Form Irish 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    I'd love to know the metrics used that had Piotr Stef Du Toit as one of the worst performing backrowers

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I can guarantee you that there were more metrics used than the one metric always used against POM I.e. the tackle count.

Interesting too that POM was better in attack than VDF.

Comment

The backrow selection comes down to what you want from a backrow.

To my mind a backrow should contain two players capable of ball carrying wide and in tight and one who is a menace at the breakdown and can get at the out outhalf. One player needs to be a competent lineout jumper also.

The two form carriers to my mind are CJ and Doris so it comes down to a choice between VDF and POM as 7.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
        Am I cynical enough to say I’d be happy enough for us to retain all our players through the 6N and have Leinster take on all comers on our behalf....
        No, i was thinking the same thing actually. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

No, i was thinking the same thing actually. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it won't happen.
          Shame, they all deserve to play ahead of any other lads.

Comment

Ahead of tomorrow's squad announcement, any predictions or wildcards for Ireland's six nations squad?

No sure if these guys are wildcard selections but Caelan Doris, Robert Baloucoune, Jamison Gibson Park and Ultan Dillane have been playing really well.

Comment

Dave Kearney will be keeping the flame alive
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
                Ahead of tomorrow's squad announcement, any predictions or wildcards for Ireland's six nations squad?

No sure if these guys are wildcard selections but Caelan Doris, Robert Baloucoune, Jamison Gibson Park and Ultan Dillane have been playing really well.
                Would Doris be more of a wildcard than Deegan? Deegan is in superb form and can play right across the backrow. I can see a role for him as a supersub if not a starter.
                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Am I cynical enough to say I’d be happy enough for us to retain all our players through the 6N and have Leinster take on all comers on our behalf....

I've been on this forum a few years now and somebody has made this point without fail every international window.

Comment

That would do so much for getting your younger players game time alright

Comment

There was a good article in one of the papers the other day on how, despite all the justified praise for the likes of Doris and Deegan, Leinster have the oldest group of over-30s among the provinces. Easy to overlook the older players because they might have slowed down a bit and might not be at their peak but they're doing an important job coaching the young lads on the pitch and helping them learn the game at the top level. Worth thinking about when people point to Billy Holland's age and say maybe he's not the young, dynamic lock you'd ideally want.

Comment

Sexton to be named Irish captain according to Irish media today. So its either a short-term appointment, paving the way for someone like Ryan, or it's a repeat of the Best story. I doubt/hope it's the latter. As for form ...
                        "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                        Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                          Sexton to be named Irish captain according to Irish media today. So its either a short-term appointment, paving the way for someone like Ryan, or it's a repeat of the Best story. I doubt/hope it's the latter. As for form ...
                          Think the over 30s thing is overblown. Loads of players have made serious contributions in their 30’s and you need a blend of youth and experience. Leinster have signed a number of class second rows in particular in their 30s who have helped either win HEC like Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines and Scott Fardy. I think focusing on someone’s age is an easier and possibly less offensive way of saying you’re just not good enough. If a guy is fit enough and in form age is irrelevant, Peter Stringer played professional rugby till he was 40.

Notwithstanding the above comments, disappointed by selection of Sexton but can understand why, hopefully its for a season and to groom a likely successor – James Ryan for me. We may well have a non-playing captain given his injury situation, would be interesting to see who is selected next. Our changes for France might not be the best if we are still relying on a 38 year Johnny Section in 4 years time. Sexton on 94 caps to date, suspect he’d want to get to 100 at least. Have read interviews where he references Tom Brady and playing till he is 40.

Comment

Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Think the over 30s thing is overblown. Loads of players have made serious contributions in their 30’s and you need a blend of youth and experience. Leinster have signed a number of class second rows in particular in their 30s who have helped either win HEC like Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines and Scott Fardy. I think focusing on someone’s age is an easier and possibly less offensive way of saying you’re just not good enough. If a guy is fit enough and in form age is irrelevant, Peter Stringer played professional rugby till he was 40.

Notwithstanding the above comments, disappointed by selection of Sexton but can understand why, hopefully its for a season and to groom a likely successor – James Ryan for me. We may well have a non-playing captain given his injury situation, would be interesting to see who is selected next. Our changes for France might not be the best if we are still relying on a 38 year Johnny Section in 4 years time. Sexton on 94 caps to date, suspect he’d want to get to 100 at least. Have read interviews where he references Tom Brady and playing till he is 40.

Brady has been sacked 500 times in a 20 year career. 20 times a year. Sexton must get hit that much in a fortnight.

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Sexton would be a disaster. He's had a poor temperament as an on field captain throughout his career, has an horrendous recent availability due to injury and a requirement for careful load management and he's 35 in a few months. He hasn't even had any form to speak of since 2018 to be in contention for a matchday position.

All of those reasons should be dealbreakers by themselves but the combination would make the selection farcical and a very worrying start for Farrell if he's going to stumble so spectacularly on the first hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Would Doris be more of a wildcard than Deegan? Deegan is in superb form and can play right across the backrow. I can see a role for him as a supersub if not a starter.
                                It's very close. I think Doris just has a little bit more power, but there should be room for both. Assuming it's a 38-man squad, there will space for at least 6 back rowers (O'Mahony, Stander, Ruddock, Van Der Flier, Doris and Deegan). O'Donoghue and Reidy deserve to be in the conversation as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X