• Show
Clear All

6N R3) England in Twickenham - Sunday Feb 23rd @ 15.00

Starts
    23rd-February-2020
    Ends
    23rd-February-2020
    I am the million man.

Await with baited breath what ****e Eddie Jones will utter advance of this.
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
      Await with baited breath what ****e Eddie Jones will utter advance of this.
      He might be a bit more fearful of Andy than he was at Joe...I know I would be.

Comment

Is BillyV in the mix for this?

Kinda get the feeling what has won games 1 & 2 will not be good enough to win game 3, Ireland need to continue to improve
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          Is BillyV in the mix for this?

Kinda get the feeling what has won games 1 & 2 will not be good enough to win game 3, Ireland need to continue to improve
          He's out for several months yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

He might be a bit more fearful of Andy than he was at Joe...I know I would be.
            Plenty motivation for Andrew, hope he takes the lads to the well.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Hate to say it but Doris needs to come in at 8 for England game and POM on the bench - as extra ball carrying required otherwise same selection - assuming Henshaw who was excellent is fit.
              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                Hate to say it but Doris needs to come in at 8 for England game and POM on the bench
                Quiet news day?
                When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

13 Players gone back to provinces, 23 man squad go to Cork for squad training

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/02/10...get-game-time/
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                    Hate to say it but Doris needs to come in at 8 for England game and POM on the bench - as extra ball carrying required otherwise same selection - assuming Henshaw who was excellent is fit.
                    I'd give serious consideration to starting a back row of CJ, POM & Doris against England, this is said on the basis that we give equally serious consideration to a 6/2 bench split, with VDF and Deegan covering back row. (Cooney & Addison covering the backs). I wouldn't pick a back row to counter Underhill and Curry, both good players in their own right but England's back row lacks balance. We seem a bit lightweight in the engine room these days too and for my money, Toner on the bench is not the answer. He has struggled against England recently, he matches neither their power & intensity nor their athleticism ... very disappointed to see Dillane returning to province.

Earls has presented Farrell with a real conundrum, his defensive reading, tackling and general heads up play on both sides of the ball, is invaluable. Stockdale has strike power but still appears to have much to learn, particularly in defense.

Pretty sure Farrell will go for continuity but I just cant see it being enough, think we need to be a bit bolder in selection and tactics. Not suggesting anything radical but a few tweaks might be enough.

Comment

Availability dependent, I don't see Farrell changing that team much at all. You've now gotta earn your right to play on it. That team just dismantled rugby world cup semi finalists Wales, who only lost by a whisker to winners SA. Ireland 2019 were poor, losing to Japan in the group before being annihilated by NZ.

Yes, it's only 2 tests on, but this team look like they're turning a corner form wise, and after ever improving performances by POM , Conway & Stockdale, dorris & Earls are more likely to start as 'finishers' from the bench imho.

Ireland looked really good, the back row well balanced and Stockdale better than previous also. He has many 'work ons' but is doing better in a winning side.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Speycaster View Post

I'd give serious consideration to starting a back row of CJ, POM & Doris against England, this is said on the basis that we give equally serious consideration to a 6/2 bench split, with VDF and Deegan covering back row. (Cooney & Addison covering the backs). I wouldn't pick a back row to counter Underhill and Curry, both good players in their own right but England's back row lacks balance. We seem a bit lightweight in the engine room these days too and for my money, Toner on the bench is not the answer. He has struggled against England recently, he matches neither their power & intensity nor their athleticism ... very disappointed to see Dillane returning to province.

Earls has presented Farrell with a real conundrum, his defensive reading, tackling and general heads up play on both sides of the ball, is invaluable. Stockdale has strike power but still appears to have much to learn, particularly in defense.

Pretty sure Farrell will go for continuity but I just cant see it being enough, think we need to be a bit bolder in selection and tactics. Not suggesting anything radical but a few tweaks might be enough.
                        POM could move to 7 but I think he will and should stick wIth VDF and he could go with Earls but again I think he will and should stick with Stockdale. Previously thought is should be be Cooney but now think it will and should be Murray. Leaving Doris the only change.

On the bench perhaps Dillane for Toner - but again I think he will leave it as is - though I'd prefer to see Dillane.
                        Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 10th-February-2020, 17:07.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Seeing as there's a lot of discussion re. the back row. Read the other day that Leavy is back running again and so far no issues with the knee. Looks like he doesn't want to rush back so mightn't be making a full return til the beginning of next season. If he gets back to his best, he's good for a place in the 23.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalui View Post
                            Seeing as there's a lot of discussion re. the back row. Read the other day that Leavy is back running again and so far no issues with the knee. Looks like he doesn't want to rush back so mightn't be making a full return til the beginning of next season. If he gets back to his best, he's good for a place in the 23.
                            Saw that too ........... it leaves Leinster potentially with: Deegan, Doris, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Connors and Ruddock all fit for selection. It'll be interesting to see if the Leinster faithful will now bollock Cullen, for leaving out Ruddock

Comment

Originally posted by Speycaster View Post

Saw that too ........... it leaves Leinster potentially with: Deegan, Doris, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Connors and Ruddock all fit for selection. It'll be interesting to see if the Leinster faithful will now bollock Cullen, for leaving out Ruddock
                              And then there's the other youngster at 7, smallish but deadly
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X