6N R3) England in Twickenham - Sunday Feb 23rd @ 15.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

There’s nothing outdated about starting your best players. You can use Eddie Jones’ terminology if you like but you still won’t see England putting Billy V on the bench because he can make huge impact as a “finisher”.

Killer is currently playing better than Healy over 60-80 minutes. His scrummaging is as good and his play around the field is superior. Having him on the bench just for impact is a waste.
    I know what you mean, and while I'd say you'd always prefer to be starting, it really is a squad game more than every, and he is really valuable in the role he seems to be in.

Comment

Is Killer the nuCooney?
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        Is Killer the nuCooney?
        He's the new Sean Cronin. Doomed to be considered the impact sub no matter how well he's playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

There’s nothing outdated about starting your best players. You can use Eddie Jones’ terminology if you like but you still won’t see England putting Billy V on the bench because he can make huge impact as a “finisher”.

Killer is currently playing better than Healy over 60-80 minutes. His scrummaging is as good and his play around the field is superior. Having him on the bench just for impact is a waste.
          You seem intent on putting words in my mouth.

I don’t know where the “just” to provide impact comes from - I certainly haven’t said that.

I definitely don’t agree that having a player in the bench to provide impact is a waste, it’s an enhancement.

I’m also not sure if I agree with you on the particular player, but I’m convinced that if we continue this conversation it’ll end up with you posting a picture of him half obscured by another player saying look he’s actually pretty svelte or something like that.

To put it simply: modern thinking is “most appropriate use of resources for the most appropriate moment.”

EDIT - to be fair my opinion on who is the better player is likely biased in this case, however I do stand by the starters and finishers method and that a bench player adding impact is actually a good thing.
          Last edited by Oldschoolsocks; 21-February-2020, 10:51.
          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

England team to face Ireland

Daly; May, Tuilagi, Farrell (capt), Joseph; Ford, Youngs; Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Stuart, Launchbury, Ewels, Earl, Heinz, Slade.

Comment

If Killer started lets say, and lasted 3 mins - would Healy have the legs to play 77 mins against that English pack?

Its no shot at Healy btw, I'm happy hes starting as he is a bull. But I think Killer could play 77 mins (just about), because hes not the heavy tank that Healy is.

In the front row especially I dont really subscribe to starting meaning you're preferred anymore, just ask John Ryan and Steve Archer at Munster like.
              I am the million man.

Comment

If Killer started lets say, and lasted 3 mins - would Healy have the legs to play 77 mins against that English pack?
                Personally I think Killer deserves the starting spot as he's in better form (it's a close call no doubt, Healy is absolute quality) but Healy did something similar to the above scenario against Scotland. Very few front rowers can go the full 80 these days but that was impressive from Healy.
                Last edited by Kevy-Wevz; 21-February-2020, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Daly; May, Tuilagi, Farrell (capt), Joseph; Ford, Youngs; Marler, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Lawes, Underhill, Curry.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Genge, Stuart, Launchbury, Ewels, Earl, Heinz, Slade.
                  Tuilagi back in with Slade on the bench is not what I wanted to see as an Irish fan.
                  Last edited by Kevy-Wevz; 21-February-2020, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Gibson View Post

Youngs and Marler. Them there's the weaklinks.
                    I wish them an orrible Sunday afternoon respectively.

Didn't get it.
                    Better team mashed us up
                    Last edited by ustix; 23-February-2020, 23:20.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Youngs and Marler. Them there's the weaklinks.
                      I wish them an orrible Sunday afternoon respectively.
                      May/Joseph will be very dubious under the high ball also and no back 3 cover on the bench

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Its no shot at Healy btw, I'm happy hes starting as he is a bull. But I think Killer could play 77 mins (just about), because hes not the heavy tank that Healy is.

In the front row especially I dont really subscribe to starting meaning you're preferred anymore, just ask John Ryan and Steve Archer at Munster like.
                        I know what you mean but it depends on the quality available. I don't think anyone would suggest Furlong shouldn't be starting for example, despite his undoubted ability to provide a big impact for 20mins.

Comment

Henderson out... Toner in, Dillane to the bench
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                            yep, new baby yesterday...
                            He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                              May/Joseph will be very dubious under the high ball also and no back 3 cover on the bench

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
                              Our chasers will likely be chaperoned elsewhere all the same
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                                B@lls , didn't want that. Even though Henderson (or Ryan ) didn't have his best game v Wales imho, his carrying ability and general strength in the contact area & loose would have been very helpful in Twickenham....

Still big opportunity for big Dev to restake his claim, good luck to him!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                                X