X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Originally posted by ustix View Post
    Should Jared Payne be finding a place in the 23?
    Jared Payne was a great fullback IMHO, but we mostly played him at 13 where he was defensively rock solid but lacked the acceleration and footwork to be really effective.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Should Jared Payne be finding a place in the 23?

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied

Healy
    Flannery
    Furlong

O'Connell
    Ryan

Ferris
    Wallace
    Leamy

Murray
    Sexton

Darcy
    O'Driscoll

Earls
    Bowe (narrowly ahead of Hickie)

Kearney

Flannery and Leamy are hills I'm willing to die on.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post
    Back at work bored and want to watch some debate. Best Irish 23 of the professional era. Must have a minimum of 20 caps in the professional era to be eligible so no Simon Geoghegan, James Ryan squeaks in. Would go for the following
    Healy, Wood, Furlong, O’Connell, J Ryan, Ferris, O’Brien, Heaslip, Stringer, Sexton, Bowe, Darcy, O’Driscoll, Earls, Kearney
    Subs
    Flannery, Popplewell, Claw, O’Kelly, D Wallace, Murray, O’Gara, G Murphy
    Not sure about Darcy. He had a long and successful partnership with BOD and at his best was a great player. But BOD always seemed to do well outside a powerful straight runner who could also offload. In this respect, Rob Henderson and Kevin Maggs would be strong candidates. BOD did form a great centre pairing with the underrated Henderson for the Lions in Australia. Henderson was basically a lazy big lump who did not like to train, but when got up to full fitness was really very good. Perhaps both did not have 20+ caps in the profession era? I can't remember.

Leave a comment:

• LongtimeLurker
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Murray is a better defender (by a mile), better box kicker and has a better break than Strings ever had, and he can place kick. At his peak he was the best 9 in the world (hopefully he’ll hit those heights again). Stringer never got close to that (and I was a big fan of him).
    Don’t know if I’d agree Murray a better defender by a mile. one thing you could never fault Stinger for was his bravery in defence, despite his stature, he was 11 stone of pure heart. Technically he was a very good tackler – he had to be - he did a better job on Jonah Lomu in open play than most. I also remember a game saving tackle – on Philips I think - in the 2009 grand slam game against Wales with about 5 minutes to go. He is by some distance our best ever exponent of the tap tackle, the Dan Luger one in particular sticks in the mind from the early 2000s. He didn’t break often but when he did as against Biarittz in Cardiff it was usually reasonably effective! Can understand absolutely why people would go for Murray ahead of him, two Lions tours etc etc, but for me I’d go with Stringer at 9, selection is all about personal bias after all. Made the absolute most of himself, incredible longevity 20 year career in the professional game - Ireland's oldest ever professional? - open to correction on that.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied

Murray is a better defender (by a mile), better box kicker and has a better break than Strings ever had, and he can place kick. At his peak he was the best 9 in the world (hopefully he’ll hit those heights again). Stringer never got close to that (and I was a big fan of him).
    Murray is the better overall scrumhalf but Stringers speed and quality of passing would probably be better suited to this team. It would give the attack more width and also the ball a few seconds quicker to attack the blitz defence more.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    And then there's the case of Denis Leamy

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Larmour ineligible under the completely arbitrary 20 caps rule. Personally I'd have Claw there ahead of the Bull for pure old fashioned gnarl. Stringer's pass gets him in ahead of Murray for me, Murray that bit slower to release those outside. Wally was a tough one but the ultimate bench option can do a brilliant job at 6/7/8, SOB for me better as a 7. Would not have POM ahead of Ferris or Wally personally, Ferris was a force of nature when fit, he was incredibly unlucky with injuries. MOK V DOC V D Ryan tight alright - MOK shades it for me, says a lot about just how good James Ryan has already proved to be when you look at who is excluded.

Leave a comment:

• LongtimeLurker
    replied
    Larmour ineligible under the completely arbitrary 20 caps rule. Personally I'd have Claw there ahead of the Bull for pure old fashioned gnarl. Stringer's pass gets him in ahead of Murray for me, Murray that bit slower to release those outside. Wally was a tough one but the ultimate bench option can do a brilliant job at 6/7/8, SOB for me better as a 7. Would not have POM ahead of Ferris or Wally personally, Ferris was a force of nature when fit, he was incredibly unlucky with injuries. MOK V DOC V D Ryan tight alright - MOK shades it for me, says a lot about just how good James Ryan has already proved to be when you look at who is excluded.

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    And Keith starts with young Lar on the bench in lieu of TB/Georgian Murphy

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied

Feck it, stick SOB at 8 to make room for Wally at 7 with Ferris at 6, then just practice giving them the ball.

Murray’s the best all round SH we’ve ever had. Better than Strings.

The Bull would be ahead of Claw IMHO.

O’Kelly v DOC v D Ryan is a tough one.
    Agreed on Hayes over Claw and Murray over Strings. Wally has to start. Donncha (Ryan) trumps Mal for me. No Peter?
    Poor return from the province of Ulster

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Back at work bored and want to watch some debate. Best Irish 23 of the professional era. Must have a minimum of 20 caps in the professional era to be eligible so no Simon Geoghegan, James Ryan squeaks in. Would go for the following
    Healy, Wood, Furlong, O’Connell, J Ryan, Ferris, O’Brien, Heaslip, Stringer, Sexton, Bowe, Darcy, O’Driscoll, Earls, Kearney
    Subs
    Feck it, stick SOB at 8 to make room for Wally at 7 with Ferris at 6, then just practice giving them the ball.

Murray’s the best all round SH we’ve ever had. Better than Strings.

The Bull would be ahead of Claw IMHO.

O’Kelly v DOC v D Ryan is a tough one.

Leave a comment:

• LongtimeLurker
    started a topic Best 23 of the professional era?

Best 23 of the professional era?

Subs

Working...
X