Ireland u20 6 Nations and World Championship 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LPAC View Post

Star quality? I hear one of my old schools past pupils scored a hattrick on the wing!!! We’re they just run ins? Or was he not ripping it up as getting a hattrick would suggest?
    Smith scored a hat trick and got son binned. Eventful day for him.

The first try was a pick up from ten metres after munster dropped the ball in their own 22. The last 2 were run ins after he ran good supporting lines and took offloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    \"In a world gone mad, only a lunatic is truly insane\"

Comment

IIRC there were more Ulster players in the starting XV then any other province. A sign they’re starting to produce again?

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
        IIRC there were more Ulster players in the starting XV then any other province. A sign they’re starting to produce again?
        Nah. There were 6 Leinster players started the game and virtually the whole 25 man bench was theirs too. Couple of very handy looking Ulster players alright though, especially Hyde at 12.

Comment

Hydes an exile as is Dunne and McNulty.

​Ulster missing McCann and Sexton though.

Comment

Irish 20's forwards preview

LH Prop

Harry Noonan(Greystone RFC/Old Wesley)
            Marcus Hanan(Clane RFC/Old Belvedere)
            Mark Donnelly(CBC/Shannon) - u19

Noonan likely to start first game, don't think there is much between him and Hanan be interested to see how both perform. Donnelly looks 3rd choice and may be called upon if theres injuries at the position.

TH Prop
            Tom Clarkson(Blackrock/DUFC)
            Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf)
            Ryan McMahon(Clongowes/Old Belvedere)

Clarkson returns and could captain side.. Was excellent last season as a u19 and will hope to continue that fork this season. Ward got a few caps last summer during the JWC and can cover both sides of scrum. McMahon is an impressive physical prospect but there I'd have concerns over his scrummaging and discipline.

Hooker
            John McKee(Campbell/Old Belvedere)
            Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD)
            Tom Stewart(BRA/Ballynahinch) - u19

Some concern around this position in regards to line out throwing, Stewart offers the most around the pitch and that could be the difference maker. McKee returns from last season and needs a big season. Sheehan impressed playing AIL last season for UCD as a 18 year old, built like his brother Dan if given an opportunity at this level may surprise.

Lock
            Tom Ahern(Dungarvan RFC/Shannon)
            Brian Deeny(Wexford RFC/Clontarf)
            Eoin O'Connor(Waterpark RFC/Young Munster)
            Paddy Kelly(St. Munchins/Garryowen)
            Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD)
            Cormac Izuchukwu(Roscrea/Old Wesley)
            Joe McCarthy(Blackrock/DUFC) - u19

Ahern and Deeny both return after getting capped last summer during the RWC. Deeny could playing 6 but looks more likely to play 4 with Ahern at 5. Both are big athletic players who are a long way from filling out threir frames. O'Connor and Kelly are more physically developed but not as good athletes.. Interested to see who gets the bench spot between them first time up. Prendergast is a lock/blindside and this versatility could earn him a place on the bench. Izuchukwu is top tier athlete who has been playing 7's since last season, he played 13 in school and is very much a player in development at lock. Finally McCarthy is a player who emerged last season while playing for Blackrock, he almost immediately played AIL out of school and while it would be a surprise if he played during the 6 nations due to the depth at the position its only a matter of time before he gets 20s caps.

Backrow
            David McCann(RBAI/Banbridge)
            Sean O'Brien(Blackrock/UCD)
            Mark Hernan(St. Michaels/Lansdowne)
            Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
            Josh Dunne(Exile/Galwegians) - Connacht Acad
            Lucas Culliton(Roscrea/???) - Connacht Acad
            Cian Hurley(CBC Cork/Garryowen)
            Alex Soroka(Belvedere/DUFC) - u19

David McCann returns and the versatile backrow could line up at any of the three positions in the backrow, although I think he could feature at 8 early on. Sean O'Brien is a classic blindside but is capable of covering at 8 also.. Mark Hernan emerged last season captaining St. Micheal's to SCT glory he is a classic openside and while needing to bulkup could get the 1st shot at starting at 7. Anthony Ryan can cover all three backrow positions but looks like Hernans main competition at openside, Ryan is physically much larger than Hernan and this could be a factor when facing bigger packs. Josh Dunne is an exile who joined Connacht last season, he appears to be a classic number 8.. Culliton is an openside who while raw is apparently an excellent athlete. Cian Hurley is a 6/8 who looks more likely to feature at blindside for the 20s if selected. Finally Alex Soroka has played 2nd row, 6 and 8 this season and could feature for the 20s at 6 this season.

Comment

Top class stuff, cheers.

If Buckley was fit at hooker where would you have him?

Are there any other injured forwards who would have been in the mix?

Comment

Top two potentially. Certainly if he could nail his throwing he'd push for a position on the bench at least.

Comment

Originally posted by ScrummieMan View Post
                  Top two potentially. Certainly if he could nail his throwing he'd push for a position on the bench at least.
                  Cheers.

Stewart is big for a U19 and is very athletic, but based on last week he badly needs to work on his throwing

Comment

Yeah it's a concern alright. Wait and see.

Comment

Other concerns I'd have are depth in in midfield, quality at 9 and backup 10..

Comment

Scrumhalf
                        Lewis Finlay(Down HS/Malone)
                        Conor McKee(Sullivan/Queens) - u19
                        Ben Murphy(Pres Bray/Clontarf) - u19

A lot of question marks at this position it appears Finlay looks to be 1st choice at the moment but how highly he is rated seems to be anyone's guess. Below that McKee and Murphy were the top two scrum halves on last year's Ireland u18 side. Both have played some AIL and currently look to be competing for the bench spot behind finlay.

Outhalf
                        Jack Crowley(Bandon/Cork Con)
                        Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC/UCD) - u19
                        Cathal Forde(Corinthians) - u19

Crowley is clearly the 1st choice here and will be a key player for the 20s to be successful. Meanwhile Tim Corkery and Cathal Forde both are involved in the 20s squad which would have been considered a surprise at the start of the season. Corkery especially has came from nowhere this season, first leading Leinster u19 to interpro success and then appearing for Leinster A in the Celtic Cup. Two seasons ago the starting 10s for Ireland u18 were Paddy McKenzie and Dylan Prendergast neither of whom seem to have made step up outside of schools rugby. Cathal Forde was involved in the 2nd Ireland u18 side last season and it will be interesting to see if he or Corkery are the sub 10 first game up.

Centre
                        Hayden Hyde(Exile/Ballynahinch)
                        Luis Faria(Wanderers/DUFC)
                        Harry O'Riordan(CBC Cork/UCC) - u19
                        Shane Jennings(Garbally/Ballinasloe) - u19
                        Ben Moxham(Ballymena) - u19

An interesting mix of players Here, Hyde looks to be a key player who will line up at 12 and Ireland will rely on heavily in midfield. After him it's a matter of who fits best next to him at 13. Jennings is a minor GAA star who Connacht have managed to get away from Galway hurling.. He is raw but an excellent athlete. I don't know much about Moxham, who has came through the Ulster club scene. Faria came through the Leinster club game and while not a big name has consistently been picked at 13 for Leinster underage sides. Finally O'Riordan may be in pole position for the 13 spot, he featured their last season for Ireland u18 and it will be interesting to see how he goes if given the nod first game up.

Back Three
                        Max O'Reilly(St. Gerards/DUFC)
                        Andrew Smith(St. Michaels/Clontarf)
                        Niall Comerford(Blackrock/UCD)
                        Ethan McIlroy(Methody/Queens)
                        Oran McNulty(Exile/Corinthians)
                        Diarmuid Kilgallen(Roscrea/Galwegians)
                        Josh O'Connor(Wexford/UCD) - u19
                        Conor Rankin(Campbell/Ballynahinch) - u19

Max O'Reilly returns from last years JWC but isn't assured of a starting position in this back three. A more natural 15 he looks to be competing again McNulty and Rankin for that position with McNulty looking favourite to win out. On the wings it looks likely it will be Smith and McIlroy who both look to be in good form and are highly rated within their respective provinces. Comerford, Kilgallen and O'Connor are primarily wingers and it will be interesting to see who will be called upon first if required. Should mention Aaron Sexton will likely be missing due to Irish 7's duty.

Comment

Cheers again.

Would it be fair to say that while we have a potentially strong first 15 this year, that we don’t have the depth from previous seasons and that injuries to a few crucial players (Crowley, McCann, Clarkson and Hyde) could seriously derail things?

Comment

Thanks for the squad preview, ScrummieMan.

Looking forward to seeing how the former Galway minor gets on, if he gets game time. Jennings was a really talented hurler, so a bit of coup to get him.

I'm assuming Ciaran Booth is still out with the injury he suffered at the JWC?

Would have liked to see Cormac Izuchukwu played at centre, as a backup to Hyde. I know he played his Scottish club rugby at second row, but I think he could struggle to make it professionally in the second row. His physical attributes don't really stand out as much there and there is a chance that the extra weight he will have to put on, to play second row, could slow him down.

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                              Thanks for the squad preview, ScrummieMan.

Looking forward to seeing how the former Galway minor gets on, if he gets game time. Jennings was a really talented hurler, so a bit of coup to get him.

I'm assuming Ciaran Booth is still out with the injury he suffered at the JWC?

Would have liked to see Cormac Izuchukwu played at centre, as a backup to Hyde. I know he played his Scottish club rugby at second row, but I think he could struggle to make it professionally in the second row. His physical attributes don't really stand out as much there and there is a chance that the extra weight he will have to put on, to play second row, could slow him down.
                              with Jennings having played in Garbally and Ballinasloe natural enough he focused on rugby as club wise not in strongest set up so progression to higher level of hurling not easiest for him...
                              no mention anywhere of booth so think is still injured
                              izzy playing in Scotland? When what level?

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                                with Jennings having played in Garbally and Ballinasloe natural enough he focused on rugby as club wise not in strongest set up so progression to higher level of hurling not easiest for him...
                                no mention anywhere of booth so think is still injured
                                izzy playing in Scotland? When what level?
                                Izzy played for Kelso in the Division 1 of Scottish Tennant's National league in 2018. I think he was in Uni there.

While I was researching to find the name of the club he played for, I found this highlights reel of him. Admittedly, against a poor enough standard of opposition, but as ScrummieMan said, athletically he looks a real talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7_syWcHlkk

Comment

Working...
                                X