Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6N R3) England in Twickenham - Sunday Feb 23rd @ 15.00

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by ustix View Post

    And then there's the other youngster at 7, smallish but deadly
    SOBs *****?
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

    Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

    Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post

      SOBs *****?
      Negative!
      Last edited by ustix; 11th-February-2020, 11:03.
      Gwan Joe!!

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by kahalui View Post
        Seeing as there's a lot of discussion re. the back row. Read the other day that Leavy is back running again and so far no issues with the knee. Looks like he doesn't want to rush back so mightn't be making a full return til the beginning of next season. If he gets back to his best, he's good for a place in the 23.
        Leavy for me was a significant reason for Ireland's (strange) decline - he should go straight back in whenever he's ready.
        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

        Originally Posted by mr chips
        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Speycaster View Post

          Saw that too ........... it leaves Leinster potentially with: Deegan, Doris, VDF, Leavy, Conan, Connors and Ruddock all fit for selection. It'll be interesting to see if the Leinster faithful will now bollock Cullen, for leaving out Ruddock
          They'll be moaning at the IRFU when one or more of these guys leave for another province. They've all shown the ability to play at HC level,; Doris and Deegan won't be happy with bench minutes or being rotated constantly. One or two will have to be moved to keep them within Ireland or they'll be lost to a foreign payday. That's the reality of professional sport these days. Leinster supporters brag about the conveyor belt, but it is starting to back up and something has to give b/c they have too many players for a set number of spots.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by ustix View Post

            And then there's the other youngster at 7, smallish but deadly
            Scott Penny

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

              They'll be moaning at the IRFU when one or more of these guys leave for another province. They've all shown the ability to play at HC level,; Doris and Deegan won't be happy with bench minutes or being rotated constantly. One or two will have to be moved to keep them within Ireland or they'll be lost to a foreign payday. That's the reality of professional sport these days. Leinster supporters brag about the conveyor belt, but it is starting to back up and something has to give b/c they have too many players for a set number of spots.
              Yup, spot on.

              Leinster have a fantastic conveyor belt, but it is backing up big time. Some of these guys could make better money & up their future career prospects at the other provinces if managed right....

              Time for Nicifora to justify his job here me thinks.......
              ____________________________________________
              Munster were great when they were Munster.

              alas they are just north munster now.......
              ____________________________________________

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Daithi View Post

                Yup, spot on.

                Leinster have a fantastic conveyor belt, but it is backing up big time. Some of these guys could make better money & up their future career prospects at the other provinces if managed right....

                Time for Nicifora to justify his job here me thinks.......
                Look at their 10 situation. Sexton shows up once in a while, they've got two Byrnes and Frawley behind him. Somebody is going to have to leave b/c Sexton isn't going to hang up the boots unless he is forced to do so.

                The IRFU needs to look into fielding a 5th province comprised of mainly younger players from the provinces who can't get starter's minutes b/c they're stuck behind internationals, sending these guys to Super Rugby teams on loans or loaning them to English / French clubs so they can get game time. At some point they'll look at the years moving by and "wonder what if ?"

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

                  Look at their 10 situation. Sexton shows up once in a while, they've got two Byrnes and Frawley behind him. Somebody is going to have to leave b/c Sexton isn't going to hang up the boots unless he is forced to do so.

                  The IRFU needs to look into fielding a 5th province comprised of mainly younger players from the provinces who can't get starter's minutes b/c they're stuck behind internationals, sending these guys to Super Rugby teams on loans or loaning them to English / French clubs so they can get game time. At some point they'll look at the years moving by and "wonder what if ?"
                  Ulster and Connacht have been doing a pretty good job at taking any excess of their hands recently. There are always going to be a few areas where there is an embarrassment of riches, but I don't think there's sufficient to justify anything like a fifth province. Out half meanwhile is one of those positions where there are always a lot of 'players with potential'.

                  Leinster haven't been producing back 3 players of note (apart from Larmour) and although they have decent centres behind Henshaw/Ringrose as the early Pro14 games proved, they're not exactly pushing them for their place on the team.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Leinster is a business behind it all, I would think they would rather players go abroad rather than stay here were they might boost the opposition.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

                      Leavy for me was a significant reason for Ireland's (strange) decline - he should go straight back in whenever he's ready.
                      Which backrower should he replace?
                      Erse end of nowhere

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Turlough1 View Post
                        Leinster is a business behind it all, I would think they would rather players go abroad rather than stay here were they might boost the opposition.
                        Doubt that Turlough,
                        business it may be, a division of the IRFU it certainly is, the better the local competition, the more players moving between provinces adds to interest, viewers, etc, etc

                        All Irish provinces would prefer to see their 'excess' players stay within the Irish system for a whole plethora of reasons, including they may come back to serve them someday in some capacity...
                        Last edited by Daithi; 11th-February-2020, 20:32.
                        ____________________________________________
                        Munster were great when they were Munster.

                        alas they are just north munster now.......
                        ____________________________________________

                        Comment


                          #27
                          My big problem with the leinster conveyor belt is that their schools system clearly prepares players for an earlier start into pro rugby. This leaves the 'late' developers at a big disadvantage. They don't get selected as they aren't ready. Meanwhile leinster player x gets hyped up to the national team. It must be difficult to be patient and wait in the academy while players with similar talent but earlier development get ahead. Easy to be disheartened.
                          "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
                            My big problem with the leinster conveyor belt is that their schools system clearly prepares players for an earlier start into pro rugby. This leaves the 'late' developers at a big disadvantage. They don't get selected as they aren't ready. Meanwhile leinster player x gets hyped up to the national team. It must be difficult to be patient and wait in the academy while players with similar talent but earlier development get ahead. Easy to be disheartened.
                            Agree- that earlier maturation, centre of most of the nations media, and proximity to the Ireland structure gives guys a massive head start- but often the competition they have to fight through to get a chance makes a massive difference. They are, undeniably I think, better compared on an age basis. We can’t do the same thing as they do- but we can be successful if we take our situation into account..and that, as you say, players may well feel disheartened- build emotional maturity as well all the other stuff.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

                              Which backrower should he replace?
                              VDF
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                              Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

                                VDF
                                That's harsh on VDF. Leavy should have to play his way back in, just like anyone else not named Sexton.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X