6N R3) England in Twickenham - Sunday Feb 23rd @ 15.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
    Nobody should be dropped from the starting team that beat Wales. POM is just the man for a hard nosed wrestle with England at Twickenham. He's great at being a total pest and getting under their skin, not to mention his unique lineout nicking skills. It would be a bit daft of Farrell to risk Doris, coming off an injury, not played a full game for some time, a complete newbie as a starter in this match. Let POM play himself to a standstill and bring on Doris from the bench.
    I do not get all the talk about fearing the physicality of the England pack. Their Ireland counterparts are a bunch of tough nuts too. It 's all about getting up for the game, stuck into them right from the off and avoiding the traditional Irish slow start.

Last week against Wales was the first time we'd really bested a Tier 1 pack since Scotland at the World Cup, and the last time before that was....well, christ knows.

England gave us two absolute hidings in 2019, all based on their dominance of our pack in general and the contact area in particular. We've had no response for it. Producing one this weekend will be a huge statement for this group of players.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

The Vunipolas are Welsh imports, no?
      They're certainly not from Bridgend
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardP View Post

Well Ulster is nearly full with Leinster lads but I really dont like the idea of every province being full of them; it dilutes the brand of each province. Maybe the solution is to create another Leinster team, after all Ireland did have five ‘provinces’ at one time, ‘Cúige Laighean Nua’?
        Edit: Not sure whose post I thought I was responding to but it obviously wasn’t meant to be yours Cowboy!
        I think the time has arrived where supporters care more about the jersey than who is wearing it. The Ulster fans don't seem to mind that Cooney wasn't born and raised there; they love what he is doing on the pitch. Same goes for all of their "imports". Does it bother anyone that Conway came thru the Leinster system ? That is the nature of pro sports. Teams want to win, to do that you need the players. If Leinster are producing too many and the other provinces not enough, they'll end up taking the Leinster guys on b/c they can help the team win.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I think the time has arrived where supporters care more about the jersey than who is wearing it. The Ulster fans don't seem to mind that Cooney wasn't born and raised there; they love what he is doing on the pitch. Same goes for all of their "imports". Does it bother anyone that Conway came thru the Leinster system ? That is the nature of pro sports. Teams want to win, to do that you need the players. If Leinster are producing too many and the other provinces not enough, they'll end up taking the Leinster guys on b/c they can help the team win.
          Lancaster was interviewed by Off the Ball, he said as long as the identity of a club or province is protected it will allow players come in and out. Does Cooney embody that Ulster belligerence and cocksure swagger? I would say most definitely yes.
          I am the million man.

Comment

Really looking forward to the game this weekend, looks like it's going to be a cracking test e g. 'the wounded bulldog' versus 'the Celtic Phoenix'.

Great to see Ireland playing accurate, dynamic rugby again, it will be fascinating to see if they can improve this further to beat the Orcs on their home patch....

P.s. Jaco Peyper reffing, so he'll likely let much foul play go, and favour the bigger union's side (as that's his previous track record) , so Ireland will need to have those sides of their game honed also.... I.e. ref management, dealing with unpunished illegal hits, and continue to play their gameplan to the max, despite any & all dodgy decisions....

it promises to be gripping stuff.
            Go Ireland!!!
            Last edited by Daithi; 17-February-2020, 13:46.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Da Brexits are favourites at the moment anyway. Might change after teams named.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-02-17 162857.png
Views:	97
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2594200
              I am the million man.

Comment

Yeah Cowboy, those big hitting Orcs are strong favourites really, and the bookies/ betting market rarely get it wrong, I suppose. Still, without being too plucky, I like the momentum of Ireland's trajectory at the mo , and despite Jaco (pay per hit) reffing it, if one of the (remaining) England power players pull out or go down with early maybe, (or an unlikely red card say) I.e. Itoje, Vunipola &/or Sinkler, then that will level the playing field pronto.

Yes, England are strong favourites, and for good reasons, but there are also ways one can see that Ireland can win this game , even with all players staying fit, & playing a full part, and that makes this a very engrossing game imho...

I've got a feeling about this one, Ireland are doing all the right things, soundings are good too, & are definitely moving in the right direction. Whether they're there yet is the only question imho !?! to reverse the absolute hammerings this English team have repeatedly inflicted on them thru 2019... let's see, I can't wait!!

P.s. the weather will matter ,(Ireland will want it dry, & firm, though with their rejuvenated kicking game, Ireland will probably like a bit of wind (looks likely too) & England might not like that at all tbh, if Ireland play to potential in that aspect of play...
                Last edited by Daithi; 17-February-2020, 16:47.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Given the bias that posters show in terms of their own provinces players playing for Ireland not sure if that holds true just yet.

Hereabouts Dave Kilcoyne should start ahead of Healy on other boards DK is firmly on the bench. Likewise assumption here is that Carberry will assume the reins from Sexton soon, elsewhere the thinking is that Leinster were smart in retaining Byrne and offloading the slighter Carberry. Even calling these players Leinster rejects shows that deep down where the come from still matters. Personally think there is still too much of the GAA Parish mentality in all of us

Think if any other province goes past 50% 1st choice are ex Leinster players then the identity will suffer, inevitably so.

Comment

There's no issue with a few ex-Leinster lads being at the other provinces but personally I do think it's an issue when it's more than a "few" (admittedly an inexact number..). Look at Ulster, their first choice 23 has only 7 Ulster born-and-bred players in it. That isn't enough for the identity to remain strong - I would say you need to roughly invert those 'native vs non-native' numbers (i.e 16 born-and-bred in province and 7 not, rather than other way around).

If Munster were to pick every NIQ/non-Munster origin player next season in a Pro14 match (i.e. not strongest team), the team could be:

1.Loughman 2.Marshall 3.Knox

4.Kleyn 5.Snyman

6.Beirne 8.Stander 7.Cloete

9.McCarthy 10.Carbery 12.De Allende 13.C.Farrell 14.Conway

11.Wooton 15.Haley

16.Scannell 17.Parker 18.Archer 19.Holland 20.A.Botha(?) 21.McCarthy 22.Bleyendaal(?) 23.Gallagher

Zero Munster-raised in starting XV, and only 6 Irish-raised. Whole 23 = 3 Munster-raised.

Now this is an extreme illustration but it's still evidence of excessive identity-dilution, IMO.

Comment

Looking at England, Tuilagi being back is a big blow. He is just so powerful and dynamic and has surprising speed/an offload. Henshaw will have to be at his best (thankfully he's a pretty big guy). Although, England were average at best for two-thirds of the game against France and didn't impress at all against Scotland, terrible conditions notwithstanding. Surely they're there for the taking to some extent?...

Comment

Originally posted by neliog93 View Post
                        Looking at England, Tuilagi being back is a big blow. He is just so powerful and dynamic and has surprising speed/an offload. Henshaw will have to be at his best (thankfully he's a pretty big guy). Although, England were average at best for two-thirds of the game against France and didn't impress at all against Scotland, terrible conditions notwithstanding. Surely they're there for the taking to some extent?...
                        Any extent will do
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Victor Costello calling for Doris to be included before either CJ or POM for this one. Says Doris is the future and the boys haven't been that good. The Indo always happy to oblige with that stuff.
                          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by neliog93 View Post
                            There's no issue with a few ex-Leinster lads being at the other provinces but personally I do think it's an issue when it's more than a "few" (admittedly an inexact number..). Look at Ulster, their first choice 23 has only 7 Ulster born-and-bred players in it. That isn't enough for the identity to remain strong - I would say you need to roughly invert those 'native vs non-native' numbers (i.e 16 born-and-bred in province and 7 not, rather than other way around).

If Munster were to pick every NIQ/non-Munster origin player next season in a Pro14 match (i.e. not strongest team), the team could be:

1.Loughman 2.Marshall 3.Knox

4.Kleyn 5.Snyman

6.Beirne 8.Stander 7.Cloete

9.McCarthy 10.Carbery 12.De Allende 13.C.Farrell 14.Conway

11.Wooton 15.Haley

16.Scannell 17.Parker 18.Archer 19.Holland 20.A.Botha(?) 21.McCarthy 22.Bleyendaal(?) 23.Gallagher

Zero Munster-raised in starting XV, and only 6 Irish-raised. Whole 23 = 3 Munster-raised.

Now this is an extreme illustration but it's still evidence of excessive identity-dilution, IMO.
                            I dont really buy this argument, if you think most of those lads are not buying into Munster's identity and want to contribute to defining what this province is about you're selling them short.

Conway mentioned in an interview yesterday that he and his Dad supported munster, and he even came down to training here whilst he was in school.

Munster, above all else have the easiest to define identity in Irish rugby, you know what you are going to get on the field and off. These fellas coming in dont want to dilute the identity they want to add to it!

anyway, thats for another thread.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                              Victor Costello calling for Doris to be included before either CJ or POM for this one. Says Doris is the future and the boys haven't been that good. The Indo always happy to oblige with that stuff.
                              He didn't know a back row's job when he was playing, so I don't see why he would now.
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm with the West Brit, Dublin 4, who-the-feck-are-Munster, conveyor-belts-r-us brigade on this one...

Doris should play (but not before CJ).
                                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Working...
                                X