No announcement yet.

Form Irish 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to understand Carty falling so far back, so quickly. Behind Billy Burns a real kick in the teeth
    And several injured guys in there so I wonder what the story is re John Ryan (Beirnes injury looked pretty bad so he may be out for a while)

Comment

Not selecting Kearney is a disgrace. He is dependable under the high ball and also organised the defence very ably. Not a good start to the new regime IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
        Not selecting Kearney is a disgrace. He is dependable under the high ball and also organised the defence very ably. Not a good start to the new regime IMHO.
        And who’ll take the minutes at the team meetings from now on? He has wonderfully neat handwriting. Nobody else can do what he does with a ballpoint.

Comment

The press are pushing mad for Larmour based on his dancing feet. Conway is a better all round player.
          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
            Are you for real? The lad has been around since 2008, Paul sackey and Mark Cueto were playing back then ffs. It’s time to move on, it’s wonderful news Rob is gone, he’s not the best FB anymore and it’s time to move forward and build a new young team. It speaks volumes about Joe that a bloke who was starting for him can’t get in a 45 man squad. Sexton should retire also, he’s crocked.
            \"Only Pienaar, Botha and Ferris would be in contention for a place on our first 15. That\'s a fact.\" - Tickettout\'s take on Ulster April 2011.

Comment

What's the score with Ryan? Are some of the omissions based on injury? Surprised by Carty, Ryan and Murphy. Especially as there's no particular pressure to limit numbers from what I can see.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                What's the score with Ryan? Are some of the omissions based on injury? Surprised by Carty, Ryan and Murphy. Especially as there's no particular pressure to limit numbers from what I can see.
                Ryan was injured on Saturday, and I think I heard that JVG said it was serious ?

EDIT: Calf strain according to today's IT.
                Last edited by blackwarrior; 17th-December-2019, 09:08.
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post

Ryan was injured on Saturday, and I think I heard that JVG said it was serious ?

EDIT: Calf strain according to today's IT.

Yeah, I'd seen re: the calf. Carbery is in, Leavy is out. I guess at least some of these are fitness related then.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                    The press are pushing mad for Larmour based on his dancing feet. Conway is a better all round player.
                    See them all the time in underage rugby, dancing across the pitch, never running straight, dying with the ball...
                    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Talking Sense View Post

Are you for real?
                      I think he's not ...
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
                        It's more than his dancing feet. Larmour's total FB game has really progressed this season, particularly positionally, he's good under the high ball, his defence has improved, he is physical. But most of all his offloading - he is becoming much more of a playmaker, a creator of space and opportunity for teammates. Conway is pretty special too, and can frequently conjure up a score out of nothing.
                        At present, I'd have both players as form starters in the Ireland XV, with Larmour at FB and Conway on the wing, though they are practically interchangeable in those positions, with the ability to run great midfield lines. Conway is probably the out-and-out faster in a straight line but not a lot in it.
                        A word for Rob Kearney. He has had a long and distinguished career. Peaked a few a few years ago, but recently not so effective. At the top of his form he was an outstanding world class FB and will be remembered as one of the best. Fair play to him and all the best.
                        Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

It's more than his dancing feet. Larmour's total FB game has really progressed this season, particularly positionally, he's good under the high ball, his defence has improved, he is physical. But most of all his offloading - he is becoming much more of a playmaker, a creator of space and opportunity for teammates. Conway is pretty special too, and can frequently conjure up a score out of nothing.
                          At present, I'd have both players as form starters in the Ireland XV, with Larmour at FB and Conway on the wing, though they are practically interchangeable in those positions, with the ability to run great midfield lines. Conway is probably the out-and-out faster in a straight line but not a lot in it.
                          A word for Rob Kearney. He has had a long and distinguished career. Peaked a few a few years ago, but recently not so effective. At the top of his form he was an outstanding world class FB and will be remembered as one of the best. Fair play to him and all the best.
                          Larmour has been playing 15, he has more than earned his shot; as has Conway on the wing with his play as of late, as has Earls. The guy who gets dropped out of the starting XV is Stockdale until he tightens up his defense. That is what separates them from him right now; he makes glaring mistakes in bad spots on the pitch. But hey, form is fluid; in 12-18 months time, he could be playing spectacular rugby and one of the other guys could be in a bad patch of form. What will Farrell do then ? Does he reward current form or does he stick with the guys he initially had penciled in ?

As for Kearney, it would be nice to get him 100 caps to finish off his career, but it is unlikely to happen unless he can somehow unseat Larmour, but I don;t see that occurring.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

I think he's not ...
                            You are right. But to be fair we need to find a way to provide a dignified end of an International career to players like RK.

The GAA honouring past teams at half time could be a good model to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

In my opinion, Rob Kearney peaked on the Lions Tour of South Africa at which time he was, as you say, "an outstanding world class FB"

No one can take that away from him, but that was in 2009 and since then, he has never reached those heights and while he played well in individual games, such as the Grand Slam game in Twickenham, his race is run, and has been for some time, as far as I'm concerned, at international level.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

Larmour has been playing 15, he has more than earned his shot; as has Conway on the wing with his play as of late, as has Earls. The guy who gets dropped out of the starting XV is Stockdale until he tightens up his defense. That is what separates them from him right now; he makes glaring mistakes in bad spots on the pitch. But hey, form is fluid; in 12-18 months time, he could be playing spectacular rugby and one of the other guys could be in a bad patch of form. What will Farrell do then ? Does he reward current form or does he stick with the guys he initially had penciled in ?

As for Kearney, it would be nice to get him 100 caps to finish off his career, but it is unlikely to happen unless he can somehow unseat Larmour, but I don;t see that occurring.
                                I don't think Kearney (93 caps) will make the ton. Sad, but there it is. He has not been playing that well. These things happen. DOC (94 caps) and Peter Stringer (98) were just as deserving, and probably not so much out of form as Rob when they were dropped. I feel that he's had a few soft ones at the end of his career to expand the total.
                                Agree that Stockdale needs to play himself back to form to gain automatic selection.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X