows the three-month conditioning window afforded 22 hand-picked test stars has opened new ways for his team to play.

When his side assembles in early June to play France, he will have charge of what will unquestionably be the biggest, fastest, fittest All Black team ever assembled.

The All Blacks of 2007 will bear virtually no physical resemblance to the All Blacks of 1987 who secured New Zealand's only World Cup success. In fact, the All Blacks of 2007 will look radically different from the All Blacks of 2006 so dramatic have been the physical advances made by the "protected 22" in the last six weeks.

Jason Eaton has packed on 8kg. Mils Muliaina is five kilos heavier than he was in December. The seams of Keven Mealamu's shirts appear to be having a hard time holding back the advancing mass of muscle and Ali Williams, once a sapling, looks more an oak tree.

<!- Insert advert ->
    <DIV =advert>
    < = =text/>
    show_ad_tag('http://ads.apn.co.nz','NZH','CAT','RUGBY','ST Y','300X250','','');

< src="http://ads.apn.co.nz/j/SITE=NZH/AREA=CAT.RUGBY.STY/AAMSZ=300X250/acc_random=17065157/pageid=58000830">

< =text/><!-
    google_ad_client = "pub-5276995754775409";
    google_ad_width = 300;
    google_ad_height = 250;
    google_ad_at = "300x250_as_new";
    google_ad_ = "text";
    //2007-01-31: Herald_Rec
    google_ad_channel = "6598559859";
    google_color_border = "CCCCCC";
    google_color_bg = "FFFFFF";
    google_color_link = "006699";
    google_color_text = "006699";
    google_color_url = "006699";
    //->

< src="http://pagead2.googlesyndicati&#111;n.com/pagead/show_ads.js" =text/>

Everywhere are bulked-up, fuel-injected All Blacks waiting to be released on unsuspecting adversaries.</DIV>

The rest of the world should be concerned. The conditioning programme still has six weeks to run and that, according to former All Black fitness coach Jim Blair, is a very long time in the life of an elite athlete.

"If you took a guy off the street and put him through the same programme as the All Blacks, he would make some improvements. But he would be starting from a much lower base so he would maybe go from being at 40 per cent of his athletic potential to say 60 per cent.

"But with the All Blacks, who already have been doing a lot of training, they are probably starting at 80 per cent.

[b]What they are doing in this conditioning programme is jumping into the final 20 per cent so the idea i

Scary stuff! Would have thought that Luke McAllister would have been in that 22 but he's been playing Super 14 for the last few weeks???

Comment

train all you want - what it will come down to with AB's is the mental side of things...And as we have seen before at RWC's that can go wandering....
      \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
      Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Lads,

"In fact, the All Blacks of 2007 will look radically different from the All Blacks of 2006 so dramatic have been the physical advances made by the "protected 22" in the last six weeks."

Read between the lines, this isn't from eating Mars bars !

Comment

Point our players have dramatic lean mass increases in the off season too. Glass houses, stones etc...
          Kiva - Loans That Change Lives

Comment

Did'nt england try the same thing? Only problem was english players got bigger and slower and went for contact more so they forgot how to pass or step/swerve. Now look where they are!

[img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]only problem is Henry is not stupid and is probably making sure they pass like globetrotters, run like gazelles, and has his front 5 practicing drop goals.
            The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
            - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Originally posted by daveirl
              Point our players have dramatic lean mass increases in the off season too. Glass houses, stones etc...

The Irish players improvements have not happened in one off season, far from it, it has taken the last 4 or 5 pre-seasons to achieve these (actually I don't have the figures to back this up....do you have the figures to back up your claim though??). And anyway, Point's point is to read between the lines of the article in question, which does have the figures, and they are very suspicious gains....
              Romani ite Domun

Comment

This doesn't necessarily have to be a good thing for NZ, the chances are that it will but the Tri Nations will make an interesting watch this summer.

Comment

Indeed they do but I don't believe it involves steroids. I know we've had this discussion before but go back only 2 or 3 years ago, and Ireland had caught up physically with the All Blacks, but since then the AB players have gone on to a much higher level to the extent that Irish players were nearly bouncing off them again back in June. Now, I do not accept that the ABs have discovered some revolutionary training methods that do not include heavy steroid use in Dec/Jan.

Comment

There is no wayalready highly trained athletescan put on that amount of muscle in that time.Most likely he hasnt got his facts straight.

My computer thinks I'm gay
                    What's the difference anyway
                    When all the people do all day
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Neil Best put on 6kg in last season's off season Point.

Comment

you can sewa that's a ridiculous suggestion to say that you can't. anyone who does nothing but strength training for 3 months will make massive increases in that space and it doesn't mean it's chemially induced. You can't make strength gains when playing and training you can only maintain strength levels anyone knows that. Look this the AB'S world cup to lose- if they decide to win it they will - doesn't matter what Ireland or anyone else comes up with it won't be enough if the all blacks turn up at 80%.That the scary thing they can only to playto 80% ans till win it.

Comment

Neil Best put on 6kg in last season's off season Point.

So are you saying he took steroids to achieve this, Dave ?

Comment

How long was that off season Dave and where did you get that stat? Eight kg oflean muscle in six weeks is BS.
                            My computer thinks I'm gay
                            What's the difference anyway
                            When all the people do all day
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

No idea Point, it's at the edge of what's achievable naturally. All I know is that if I was in charge of the Strength and Conditioning program and I knew I had the players away in Poland pre season I'd be offering a light cycle to anyone who asked me.

The source for the Neil Best stat is Franno's article about the pre-season training.

Sewa, I agree with you 8kg in 6 weeks isn't possible regardless of steroids or not. Our preseason was longer alright.

I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Neil Best BTW, it's just that's the one player I can remember the figure for.

Also for the record I've done a complete U-Turn on drugs in sports and I now just don't care about the performance enhancing aspects of things. I'd rather medically supervised doping programs than having players messing about with possibly dubious quality gear by themselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X