International Autumn Games 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Autumn Games 2020

Midi Olympique reporting that there will be an 8 team tournament in the Autumn International window. The 6N + Japan + Fiji. 2 groups of 4 + a finals day. Nov 14, 21, 28 and Dec 5.

2020 6N pencilled in to finish Oct 24th Ireland v Italy and 31st Super Saturday.

I'm just hoping for some changes to the Irish side when things get going. If you were picking the side tomorrow, a lot of fellas would just be getting in on reputation alone. That's not healthy. If they're going to pick on recent form, you'd have to say the Munster players have the most recent form, and should be rewarded for that.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
      I'm just hoping for some changes to the Irish side when things get going. If you were picking the side tomorrow, a lot of fellas would just be getting in on reputation alone. That's not healthy. If they're going to pick on recent form, you'd have to say the Munster players have the most recent form, and should be rewarded for that.
      No once has form since early March
      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Could be something like this..

Killer
        Kelleher
        Furlong
        Ryan
        Henderson
        Stander
        Leavy (including him even though he hasn´t played in since March 2019)
        Doris

Cooney
        (no idea who to play here, Sextons form fell off a cliff, Maybe Byrne, Madigan, JJ)

Earls
        Bundee Aki
        Ringrose
        Andrew Conway
        Larmour

bench
        Heffernan,Healy, Porter, Dillane, Conan, Murray, (Byrne, Madrigan, JJ), (Stockdale/Henshaw)
        He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

Still, Munster have the most recent form.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

According to B. Jackman Leinster's academy was so good since then they will fill the Ireland squad going to the 2023 RWC.
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
              Could be something like this..

Killer
              Kelleher
              Furlong
              Ryan
              Henderson
              Stander
              Leavy (including him even though he hasn´t played in since March 2019)
              Doris

Cooney
              (no idea who to play here, Sextons form fell off a cliff, Maybe Byrne, Madigan, JJ)

Earls
              Bundee Aki
              Ringrose
              Andrew Conway
              Larmour

bench
              Heffernan,Healy, Porter, Dillane, Conan, Murray, (Byrne, Madrigan, JJ), (Stockdale/Henshaw)
              Very hard to argue with that team and I’d agree regarding the fly-half position - where there is no outstanding option at the moment. Sexton’s performances definitely warrant as much critique as Murray’s ( if not more ), but Sexton is lucky that there hasn’t been a 10 who has been as consistently outstanding as Cooney has been for Ulster at 9. I would probably add Burns to the list of fly-halves, as he has plenty of experience playing outside Cooney and he is one of the only guys who has started consistently at 10 for his province, over the last two years.

I’d be happy to see Larmour given a few more starts at 15, but I’d also like to see Stockdale get a run there at some stage.

Lowe has looked a step-above every other winger in the PRO14, so it will be interesting to see if he can transfer that form over to the international stage.

I would really like to see Farrell at 13 for some of the big matches, I know Its unlikely given Ringrose recently signed a central contract, but for me, he creates far more space for the outside backs.

Comment

I had forgotten about Lowe...
                He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Fiji confirmed for the Autumn Tournament with the 6N sides. Georgia rumoured to be the 8th side.

Games on Nov 14, 21 and 28 with a finals day on Dec 5.
                  Last edited by neill_m; 23-July-2020, 16:47.

Comment

BBC sport has posted the following half an hour ago....

"England will face Wales, Ireland and Fiji in one group, with the latter two fixtures at Twickenham and the venue of the first game still to be decided.

In the other pool, Scotland will host Japan and France at Murrayfield and face Italy in Rome.

The tournament will be staged on four consecutive weekends until 5 December, with each team facing their equivalent in the other pool on that final weekend with the venue to be decided.

Official confirmation of the schedule and the venues is expected in August."

I'm presuming each of the 6N teams get two home games and have one away (so Ireland home to Wales and Fiji; England home to Ireland and Fiji, Wales home to England and Fiji),

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                      BBC sport has posted the following half an hour ago....

"England will face Wales, Ireland and Fiji in one group, with the latter two fixtures at Twickenham and the venue of the first game still to be decided.

In the other pool, Scotland will host Japan and France at Murrayfield and face Italy in Rome.

The tournament will be staged on four consecutive weekends until 5 December, with each team facing their equivalent in the other pool on that final weekend with the venue to be decided.

Official confirmation of the schedule and the venues is expected in August."

I'm presuming each of the 6N teams get two home games and have one away (so Ireland home to Wales and Fiji; England home to Ireland and Fiji, Wales home to England and Fiji),

Yep, Ireland Will play Wales in Dublin, then England in Twickenham, then Fiji in Dublin, according to another report I read.

A rematch with Japan would be interesting.

Comment

Looks like a waste of time this tournament - what is it suppoed to achieve - money? probably no crowds - so how does it achieve that? Just concnetrate on finishing the 6N this year and making sure next year's goes ahead.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                          Looks like a waste of time this tournament - what is it suppoed to achieve - money? probably no crowds - so how does it achieve that? Just concnetrate on finishing the 6N this year and making sure next year's goes ahead.
                          pretty much just something to sell the tv rights to. They may try and claim it isn't the usual AI's since Fiji and Japan are involved and it has a "winner". The unuons may try and squeeze more money from the broadcasters by doing it this way. At least it is something to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            Discussions on going about Twickenham having c40k attendance- and TV... 6N to be finished off before this tournament.. but YES not much benefit there overall.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Discussions on going about Twickenham having c40k attendance- and TV... 6N to be finished off before this tournament.. but YES not much benefit there overall.
                              Would anybody care who wins? Presumably and hopefully a chance to try out some new players.

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Working...
                              X