Ireland - Scotland 1st Feb 16.45 - Six Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ireland - Scotland 1st Feb 16.45 - Six Nations

Right some surprising news for the Ireland vs Scotland 6 Nations opener on Sat, 1st February

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51222874

Finn Russell will not face Ireland after 'protocol breach'

By Tom English

BBC Scotland

Influential fly-half Finn Russell will not play in Scotland's Six Nations opener against Ireland next Saturday after "a breach of team protocol", Scottish Rugby have confirmed.

However, it is understood the Racing 92 playmaker left the team's training camp in Edinburgh of his own accord.

It remains unclear whether the 27-year-old will play at all in the campaign.

"Finn Russell will play no further part in preparations for Scotland's Six Nations opener," a statement read.

'Townsend argument sparked comeback'

After last season's epic 38-38 draw with England, Russell said a half-time "argument" with coach Gregor Townsend helped spark a remarkable comeback.

Scotland trailed 31-7 at the break, but roared back to lead before George Ford's last-gasp converted try denied them a first Twickenham win since 1983.

"I actually had an argument with Gregor [at half-time]," Russell told ITV after the game.

"I said to him 'you're telling us to kick and when we kick, they just run it back and cut us open, and when we run it, they're just hitting us behind the gain line and winning the ball back'.

"Second half, we just came out with nothing to lose, played our rugby, kicked out of our half and scored some great tries. We played good Scottish rugby."

'Hard to imagine more devastating blow' - analysis

BBC Scotland rugby reporter Andy Burke

It's hard to imagine a more devastating blow to Scotland's Six Nations hopes just nine days before they kick-off their campaign against Ireland in Dublin.

Russell is the one player in the Townsend's side you would describe as irreplaceable. He's the creative heartbeat of the team and when he's missing Scotland are a much weaker proposition.

His decision to leave the Scotland training camp will send shockwaves through the Scottish support and the Six Nations as a whole.

Townsend was already under enormous pressure going into this championship off the back of a failed World Cup campaign.

Having his star fly-half walk out on the squad just over a week before the Six Nations opener only heaps more heat on the head coach, who must surely be hoping this situation can still be salvaged and Russell can be tempted back into the fold.
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

A repeat of what happened with the French guys perhaps, enjoying the local nightspots too much.

Comment

SRU say he was sent home... huge blow to Scotland and TBH game will be less for his absence. Another nail in Gregor Townsends coffin

Scottish Rugby

@Scotlandteam
      STATEMENT | Scotland team spokesperson: “Stand-off Finn Russell will play no further part in preparations for Scotland’s Six Nations opener against Ireland, having been disciplined for a breach of team protocol during the week’s camp in Edinburgh. He has returned to his club."

Comment

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
        SRU say he was sent home... huge blow to Scotland and TBH game will be less for his absence. Another nail in Gregor Townsends coffin

Scottish Rugby

@Scotlandteam
        STATEMENT | Scotland team spokesperson: “Stand-off Finn Russell will play no further part in preparations for Scotland’s Six Nations opener against Ireland, having been disciplined for a breach of team protocol during the week’s camp in Edinburgh. He has returned to his club."
        A numpty imo.
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
          A numpty imo.
          Maybe they didnt have enough practice balls?

Comment

Hmmm

"Russell also has some underlying issues with the hierarchy at Murrayfield, with his father Keith having been fired from his position as Director of Domestic Rugby with Scottish Rugby in 2018 but successfully winning his case of unfair dismissal.

In that case Scottish Rugby CEO Mark Dodson was specifically criticised by the tribunal chairman for his actions during the dismissal and management practices in general.

Dodson has been in the news during the past week when Scottish Rugby’s accounts for 2019 were released showed his pay and bonuses amounted to nearly £1 million for the year."

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/spor...linary-breach/
            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

My team for the Scottish game (assuming Larmour is out)

Healy
              Herring
              Furlong
              Henderson
              Ryan
              Stander
              VdF
              Doris
              Murray
              Sexton
              Stockdale
              Aki
              Ringrose
              Conway
              Addison

Kelleher
              Kilcoyne
              Porter
              Dillane
              Deegan
              Cooney
              Byrne
              Henshaw
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                My team for the Scottish game (assuming Larmour is out)

Healy
                Herring
                Furlong
                Henderson
                Ryan
                Stander
                VdF
                Doris
                Murray
                Sexton
                Stockdale
                Aki
                Ringrose
                Conway
                Addison

Kelleher
                Kilcoyne
                Porter
                Dillane
                Deegan
                Cooney
                Byrne
                Henshaw
                I reckon Larmour will make it, and its gotta be Cooney ahead of Murray. I'd also like to see Killer ahead of Healy - not saying he's better overall, but if we're planning to play a more dynamic game, he's more likely to generate clean (or even dirty!) breaks. No POM and no Toner will put a lot of pressure on our lineout though. I'm not sure Ringrose's form has been all that great in the last year (improved since he came back from the WC) but no one is putting their hands up as a definite replacement.

Comment

R
                  Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

Scottish Rugby

@Scotlandteam
                  Sent home, left camp of own accord. Plenty scope for compromise there! Things not at all well north of the border- Townsend seemed to me to do very well with Glasgow, but Scots a was a tougher task, when he took over and appears to be getting increasingly difficult.

Comment

They'r a bit of a mess at the moment, but Hastings is a capable player and while he may not give you the spectacular plays that Russell is known for, he probably won't have the amount of "just missed" and "if that had just gone to hand" ones that Russell does. Russell looks great for Racing, not as great for Scotland outside of a few big performances here and there.

Comment

I demand to know exactly what Russell did, and reserve my right to talk about every potential ramification of it as nauseum.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Sky Sports

Session.
                        Finn Russell was sent back to his club by Scotland following a drinking incident on Sunday evening that led to him not showing up for training on Monday, according to Sky Sports.

The outhalf reportedly ignored several requests to stop drinking at the hotel bar after he met up with his international teammates following Racing 92’s Champions Cup defeat to Saracens last Sunday.

He then later left the team hotel of his own accord to return home to Stirling before missing Monday’s session. He was then told he would not play against Ireland but was asked to return to training to aid with preparations on Thursday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Russell been liking comments on instagram from random fans saying the SRU should fire Townsend to allow him to return to the set up. Coming across as a bit of a tit really.
                          "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Sounds like a bit of a gabhail
                            Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                              Russell been liking comments on instagram from random fans saying the SRU should fire Townsend to allow him to return to the set up. Coming across as a bit of a tit really.
                              Apparently “turned down the option” to remain with the squad and help prepare for Ireland.

It’s one thing to fall out with the coach but you don’t rock up, get publicly pissed and disappear for a day. Disrespectful to team mates and everybody else.

If he really dislikes Townsend too much to play for him, he should have the balls to say so and take the fallout.

Wonder what this will do to Russell’s form. He was flying for Racing but the inevitable reaction to this could get in his head. He’s the kind of lad who is prone to the odd meltdown.

Comment

Working...
                              X