Player Ratings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player Ratings

Going to be hard to create a huge amount of debate here, most players were either decent, good or very good and the team as a whole were obviously great. Still here, goes:

Hayes - 8. He has played well this year, best I have seen him for a while.

Best - 7. Solid lineouts, didnt see him about the park. Scrums did look noticeably ropier when he and Hayes went off.

Horan - 6. Decent game, scrum was OK.

POC - 9. Excellent match. We seemed to throw a lot of lineout ball to him, more than of late - think this was a ploy to get him involved more than he has been? If it was it worked!

DOC - 7. Solid if not spectacular.

Easterby - 8. I would rather Neil Best started, but hard to argue with this performance, regardless of N Best being around, this man is a good rugby player, and did well today.

Wallace - 8. Another good game from a man having a fine season.

Leamy - 6. Decent game but I don't think he has been on top form this 6 nations so far.

Stringer - 6. Gets a lot of stick here, made some mistakes but played pretty well. Still would prefer Boss, :-), but hard to break up a team after this win!

ROG - 8. Mainly an excellent game, kicking from ground outstanding, from hand a few wayward kicks aside he controlled the game behind a great pack and had a big part in our tries.

Hickie - 6. Ireland's worst player on the day, which to be honest isnt saying much as he didnt get a great deal of the ball, just he didnt shine like the rest did. Mind you Trimble gets dropped for games like this :-)

Darcy - 6. Great piece of play for Girves try, thought a bit quiet otherwise.

BOD - 7. Good to have Irelands greatest modern back playing again. Not his biggest game but he played well. Had he been there last week we would have won. :-(

Horgan - 9. This is why the big man should play wing, not IC. I thought he was immense, him and POC were our MOTMs.

Dempsey - 7. Played smart and well, safe but he still for me offers very little threat in attack.

Replacements - Only player to get enough time on the pitch for a rating was really Flannery.

Flannery 6 - Didnt do a great deal of note, or wrong. The way Best is playing, and with him only getting bits here and there is going to need to an injury to break into the team in the 6 nations. Still plenty of time to get into the WC team though.

Originally posted by myrubbishmail
    Going to be hard to create a huge amount of debate here, most players were either decent, good or very good and the team as a whole were obviously great. Still here, goes:

Hayes - 8. He has played well this year, best I have seen him for a while.

Best - 7. Solid lineouts, didnt see him about the park. Scrums did look noticeably ropier when he and Hayes went off.

Horan - 6. Decent game, scrum was OK. @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">[img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] Had Vickery in his pocket all day@@@@/SPAN>

POC - 9. Excellent match. We seemed to throw a lot of lineout ball to him, more than of late - think this was a ploy to get him involved more than he has been? If it was it worked!

DOC - 7. Solid if not spectacular.

Easterby - 8. I would rather Neil Best started, but hard to argue with this performance, regardless of N Best being around, this man is a good rugby player, and did well today.

Wallace - 8. Another good game from a man having a fine season.

Leamy - 6. Decent game but I don't think he has been on top form this 6 nations so far. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">Up there with PO'C for MOM@@@@/SPAN>

Stringer - 6. Gets a lot of stick here, made some mistakes but played pretty well. Still would prefer Boss, :-), but hard to break up a team after this win!

ROG - 8. Mainly an excellent game, kicking from ground outstanding, from hand a few wayward kicks aside he controlled the game behind a great pack and had a big part in our tries.

Hickie - 6. Ireland's worst player on the day, which to be honest isnt saying much as he didnt get a great deal of the ball, just he didnt shine like the rest did. Mind you Trimble gets dropped for games like this :-)

Darcy - 6. Great piece of play for Girves try, thought a bit quiet otherwise.[img]smileys/idea.gif[/img] @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">Got through a huge amount of work @@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">
    BOD - 7. Good to have Irelands greatest modern back playing again. Not his biggest game but he played well. Had he been there last week we would have won. :-(

Horgan - 9. This is why the big man should play wing, not IC. I thought he was immense, him and POC were our MOTMs. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">Bullied his way around the park - was good but not a 9@@@@/SPAN><br style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">
    Dempsey - 7. Played smart and well, safe but he still for me offers very little threat in attack. [img]smileys/shock.gif[/img] @@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 255, 0);">Played much better than you gave him credit for@@@@/SPAN>

Replacements - Only player to get enough time on the pitch for a rating was really Flannery.

Flannery 6 - Didnt do a great deal of note, or wrong. The way Best is playing, and with him only getting bits here and there is going to need to an injury to break into the team in the 6 nations. Still plenty of time to get into the WC team though.
    \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
    Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Not going to bother with ratings, but I will say that I think the papers have been too generous towards Rog and Stringer. Rog may have been faultless in front of the posts but he was poor when kicking for position, probably worse than against France. Stringer's distribution was also weak and frequently wayward. Dempsey's trywould not have required such a moment of genius from D'arcy if Pete had found his target. D'arcy was actually my Motm from the backline, it might have been Horgan except for the fact that he tried to break someone's jaw. Another point largely ignored in the papers. Otherwise, the backline was magnificent. The pack was pretty much without weakness for the entire match, they were immense.

The problem with all the hype is that it disguises the fact that England were a very, very poor team. They are one-dimensional and absolutely without inspiration. Beating them should not be considered such an achievement for a team as talented as the Irish team that lined out yesterday. Neither should the triple crown that will follow be an achievement worthy of great celebration. France will take another grand slam and Ireland will be left to wonder what might have been. Sadly, this has become a familiar pattern under Eos, who now has only the World Cup to finally win something of merit.
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Have to say I thought Dempsey had a great game. He ran, instead of kicking, stepped and drove through supposedly superior England players, didn't turn over any ball. Was always in the right place at the right time. Not MoM performance but it was what some of us have been looking to see from him for ages.

Made me laugh but according to English press half their team actually played as well as or better than most of our players. Especially their pack.[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I thought that The Telegraph got it pretty right ;

@@@@SPAN><a name="2">Ireland player ratings</a>@@@@/SPAN>
          Girvan Dempsey 8/10
          Fine match. Superb hands and will be proud of the step which beat Jonny Wilkinson early on. Try was deserved, but oh so simple.
          Shane Horgan 7/10
          Always
          menacing, performance capped by dextrous take of Ronan O'Gara's
          cross-kick for his try. One lovely offload to Simon Easterby and a
          great angle off Brian O'Driscoll for near-try.
          Brian O'Driscoll 7/10
          Kicked poorly early on, but thereafter always asked questions as always. Defensive organiser supreme.
          Gordon D'Arcy 7/10
          Great early tackle on Andy Farrell which led to a penalty and delicious reverse flick for Dempsey's try.
          Denis Hickie 6/10
          Quiet. Could not really get into the game, but always looking for work.
          Ronan O'Gara 9/10
          Faultless goal kicking and teasingly pinpoint line kicking which broke English hearts. Scarcely put a foot wrong.
          Peter Stringer 7/10
          His usual efficient self, feisty and alert with that snappy pass. One excellent tackle on a clear Harry Ellis.
          Marcus Horan 7/10
          Part of a fine Irish scrummaging effort and always a valuable lifter at the line-out.
          Rory Best 7/10
          Excellent match. Found his jumpers at the line-out and worked hard in the loose.
          John Hayes 7/10
          The urban myth continues to be dispelled. Hayes can scrummage and put in some hefty tackles.
          Donncha O'Callaghan 7/10
          Early knock-on but otherwise a solid game in the engine room with his more celebrated partner.
          Paul O'Connell 8/10
          Colossal, both as leader and lock. Won copious amounts of line-out ball and destructive at the breakdown.
          Simon Easterby 7/10
          Gave Jonny Wilkinson an early clip and was his usual nuisance at the breakdown.
          David Wallace 8/10
          Deserved
          his score from close range for his ubiquitous presence. Made one
          eye-catching tackle on Josh Lewsey when England might have broken
          clear.
          Denis Leamy 7/10
          Carried powerfully as ever, especially when England kicked off deep.
          Substitutes

Jerry Flannery, Simon Best, Neil Best, Isaac Boss and Andrew Trimble
          all had the pleasure of entering the fray when the game was already
          over and Ireland were massively in the ascendancy.<t></t>

@@@@SPAN><a name="3">England player ratings</a>@@@@/SPAN>
          Olly Morgan 5/10
          Olly Morgan: Left the field of play early injured. But coped well with the initial aerial bombardment. No chance in attack.
          Josh Lewsey 4/10
          Out-jumped by Shane Horgan for Ireland's third try. Didn't get much ball but no longer the force he was.
          Mike Tindall 3/10
          Virtually anonymous in a game in which he had to take a lead. Comprehensively outplayed by Ireland's midfield.
          Andy Farrell 3/10
          Shouldn't
          shoulder all of the blame because he had nothing to work with but
          another England back who got no change out of Brian O'Driscoll and
          Gordon D'Arcy.
          David Strettle 7/10
          England's best back. Took his try superbly. If you can be pleased in a defeat of this magnitude, he should be.
          Jonny Wilkinson 5/10
          Short with one long-range effort but kicked well as usual. Hamstring wasn't an issue because he didn't have any ball to run.
          Harry Ellis 4/10
          Couldn't stop the rot and was so frustrated early on he conceded penalties. Now knows what it's like to play without the ball.
          Perry Freshwater 4/10

Replaced by Julian White but did not give England the scrummaging edge
          they required when on the pitch. Hasn't found his feet in the loose
          yet.
          George Chuter 3/10
          Had his troubles at the lineout
          in the first half and was knocked back by Simon Easterby and David
          Wallace when he tried to run at Ireland.
          Phil Vickery 4/10
          Leadership

Comment

thought Dempsey was very good. Horgan was disappointing though. He
            missed three or four tackles and should have been at least binned for
            the fourarm smash never mind when he took strettl out just before
            hickies excellent silent advantage.

Hickie was fine, didnt have much ball but did well.

BOD, Darcy good.

Rog mixed some excellent with some very poor. Stringers passing was
            largely good, i think 2 missed their target out of about 50-60 passes,
            his harrassing at the ruck was excellent and he was key for wallaces
            try, tackling corry at the base, then feeding both horgan and wallace
            quickly. But that kick was atrocious.

Easterby gave away a couple of pens and could find himself cited for
            the knee to wilkinsons head. He did a lot of good stuff, especially
            that break, but cost us with the pens.

Rest of the forwards very good.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta

Not going to bother with ratings, but I will say that I think the papers have been too generous towards Rog and Stringer. Rog may have been faultless in front of the posts but he was poor when kicking for position, probably worse than against France. Stringer's distribution was also weak and frequently wayward. Dempsey's trywould not have required such a moment of genius from D'arcy if Pete had found his target. D'arcy was actually my Motm from the backline, it might have been Horgan except for the fact that he tried to break someone's jaw. Another point largely ignored in the papers. Otherwise, the backline was magnificent. The pack was pretty much without weakness for the entire match, they were immense.

The problem with all the hype is that it disguises the fact that England were a very, very poor team. They are one-dimensional and absolutely without inspiration. Beating them should not be considered such an achievement for a team as talented as the Irish team that lined out yesterday. Neither should the triple crown that will follow be an achievement worthy of great celebration. France will take another grand slam and Ireland will be left to wonder what might have been. Sadly, this has become a familiar pattern under Eos, who now has only the World Cup to finally win something of merit.

ROG had 3 or 4 poor positional kicks but other than that he was superb and well warranted a rating of 9 out of 10. I also think Stringer played very well, 2 or 3 missed passes and a silly kick but otherwise excellent.

It was one of thos rare occassions when every one of the Irish players played very well and several of our players gave exceptional performances.

Performances like yesterday are what we will need in the RWC.

Comment

FFS - some people are never happy unless there's something to pi*s n moan about. Stringer and ROG in particular had fine games. Considering the conditions I thought Stringers passing was excellent. Stringer actually did well for Dempsey's try as his half a step back inside drew the midfield inside a step which createdgreater space for BOD to make the final pass to dempsey. Obviously D'arcy's brilliant flick pass was key.

"A familiar pattern under EOS" - what about the familiar fcukin patterns of our previous coaches!!??

Yes England were poor but we played really well from 1 to 15. France will probably win a grand slam but France are a class side who only beat us with a last minute opportunist try.Less of the unnecessary negativity please, I don't think I gained greater satisfaction from any sporting event as I did yesterday. Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole...

Comment

The problem with all the hype is that it disguises the fact that
                  England were a very, very poor team. They are one-dimensional and
                  absolutely without inspiration. Beating them should not be considered
                  such an achievement for a team as talented as the Irish team that lined
                  out yesterday. Neither should the triple crown that will follow be an
                  achievement worthy of great celebration. France will take another grand
                  slam and Ireland will be left to wonder what might have been. Sadly,
                  this has become a familiar pattern under Eos, who now has only the
                  World Cup to finally win something of merit.

Seconded. Nobody played poorly yesterday but emotional &amp; political
                  aspects aside, the only team in the 6N's worth beating from a purely
                  professional point of view was France &amp; we blew it. Even if put
                  record scores on Italy &amp; Sco, this 6N's can only be viewed as a
                  failure (unless Fra somehow lose to Eng &amp; even then it will be a
                  fairly hollow victory as we'll have relied on somone else to beat them.)

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again (like picking Gordon D'Arcy) and expecting different results.
                  Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't know how anyone could say Stringer did well for the first try, he nearly made a total mess of it. We had a MASSIVE overlap, all he had to do was fire the ball out and it was a try but we needed a blind flick and a lucky bouce to still score. Overall he wasn't bad, but to me did make more noticeable mistakes than others.

As for ratings, I think the pack should just be rated as a unit. They were awesome. 9/10.

Backs, well none played badly at all but some were more prominant than others, Hickie was the quietest player I thought, he also made one very poor kick, Dempsey has put any debate of FB to bed, our centres were excellent and so was ROG. I'm wondering if he still isn't used to the pitch dimensions or something though because to be 100% fair he did miss touch a couple of times. Horgan had a s**te first 10 minutes but did very well after that. I think he should have scored when he was put clean through, but we'll let him away with it.

Comment

Good to see your similarity to the baroness of kesteven dan. I
                      have a feeling that you would never give credit to stringer no matter
                      what.

He had a good game yesterday, yes three passes out of 60 went astray.
                      And he had one shocking kick, however he was crucial in Wallaces try.
                      Rog was under no pressure at any stage in the game he had so much time,
                      and strings certainly outplayed Harry Ellis who had been having a
                      good year up til the game.@@@@SPAN style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">@@@@/SPAN>
                      Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

ROG not being under pressure is more a testament to how slow Tindall and Farell are. And I'll give you that he outplayed Ellis, but Ellis was behind a pack getting hammered into oblivion every time it moved.

Comment

Personally I think Boss is Michael Bradley reincarnated. Both sometimes
                          described as the 9th forward, great break shame about the pass

Comment

Every member of the pack deservd 7-9 out of 10 easily!! If they hadn't of performed as they did we could of easily been pushed for the win! Every tackle that the forwards put either completely stopped the runner in their tracks or sent them backwards!!! It was a fantastic front 8 performance.
                            ANY MANS FINEST HOUR, HIS GREATEST FULFILMENT OF ALL HE HOLDS DEAR, IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE HAS WORKED HIS HEART OUT IN A GOOD CAUSE AND LIES EXHAUSTED ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE – VICTORIOUS.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor
                              Personally I think Boss is Michael Bradley reincarnated. Both sometimes described as the 9th forward, great break shame about the pass

Seconded. With BOD, Darcy et. al. in the backs, a scrum-half that can consistently get the ball quickly out to the backs is imperative. He may be one-dimensional butnothing is more infuriating than seeing a scum-halftrying to do it all on his own when there's people of better ability outside of him. Making five yard runs andkicking when there are better options outside only kills the attacking options. It's fine to occasionally make a break to keep a team honest. Stringer scored his try in the HEC Final because everyone knew he wouldn't run it.

Boss was good last week, andBOD's absencewasthe primary reason why the backs weren't as good as this week, but Stringer was just that much quicker to the rucks, that much quicker to see where ROG was, and that much quicker to make the pass (the passing for the first try excepted).

Comment

Working...
                              X