South Africa to join the Six Nations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa to join the Six Nations?

According to the NZH, the Saffies are in "secret talks" to join the Six Nations in 2024.

Seems to have originated from Daily Mail, who say they are joining in 2024, will put a serious hole in Southern Hemisphere competition. RTÉ recycled the daily mail story.

Comment

The article also cited the successful introduction of two teams to the PRO14 ....
      “One, Fineen needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Fineen’s not on field, all the other players should be asking 'Where's Fineen?

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
        Seems to have originated from Daily Mail, who say they are joining in 2024, will put a serious hole in Southern Hemisphere competition. RTÉ recycled the daily mail story.
        It would effectively end it. The Wallabies can win against the AB's here and there, but I don't see them being a consistent threat given how union down there is in a shambles. Maybe Rennie can bring them some stability on the pitch. Their main problem is player drain; Japan seems to be scooping up all sorts of talent at the moment. Argentina just aren't that good these days. I don't like the "Nations Championship" idea but I can see why they were pushing it. The SH is struggling to fill seats and draw eyes to screens.

The travel for the Rugby Championship is grueling with home and away matches. They could bring Japan in and do a five team competition where each team plays each other once only; Fiji is the elephant in the room in terms of obviously being good enough to play with that group and not embarrass themselves, but they don't bring much to the table financially or with viewing numbers.

Comment

It makes sense for SA. A healthy, higher revenue competition with better TV money and audiences, in their time zone, and cuts them loose of the issues that Australia are facing.

Leaves World Rugby in a very bad spot re: New Zealand though, and they'd need to find somewhere to put their Super teams.

I think the bigger picture is that World Rugby has to do whatever is needed to rescue the game in Australia, or it risks the implosion of the southern hemisphere game.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

While the logistics of incorporating two SA teams into PRO14 has worked, that’s largely because people tend to play a couple of games when travelling there, or when they come north. Travelling to play one match in SA would be difficult in terms of the following week, although that might be fixable if we had a longer competition, but I can’t see pro14, premiership or top14 wanting that. Having separate pools, with a play off, is an awful option- can’t see how else it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              I think the bigger picture is that World Rugby has to do whatever is needed to rescue the game in Australia, or it risks the implosion of the southern hemisphere game.
              Agree with this, if SA left they could look at incorporating japan, Fiji, Samoa. It’s also possible that SA don’t really want to move, but are just using it as a negotiating position to protect against rescue of the game in Oz doesn’t end up costing SA too much.

Comment

I can certainly see why SA would like to join the 6Ns but I'm not sure if there would be much in it for the 6Ns. Yes it would expand the tournament and bring in a SH side, yada, yada

but would it commercially benefit the 6Ns by an extra 1/6th say?and would this be worth all the logistics and hassle of more 6, then 7 nations games?? not to mention the club's who would probably go absolutely ape.

More likely for me, (though vc may get in the way of course), if the 6Ns is to expand, is that the US Eagles would make a far better bed fellow. I.e. massive commercial potential, shorter flight times, closer cultural fit, manageable time difference and adding to genuinely growing the global game in the NH, while not goosing it in the SH.....

Hopefully sense will prevail...
                Last edited by Daithi; 11th-February-2020, 15:14.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

They could drop Italy, bring in SA, and it would still be the 6N. That is still a net gain of tv viewers which is the main reason this is being talked about. Flying to SA and back is a long haul, but it isn't worse than what the southern hemisphere sides deal with when they play the rugby championship. Money talks and this will probably happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                    I can certainly see why SA would like to join the 6Ns but I'm not sure if there would be much in it for the 6Ns. Yes it would expand the tournament and bring in a SH side, yada, yada

but would it commercially benefit the 6Ns by an extra 1/6th say?and would this be worth all the logistics and hassle of more 6, then 7 nations games?? not to mention the club's who would probably go absolutely ape.

More likely for me, (though vc may get in the way of course), if the 6Ns is to expand, is that the US Eagles would make a far better bed fellow. I.e. massive commercial potential, shorter flight times, closer cultural fit, manageable time difference and adding to genuinely growing the global game in the NH, while not goosing it in the SH.....

Hopefully sense will prevail...
                    we shouldn't be expanding at all. And manages to feck over Georgia and other actual European teams. While also messing up the other southern hemisphere teams and can the global game survive that?

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                      we shouldn't be expanding at all. And manages to feck over Georgia and other actual European teams. While also messing up the other southern hemisphere teams and can the global game survive that?

I don’t believe there is any rugby reason for expanding- the rationale is commercial, and such reasoning comes to the fore when financial speculators think they can get a return on their investment. Selling stakes to CVC and their ilk changes the game/ quite literally- and not for the better.

Comment

What's the situation with CVC et al currently?

I think they own a portion of the premiership and last I checked they were sniffing around the pro14 & even 6Ns ??

Has there been any further developments there or elsewhere???

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                          What's the situation with CVC et al currently?

I think they own a portion of the premiership and last I checked they were sniffing around the pro14 & even 6Ns ??

Has there been any further developments there or elsewhere???
                          I believe they’ve bought stakes in both the GP and Pro14.

Not done the deal on the 6Ns yet. Stalled on the insistence of the unions that it would have to stay free-to-air. May still happen though.

Comment

I'd prefer to see the Argies set up base in Barcelona and play in a 7 nations.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Agree with this, if SA left they could look at incorporating japan, Fiji, Samoa. It’s also possible that SA don’t really want to move, but are just using it as a negotiating position to protect against rescue of the game in Oz doesn’t end up costing SA too much.
                              I think they actually do want to move. The time zones are a killer for them in terms of viewing the games, which lowers the ratings which in turn affects the TV deals they can negotiate. At least Europe is only two hours behind them instead of being 9 or 10 hours ahead like Aus and NZ are. Also, travelling up to Europe is a bit easier than going to NZ, Aus and Argentina. The jet lag on the players isn't as bad when the time shift isn't as dramatic

Comment

Working...
                              X