Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whimpersnap
    replied
    There was a good article in one of the papers the other day on how, despite all the justified praise for the likes of Doris and Deegan, Leinster have the oldest group of over-30s among the provinces. Easy to overlook the older players because they might have slowed down a bit and might not be at their peak but they're doing an important job coaching the young lads on the pitch and helping them learn the game at the top level. Worth thinking about when people point to Billy Holland's age and say maybe he's not the young, dynamic lock you'd ideally want.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
    Am I cynical enough to say I’d be happy enough for us to retain all our players through the 6N and have Leinster take on all comers on our behalf....
    That would do so much for getting your younger players game time alright

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Am I cynical enough to say I’d be happy enough for us to retain all our players through the 6N and have Leinster take on all comers on our behalf....

I've been on this forum a few years now and somebody has made this point without fail every international window.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Mumhain View Post
    Ahead of tomorrow's squad announcement, any predictions or wildcards for Ireland's six nations squad?

No sure if these guys are wildcard selections but Caelan Doris, Robert Baloucoune, Jamison Gibson Park and Ultan Dillane have been playing really well.
    Would Doris be more of a wildcard than Deegan? Deegan is in superb form and can play right across the backrow. I can see a role for him as a supersub if not a starter.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Dave Kearney will be keeping the flame alive

Leave a comment:

• Mumhain
    replied
    Ahead of tomorrow's squad announcement, any predictions or wildcards for Ireland's six nations squad?

No sure if these guys are wildcard selections but Caelan Doris, Robert Baloucoune, Jamison Gibson Park and Ultan Dillane have been playing really well.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

No, i was thinking the same thing actually. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it won't happen.
    Shame, they all deserve to play ahead of any other lads.

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    No, i was thinking the same thing actually. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but it won't happen.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    The backrow selection comes down to what you want from a backrow.

To my mind a backrow should contain two players capable of ball carrying wide and in tight and one who is a menace at the breakdown and can get at the out outhalf. One player needs to be a competent lineout jumper also.

The two form carriers to my mind are CJ and Doris so it comes down to a choice between VDF and POM as 7.

Leave a comment:

• dropkick
    replied
    Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
    I'd love to know the metrics used that had Piotr Stef Du Toit as one of the worst performing backrowers

I can guarantee you that there were more metrics used than the one metric always used against POM I.e. the tackle count.

Interesting too that POM was better in attack than VDF.

Leave a comment:

• In Joe we trust
    replied
    Originally posted by dropkick View Post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/SamLStand...29726409125888

Interesting chart on backrows during the world cup that measured defence and attack. POM was the second best defensive backrow in the tournament according to the numbers.
    I'd love to know the metrics used that had Piotr Stef Du Toit as one of the worst performing backrowers

Leave a comment:

• ustix
    replied
    Killer, Scannell(probable), Kleyn, Peter, CJ, Jacko (possible), Conor, JJ(longshot), Chris Farrell(possible), Keith and Andy to be in Camp Ireland imo.
    On merit and because quotas will be at play.

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

There's a pattern whenever some good Leinster back row emerges: the usual suspects start saying that whichever Munster player is starting for Ireland in said position is not in form and must be replaced immediately. Evidence doesn't really come into it.

After CJ repeatedly made a mockery of such claims about his form, they've moved on to POM.
    Backrow selection for the 6N will be interesting and competitive. In the absence of Leavy, VdF is nailed on at openside - he gets better and better.
    You would probably bet the old guard of POM/Stander for the other two slots. But Deegan is playing some great stuff at Leinster. He's a tremendous athlete with speed, hands and footwork as well as being able to handle the gruntwork. He can also cover the whole backrow and would probably be the perfect bencher, if he does not force his way into the starting XV.
    Ruddock is a powerful big lump of a blindside, rarely has a bad game and seems to have some leadership qualities. But he does not have POMs priceless lineout nicking skills.
    At Munster JOD has really played himself to the fore and could well make the next Ireland training squad. He deserves it on current form.
    Doris may also challenge with some game time under his belt.

Leave a comment:

• Dowlinz
    replied
    POM, CJ and Murray have played reasonably well in the past six months, there's a lot of agendas at work recently to desperately try and insist otherwise.

What's surprising (or maybe it shouldn't be) is the lack of focus on the form of Tadhg Furlong, did nobody notice his missed tackle stats against New Zealand or his scrum performance against Japan?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X