Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Form Irish 23

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    Ross Byrne does the basics very well but I think we need players who can do more than the basics. Otherwise it's just like having another Kearney. I'm not knocking Rob Kearney but I'd prefer all the backs to have some bit of a running threat with the exception of the 9 but if the 9 has a running threat then it's a bonus.


    leinster can get by without RB being a threat but international rugby is a step up. I think Carbery is firmly in the driving seat. Ther3s a lot of talented 10s coming through. In the next season or two I think Harry Byrne and Ben Healy could become important players if they play to their potential. That's just 2 of many.


    It's also worth noting that RB plays behind a pack that dominates most games. He has plenty of time and space to pull the strings.
    So does Sexton when he plays well. He didn't win player of the year and a the double playing behind a pack getting its ass handed to it. People slagging Byrne are engaging in serious confirmation bias, looking for reasons why he isn't good and writing it off as "he plays for a good team" when he does well. Carbery does have a higher ceiling, but he can't stay fit. Hopefully he comes back at 100% and stays that way or close to it, but I'm not naive enough to think that will be the case given his short career yet lengthy injury history.
    Last edited by Finnegan79; 26th-December-2019, 03:26.

    Comment


      Originally posted by dropkick View Post
      Ross Byrne does the basics very well but I think we need players who can do more than the basics. Otherwise it's just like having another Kearney. I'm not knocking Rob Kearney but I'd prefer all the backs to have some bit of a running threat with the exception of the 9 but if the 9 has a running threat then it's a bonus.


      leinster can get by without RB being a threat but international rugby is a step up. I think Carbery is firmly in the driving seat. Ther3s a lot of talented 10s coming through. In the next season or two I think Harry Byrne and Ben Healy could become important players if they play to their potential. That's just 2 of many.


      It's also worth noting that RB plays behind a pack that dominates most games. He has plenty of time and space to pull the strings.
      Considering that most people on here believe that Killer, Scannell, POM, CJ, Beirne should be in the ireland 15/23 ahead of members of the Leinster pack surely you cant be claiming the Leinster pack is that much superior that t gives Ross Byrne an easy ride?

      Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

      Comment


        Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
        Considering that most people on here believe that Killer, Scannell, POM, CJ, Beirne should be in the ireland 15/23 ahead of members of the Leinster pack surely you cant be claiming the Leinster pack is that much superior that t gives Ross Byrne an easy ride?

        Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
        You’re right. It’s more the quality of opposition like Lyon that do that.

        Comment


          Originally posted by ustix View Post
          There was a strong and instantaneous response to the rise of Buccaneers in the AIL years ago. Should but can't remember who it was that amalgamated with Athlone to make it happen
          They joined with Ballinasloe. Good for a period of time but imho didn’t work .
          When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

          Comment


            Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

            You’re right. It’s more the quality of opposition like Lyon that do that.
            Still think it's the quality of opposition?

            Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

            Comment




              Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
              If we were picking a form 23 for the Irish team to start the 6Nations how would it look and how will it change over the next few weeks.

              My form team would be -
              Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, VDF, CJ, Cooney, JJ, Conway, McCloskey, Farrell, Earls, Larmour - Buckley, Herring, Furlong, Toner, Jordi, Blade, Sexton, Haley/Scannell
              Some changes required based on injury/performance.

              Healy, Herring, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, CJ, VDF, Doris, Cooney, Byrne, Stockdale, McCloskey, Ringrose, Conway, Larmour - Killer, Scannell, Furlong, Toner, Connors, Blade, Carberry, Scanell

              Kelleher/Sexton missing due to injury

              Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

              Comment


                Dave Kearney ahead of Earls after this weekend
                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

                Comment


                  https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStand...29726409125888

                  Interesting chart on backrows during the world cup that measured defence and attack. POM was the second best defensive backrow in the tournament according to the numbers.

                  Comment


                    But, but ... what about all the ineffectiveness we keep hearing about?
                    Tis but a scratch.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      But, but ... what about all the ineffectiveness we keep hearing about?
                      There's a pattern whenever some good Leinster back row emerges: the usual suspects start saying that whichever Munster player is starting for Ireland in said position is not in form and must be replaced immediately. Evidence doesn't really come into it.

                      After CJ repeatedly made a mockery of such claims about his form, they've moved on to POM.

                      Comment


                        POM, CJ and Murray have played reasonably well in the past six months, there's a lot of agendas at work recently to desperately try and insist otherwise.

                        What's surprising (or maybe it shouldn't be) is the lack of focus on the form of Tadhg Furlong, did nobody notice his missed tackle stats against New Zealand or his scrum performance against Japan?

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

                          There's a pattern whenever some good Leinster back row emerges: the usual suspects start saying that whichever Munster player is starting for Ireland in said position is not in form and must be replaced immediately. Evidence doesn't really come into it.

                          After CJ repeatedly made a mockery of such claims about his form, they've moved on to POM.
                          Backrow selection for the 6N will be interesting and competitive. In the absence of Leavy, VdF is nailed on at openside - he gets better and better.
                          You would probably bet the old guard of POM/Stander for the other two slots. But Deegan is playing some great stuff at Leinster. He's a tremendous athlete with speed, hands and footwork as well as being able to handle the gruntwork. He can also cover the whole backrow and would probably be the perfect bencher, if he does not force his way into the starting XV.
                          Ruddock is a powerful big lump of a blindside, rarely has a bad game and seems to have some leadership qualities. But he does not have POMs priceless lineout nicking skills.
                          At Munster JOD has really played himself to the fore and could well make the next Ireland training squad. He deserves it on current form.
                          Doris may also challenge with some game time under his belt.
                          Erse end of nowhere

                          Comment


                            Am I cynical enough to say I’d be happy enough for us to retain all our players through the 6N and have Leinster take on all comers on our behalf....

                            Comment


                              Killer, Scannell(probable), Kleyn, Peter, CJ, Jacko (possible), Conor, JJ(longshot), Chris Farrell(possible), Keith and Andy to be in Camp Ireland imo.
                              On merit and because quotas will be at play.

                              Gwan Joe!!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by dropkick View Post
                                https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStand...29726409125888

                                Interesting chart on backrows during the world cup that measured defence and attack. POM was the second best defensive backrow in the tournament according to the numbers.
                                I'd love to know the metrics used that had Piotr Stef Du Toit as one of the worst performing backrowers

                                Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X