Ireland u20 6 Nations and World Championship 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aupa les rouges View Post

Blast, I missed the game and can't find a recording anywhere. Links or download anyone?

Comment

Top 50 U20 players.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-t...s-in-the-world

Comment

World championship called off. Can't see the 6N being played off in the Autumn, new season, new players.

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
          World championship called off. Can't see the 6N being played off in the Autumn, new season, new players.

That's a shame, especially for the guys not involved during the six nations. There's normally considerable change in the squads from six nations to JWC for various reasons and more often than not the guys who get the JWC call up normally take the opportunity with both hands.

Would it be possible to run off two age grades in the 2021 JWC (U20 &U21)?

Comment

If the 6N is stopped we would still win anyway so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackdidley View Post

That's a shame, especially for the guys not involved during the six nations. There's normally considerable change in the squads from six nations to JWC for various reasons and more often than not the guys who get the JWC call up normally take the opportunity with both hands.

Would it be possible to run off two age grades in the 2021 JWC (U20 &U21)?
              There isn't any mention of the under 20 games in the "Autumn Six Nations" plans, so I'm assuming those games are indefinitely called off.

I think having both an under 21 and under 20 world championships would be a great idea. As you've said, there are often guys that go from not being in the Ireland under 20 six nations squad to earning an academy contracts based on their JWC performances (Vakh Abdaladze and Dan Sheehan spring to mind).

Comment

I have tickets for Ireland V Italy which was fixed for March 6th-there hasnt been any word about refunds!

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post

There isn't any mention of the under 20 games in the "Autumn Six Nations" plans, so I'm assuming those games are indefinitely called off.

I think having both an under 21 and under 20 world championships would be a great idea. As you've said, there are often guys that go from not being in the Ireland under 20 six nations squad to earning an academy contracts based on their JWC performances (Vakh Abdaladze and Dan Sheehan spring to mind).
                  I dont see any under 20s games happening.
                  the countries will have moved on to the next age group. Unfortunate for some of the under 20s without contracts or chance to play in a world cup.
                  under 21 and 20 world championships wouldnt really be feasible imo. what of coaches and resources there. Whatever of bigger rugby countries who may be able to devote resources to 2 sides. Smaller wouldnt.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post

I dont see any under 20s games happening.
                    the countries will have moved on to the next age group. Unfortunate for some of the under 20s without contracts or chance to play in a world cup.
                    under 21 and 20 world championships wouldnt really be feasible imo. what of coaches and resources there. Whatever of bigger rugby countries who may be able to devote resources to 2 sides. Smaller wouldnt.
                    To me, it’s a waste of the resources already put into these under 20 teams, to completely abandon their world championships. You would assume that most nations would have put aside some financial resources for this year’s under 20 teams, anyway.

If two competitions aren’t feasible, I would prefer they moved the age-grade back up to under-21, for next year.

Comment

To me, it’s a waste of the resources already put into these under 20 teams, to completely abandon their world championships. You would assume that most nations would have put aside some financial resources for this year’s under 20 teams, anyway.

If two competitions aren’t feasible, I would prefer they moved the age-grade back up to under-21, for next year.
                      I dont think it is and if you're putting resources aside for these aides then you're going to want to do it right so it'll be close to or as much as any normal year and just one side so where are many countries going to get funding for coaches and everything else for another squad of 35+ and coaching team of 8/9.
                      and moving to 21s doesnt work then as if you move back to 20s at some stage another year group loses out on playing 20s when they were of the age.

Comment

I dont think it is and if you're putting resources aside for these aides then you're going to want to do it right so it'll be close to or as much as any normal year and just one side so where are many countries going to get funding for coaches and everything else for another squad of 35+ and coaching team of 8/9.

How much does it cost to fund your average under-20 team coaching team? It’s not like countries are employing Rassie Erasumus as head coach of their under 20 team. It's not exactly another new 35+ squad of players either, it's the deferral of the previous year's under-20 team, in which some financial resources will have already been put aside.

and moving to 21s doesnt work then as if you move back to 20s at some stage another year group loses out on playing 20s when they were of the age.
                        Yes, but you are at least giving every player, from the two age groups, some chance of playing an under 20 rugby World Cup. It’s not ideal, but it’s clearly better than completely cutting off one age group, from the chance of playing in an under 20 world championship.

Comment

Where are this years 20's headed:

Prop
                          Tom Clarkson(Blackrock/DUFC) - Leinster Academy Y2
                          Charlie Ward(Tullow RFC/Clontarf) - Connacht Academy Y1
                          Marcus Hanan(Clane RFC/Old Belvedere) - Leinster Academy?
                          Harry Noonan(Greystones RFC/Old Wesley)
                          Ryan McMahon(Clongowes/Old Belvedere)
                          Ciaran Ryan(Rockwell/Cashel)

Hanan may get a leinster deal, certainly expect he will be given the preseason to try and earn a spot.

Hooker
                          Tom Stewart(BRA/Ballynahinch)(u19) - Ulster Academy Y2
                          John McKee(Campbell/Old Belvedere) - Leinster Academy?
                          Bobby Sheehan(Clongowes/UCD) - Leinster Academy?

Could see both McKee and Sheehan in preseason trial for academy spot.

Lock
                          Tom Ahern(Waterpark RFC/Shannon) - Munster Academy Y3
                          Brian Deeny(Wexford RFC/Clontarf) - Leinster Academy Y2
                          Eoin O'Connor(Waterpark RFC/Young Munster) - Munster Academy Y2
                          Paddy Kelly(St. Munchins/Garryowen) - Munster Academy Y2
                          Cian Prendergast(Newbridge/UCD) - Connacht Academy Y1
                          Joe McCarthy(Blackrock/DUFC)(u19) - Leinster Academy?

Expect McCarthy to join Leinster academy.

Backrow
                          David McCann(RBAI/Banbridge) - Ulster Academy Y3
                          Josh Dunne(Exile/Galwegians) - Connacht Academy Y3
                          Sean O'Brien(Blackrock/UCD) - Leinster Academy?
                          Alex Soroka(Belvedere/DUFC)(u19) - Leinster Academy?
                          Mark Hernan(St. Michaels/Lansdowne) - Leinster Academy?
                          Anthony Ryan(Clongowes/DUFC)
                          Cian Hurley(CBC Cork/Garryowen)

Expect Hernan, SOB and Soroka to join Leinster academy. Hurley will try to get an academy place in Munster this summer.

Scrumhalf
                          Lewis Finlay(Down HS/Malone) - Ulster Academy Y1
                          Ben Murphy(Pres Bray/Clontarf)(u19)
                          Conor McKee(Sullivan Upper/Queens)(u19) - Ulster Sub Academy

Expect Murphy to return for 2nd season in sub academy.

Outhalf
                          Jack Crowley(Bandon/Cork Con) - Munster Academy Y1
                          Cathal Forde(Coláiste Iognáid/Corinthians)(u19) - Connacht Academy Y1
                          Tim Corkery(Kilkenny RFC/UCD)(u19)

Expect Corkery to return for 2nd season in sub academy.

Centre
                          Hayden Hyde(Exile/Queens) - Ulster Academy Y2
                          Dan Kelly(Exile/Leicester)(u19) - Leicester Tigers Academy
                          Luis Faria(Wanderers/DUFC)
                          Harry O'Riordan(CBC Cork/UCC)(u19)

O'Riordan missed out on Munster academy, but may join later in the year.

Back Three
                          Oran McNulty(Exile/Corinthians) - Connacht Academy Y3
                          Aaron Sexton(Down HS/Queens) - Ulster Academy Y2
                          Andrew Smith(St. Michaels/Clontarf) - Leinster Academy Y1-2
                          Ethan McIlroy(Methody/Queens) - Ulster Academy Y1
                          Diarmuid Kilgallen(Roscrea/Galwegians)
                          Niall Comerford(Blackrock/UCD)
                          Max O'Reilly(St. Gerards/DUFC)
                          Ben Moxham(Ballymena/Ballymena)(u19)

Comerford & O'Reilly may get a trial this summer for Leinster.

Comment

McNamara hopeful that Ireland under-20s will get to compete for Grand Slam

With last year's under 19s now out of school, would be interesting to see if McNamara kept with the squad that got them to that point or if he brought in a few of the very talented under 19s.
                            Last edited by Mumhain; 14-July-2020, 15:39.

Comment

McNamara hopeful that Ireland under-20s will get to compete for Grand Slam

With last year's under 19s now out of school, would be interesting to see if McNamara kept with the squad that got them to that point or if he brought in a few of the very talented under 19s.
                              if they were to finish off the 2020 6 nations you would hope they would look at more under 20s and not bring in u19s who would have the 2021 games to play.

Comment

if they were to finish off the 2020 6 nations you would hope they would look at more under 20s and not bring in u19s who would have the 2021 games to play.
                                I’d be inclined to agree with you in general, but I could also understand if McNamara did decide to bring in 1 or 2 players, if they clearly improved the chances of winning the grand slam. I’m thinking about the propping department in particular, as the scrum was under pressure for most of the tournament and outside of Clarkson, nobody made much of an impact in the loose.

Comment

Working...
                                X