X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Yes. Stockdale is going through a lean patch but he will be fine when he sorts himself out. A shaky game or two and everyone forgets what a talented player this lad is. When he first appeared on the scene he was a breath of fresh air to the stodgy Ireland back play of the time. Yes, his defensive organization needs some work, and maybe he has to develop a bit of dog and aggression. But he has actually pulled off sone pretty good tackles in his career so far. I'd still back him for a great international future.

I'd have Earls and Conway there now but I wouldn't write him off. The stuff he has is a lot harder to find than the stuff he hasn't. He needs to improve defensively, but that can happen.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post
    I guess it's the old story of a young fella achieving a hell of a lot maybe too fast. Alec Ferguson used to bemoan the fact that a boot up the hole was no longer acceptable treatment for same. Hopefully young Jacob will get his defensive act together sooner rather than not at all.
    Yes. Stockdale is going through a lean patch but he will be fine when he sorts himself out. A shaky game or two and everyone forgets what a talented player this lad is. When he first appeared on the scene he was a breath of fresh air to the stodgy Ireland back play of the time. Yes, his defensive organization needs some work, and maybe he has to develop a bit of dog and aggression. But he has actually pulled off sone pretty good tackles in his career so far. I'd still back him for a great international future.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    I guess it's the old story of a young fella achieving a hell of a lot maybe too fast. Alec Ferguson used to bemoan the fact that a boot up the hole was no longer acceptable treatment for same. Hopefully young Jacob will get his defensive act together sooner rather than not at all.
    Last edited by ustix; 2-March-2020, 21:22.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by blueberry View Post

Don't think it's fair to say Mushy was too nice. He was dealing with a fair bit of ****e when people only saw 'unfulfilled potential' and created their own explanations. You should read this, it gives a good bit of perspective -> https://www.the42.ie/tony-buckley-in...15798-May2018/

As for Stockdale, I don't remember Trimble being the human torpedo on the wing he styled himself into when he started as a wiry outside centre. He has a bit of development to do, but he has talent and time (and I don't agree with any Irish player ever being called a coward ! . . . ok, maybe Rob K when he failed to tackle Richie Gray, but that's just for divilment :-) )
    I have read that article- but I fail to see what it has to do with whether he was as aggressive on the field as his stature would have allowed him to be. Mental health challenges, as for example with Quinny, do not stop people being assertive on the pitch, whatever agonies they may be experiencing inside.

Leave a comment:

• blueberry
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree, in the same way that mushy and dos were/are.
    Don't think it's fair to say Mushy was too nice. He was dealing with a fair bit of ****e when people only saw 'unfulfilled potential' and created their own explanations. You should read this, it gives a good bit of perspective -> https://www.the42.ie/tony-buckley-in...15798-May2018/

He adds: “People talking about unfulfilled potential, that’s why I try not to go into the past. People who believe that, they haven’t walked any steps in my shoes. When you have so many injuries and illnesses, pains and aches, and you’re trying to play every week… I loved playing, I’d be buzzing… but those negatives just take from the love of it. You end up being swallowed up by the negativity.
    As for Stockdale, I don't remember Trimble being the human torpedo on the wing he styled himself into when he started as a wiry outside centre. He has a bit of development to do, but he has talent and time (and I don't agree with any Irish player ever being called a coward ! . . . ok, maybe Rob K when he failed to tackle Richie Gray, but that's just for divilment :-) )

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post

Not as such, but any club seeking promotion has to show that they've been compliant with Premiership regs for two seasons. So Sarries will definitely be down for two years, and they'll need to be under the salary cap straight off to come back up then.
    Ah- I see- that’s an interesting way of covering that off.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

They might manage to fit the salary cap, though! (Is there one in the championship?)
    Not as such, but any club seeking promotion has to show that they've been compliant with Premiership regs for two seasons. So Sarries will definitely be down for two years, and they'll need to be under the salary cap straight off to come back up then.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

Doesn’t attract much comment but Wray isn’t getting any younger and he is trying to sell. If he walked away they would go bang overnight.

Last time I looked Wray was in for £46.5m on the balance sheet but I would expect that is not the reality, closer to £80m.

There are far more than 6/7 players involved in the co-investment in personal property, coaching staff are in as well, Wray has refused to fully open his books as he does not want this "property" scheme fully exposed to the authorities.

Wray has been investing in players for a long time, he brought Sella, Lynagh, Piennar to London, property prices there do not really go backwards over the term of a player's contract.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Don’t be silly. He’s not a coward. He’s just not a particularly aggressive lad.

Look at the big smiley head on him. Too good-natured by half.

He’ll learn or others will surpass him. Would expect Earls to come back in next game, if any go ahead.
    Agree, in the same way that mushy and dos were/are.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post

Stockdale is a coward simple as.
    Don’t be silly. He’s not a coward. He’s just not a particularly aggressive lad.

Look at the big smiley head on him. Too good-natured by half.

He’ll learn or others will surpass him. Would expect Earls to come back in next game, if any go ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

That really surprised me. For a big winger, he really does not use his size and is downright awful at chasing kicks. His defence is now a glaring deficiency. It was tolerable when he was scoring tries frequently but now that he isn't, Earls should come back into the starting role. He just got a central contract, which also surprised me considering how obvious that side of his game needs to be worked on.
    Stockdale is a coward simple as.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied

Their problem will be paying any salaries, what with sponsors walking away, reductions in funding for championship clubs, the fines etc.
    Doesn’t attract much comment but Wray isn’t getting any younger and he is trying to sell. If he walked away they would go bang overnight.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied

They might manage to fit the salary cap, though! (Is there one in the championship?)
    Their problem will be paying any salaries, what with sponsors walking away, reductions in funding for championship clubs, the fines etc.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post

Don’t think Itoje will be anything like the player without Kruis next door. If he and the Vunipolas are gone from Salaries they won’t be half the club.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied

Big loss to England. Top class enforcer that fella.
    Don’t think Itoje will be anything like the player without Kruis next door. If he and the Vunipolas are gone from Salaries they won’t be half the club.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X