International Autumn Games 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    Dan Lydiate built a good career out of being a chop tackler.
    I think having someone who can chop down Billy/Manu will go a long way to beating England

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    The other fellas in that back row aren't poor tacklers, though, CJ, Leavy, Doris(if they are the starters) aren't exactly made of tissue paper. I'm a supporter who wants to see greater rotation; if its CJ,Doris,Leavy one game, and POM,VDF ,Conan for another with 2/3 of the others coming off the bench, or some mixing and matching I'm ok with it. I think that needs to be the methodology going forward in terms of selection. Ireland needs to get away from the "this is the entrenched starter in this position, no matter what" mentality.

i am starting to feel bad for Max Deegan, tbh; hasn't really put a wrong foot forward, yet is sort of getting lost in the shuffle. Is he going to contend for an Ireland place despite being pretty far down the pecking order at Leinster ? I don't think so, yet he has the talent to do it. One of the things people forget is that that coaches don't always make the correct decisions on who they prefer. They can only realistically play so many players in the "big" games, and that is where guys need to shine if they hope to get called up for Test rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I think it is an either/or; but yeah, you cannot really go wrong with those combinations. Connors is going to have to develop into something more than a fantastic tackler to be a Test starter. I think he can, but he will have to if he wants to unseat Dan Leavy, who i hope comes back with a vengeance. He was something special in 2018.

VDF is in the same boat. He has a massive workrate but nothing special. Irish players in general have a high workmates so i think Connors' chop tackling ability would add a new dimension. Connors is a bigger man too.

A fit Leavy will be ahead of both.

Comment

Originally posted by dropkick View Post

VDF is in the same boat. He has a massive workrate but nothing special. Irish players in general have a high workmates so i think Connors' chop tackling ability would add a new dimension. Connors is a bigger man too.

A fit Leavy will be ahead of both.
        Yeah, I think a fit Leavy, provided he returns to his pre injury form is at that top of that particular heap for Ireland. He was a cut above everyone else at 7. It is a good problem to have, a plethora of Test quality and Test proven back rowers; Farrell knows what he has on his hands and doesn't have to dip into the pool of players whose quality at that level is completely unknown unless he chooses to do so.

It will be interesting to see how the breakdown is officiated at that level; if they call it tightly and you just have to clamp on and lift the ball w/o surviving multiple clearouts, players who are adept at poaching will be at or near the top of the list in terms of selection b/c those moments can change a game.

Comment

Will be interesting to see who is selected in a couple of places apart from the back row. If Leinster or Ulster go on a run in the Heineken, out of sight out of mind may come into play for guys playing in other provinces. Hooker also still up for grabs, Kelleher good in the loose but the darts are still suspect. think 2 of the 4 lock spots are up for grabs, only Ryan and Henderson nailed down, Toner should be there on form but they may put him out to pasture after the 6N is finished for the 8N. he may not be the only one I suspect. Centre will be interesting too, will Bundees dodgy tackle technique cost him?

Would like to see a couple of the younger guys like Hume Casey and Keenan called up to the training squad even if they dont get game time for the experience. Think Casey of the three of them might be the closest to being a bolter as no one has really put their hand up for the 15 jersey - yet, someone may well do so in the upcoming European games. Not a lot of love for James Lowe here but he will be involved, he is deadly doing forward hungry for work and in fairness no worse a defender than a couple of the others. Earls is still by some distance the best defensive winger in the mix. On form over the past few weeks Gibson Park worth a look as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post
            Will be interesting to see who is selected in a couple of places apart from the back row. If Leinster or Ulster go on a run in the Heineken, out of sight out of mind may come into play for guys playing in other provinces. Hooker also still up for grabs, Kelleher good in the loose but the darts are still suspect. think 2 of the 4 lock spots are up for grabs, only Ryan and Henderson nailed down, Toner should be there on form but they may put him out to pasture after the 6N is finished for the 8N. he may not be the only one I suspect. Centre will be interesting too, will Bundees dodgy tackle technique cost him?

Would like to see a couple of the younger guys like Hume Casey and Keenan called up to the training squad even if they dont get game time for the experience. Think Casey of the three of them might be the closest to being a bolter as no one has really put their hand up for the 15 jersey - yet, someone may well do so in the upcoming European games. Not a lot of love for James Lowe here but he will be involved, he is deadly doing forward hungry for work and in fairness no worse a defender than a couple of the others. Earls is still by some distance the best defensive winger in the mix. On form over the past few weeks Gibson Park worth a look as well.
            Not a chance. He's on a central contract; those players don't get dropped unless they're clearly nearing the end of their international career.

Comment

With Furlong not back yet, very worrying how easily Saracens dominated the potential Irish starting front-row. Porter will come back stronger and improve his scrummaging, but off the back of his performance today and against England in Twickenham, not sure how you can trust him as a starter or as a backup in a big International game against the likes of England or South Africa. I wonder if John Ryan and Finlay Bealham will come back into contention for an International call-up.

The one positive from an Ireland perspective is how good Ryan Baird was off the bench. He repeatedly gained yards in tight carries and given Ireland’s need for more ball-carriers, will probably put pressure on some of the incumbents for a squad place.

Comment

Baird was good but Sarries were out on their feet by then
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                  Baird was good but Sarries were out on their feet by then
                  Hopefully that Sarries Pack will be much more tired by the time Baird and Conan take them on in the england game

Always blue! Always blue!
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                    Hopefully that Sarries Pack will be much more tired by the time Baird and Conan take them on in the england game

Racing in France will be a very serious test.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post

I'm sure that Mr. Anonymous will be chomping at the bit for that one. He's good for tearing apart the Dragons on a February Sunday in Newport but becomes decidedly average when the competition steps up a notch.

Comment

I honestly had to check whether Conan started yesterday. He goes missing against top teams.

True class will out. Guys like James Ryan, CJ, POM and Leavy step up when playing against teams like Sarries. They can’t win those games on their own, but at least they make their presence felt.

Baird looked like he had potential to be one of those players, but we’ll only know when he starts these games. Impact off the bench like that isn’t the same as dogging it out from the start. God knows we need a few more in the Ireland pack.

Comment

Loathe them or loathe them, Sarries have been the best club side in Europe since 2015. 2018 is looking more and more like an aberration at club and international level with the Sarries and English pack knackered from the Lions tour.

Leinster should be looking to reconvert Porter to loose head. Pity they didn't do it last season or they might have kept a tight head or two. They look to have strong replacements coming through elsewhere though, with Leavy's return the big unknowable. They seem a bit too nice without him.

Comment

Anybody have an opinion on who starts at 1, 2, 6, 7, 12, 14 or 15 for Ireland this autumn?

Can’t remember the last time there was so much uncertainty in so many positions and so many starters badly out of form. That list doesn’t even include tighthead, where Furlong is yet to return from injury and doesn’t take into account that both locks are just back from injuries.

Hopefully the injuries and bad form end up being a blessing in disguise for Farrell and he gets to blood a few new players, but at this point with the form of key players, it’s hard to see Ireland winning in Paris, let alone getting the bonus-point win required to win the six nations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                              Anybody have an opinion on who starts at 1, 2, 6, 7, 12, 14 or 15 for Ireland this autumn?

Can’t remember the last time there was so much uncertainty in so many positions and so many starters badly out of form. That list doesn’t even include tighthead, where Furlong is yet to return from injury and doesn’t take into account that both locks are just back from injuries.

Hopefully the injuries and bad form end up being a blessing in disguise for Farrell and he gets to blood a few new players, but at this point with the form of key players, it’s hard to see Ireland winning in Paris, let alone getting the bonus-point win required to win the six nations.

The best fullback this season has been Shane Daly.
                              Larmour has been the worst and at this stage it might be better to move him to the wing where his strengths would be better utilised. He could make a very good winger.

McCloskey deserves a shot at 12.
                              Doris has to start.
                              Baird will overtake Henderson soon enough but for now he will make a great impact sub.
                              Leavy to start if he comes back to his best.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

1- Kilcoyne is still out, so the shirt is Healy's to lose.

2- Kelleher. if he is the future, no time like the present to find out. Nobody else has really jumped out with their performances after the restart.

6- Doris. Same as Kelleher. If he is this star in waiting, time to end the waiting. You could also swap him in at 8 and put CJ at 6. I'd like to see Beirne get a start at 6 during one of the "8 Nations" matches as well.

7- JVDF, to start, Connors to back him up but I'd call Murphy into the squad as well to see if he's still a viable Test player.

12- Aki. He is a better player than Henshaw right now.

14 - Conway. If he isn't a starter, then Farrell has no business coaching. He has been the best winger in the country for a while now.

15- Larmour will probably get the nod by virtue of the fact that there really isn't anyone else . Could he go with Conway at 15, with Larmour on the wing ?, He could and I'd be alright with it provided that is how he sets it up in training from day 1 to get Conway serious time in camp reacquainting himself with the position.

Any selections in the back 3 depend on what Farrell does with Stockdale. He has become such a liability defensively (and even with the ball at times) it cannot be ignored any longer by pointing to his positive qualities and the fact that he scores tries here and there. Yeah that 6N was great and the try against the All Blacks was special, but that seems a very, very long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X