Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ustix
    replied
    I don't like your post Daithi but I agree with it.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by offshorerules View Post

I think you made a valid point in the first paragraph but then to use your word, a stupid point in the second paragraph. POM and Stander are by no means certainties for selection and Ryan is injured and will miss at least 2 of the 5 matches. Sexton on the other hand is due to be fit and a certainty for selection. So other than Sexton, whose temperament is questionable, which nailed on starter would you have picked and how much experience of captaining their club side do they have?
    as I said, I'd have gone with one of POM or Stander, depending on the back row he wants to play, which he should know by now.

For me POM is the stand out captain. I think POM is playing well actually, and has captained his club, country and the British & Irish Lions at test level previously, and is a vastly experienced warrior who inspires with his work and selflessness. He could be a really good captain for this year, while young Ryan recovers and apprentices in.

Sexton won't be imho, sorry.
    Last edited by Daithi; 16-January-2020, 14:30.

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    I am very comfortable with the choice of Sexton as captain as clearly it can't be a long-term appointment at his age. So long as someone like Ryan is ready in a year or so to bring us to 2023, that seems fine to me.

Leave a comment:

• offshorerules
    replied
    Originally posted by Daithi View Post

This, and the fact that he does not have the temperment of a good captain. He's far too tetchy, volatile and prima donna like to be a good captain. Also 10s rarely make good captains, they already have enough to be getting on with.

I'm disappointed with Farrell on this, it's a regressive, stupid, selection imho. I'd have gone with POM, Stander or maybe Ryan. Sexton would be fine as a vice captain maybe (there should be 3 of them IMHO).
    I think you made a valid point in the first paragraph but then to use your word, a stupid point in the second paragraph. POM and Stander are by no means certainties for selection and Ryan is injured and will miss at least 2 of the 5 matches. Sexton on the other hand is due to be fit and a certainty for selection. So other than Sexton, whose temperament is questionable, which nailed on starter would you have picked and how much experience of captaining their club side do they have?

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post

World player of the year . A quality 10

ya they do get more leeway than others . Sure It’s not like it’s the same injury .
    But he shouldn't at this point. In 2019 it was understandable, but not now. He has been nowhere near his best and injured off and on for over a year now.

Leave a comment:

• Miguel Sanchez
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post

In 2018. His time has been and gone. He will be hunted without mercy.

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I'm disappointed in this tbh; at some point the addiction to johnny sexton has to be broken. This is the natural point at which to do it. He is essentially a part timer at Leinster, barely playing anything except the biggest matches. He came back from japan, was playing pretty well, but went back on the sidelines again. They can't keep having a guy like that as your first choice 10. Two years in a row he is going to be parachuted in after a long layoff. The guy has to be playing consistently at Pro14 and European to justify selection imo. It will damage team morale, even if he has had a great career. Other players will think its total bull**** that they'd never get that much leeway to essentially be an Ireland player who occasionally turns up for their province.
    This, and the fact that he does not have the temperment of a good captain. He's far too tetchy, volatile and prima donna like to be a good captain. Also 10s rarely make good captains, especially place kicking ones, they already have more than enough to be getting on with.

I'm disappointed with Farrell on this, it's a regressive, stupid, selection imho. I'd have gone with POM, Stander or maybe Ryan. Sexton would be fine as a vice captain maybe (there should be 3/4 of them IMHO).
    Last edited by Daithi; 16-January-2020, 18:44.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I'm disappointed in this tbh; at some point the addiction to johnny sexton has to be broken. This is the natural point at which to do it. He is essentially a part timer at Leinster, barely playing anything except the biggest matches. He came back from japan, was playing pretty well, but went back on the sidelines again. They can't keep having a guy like that as your first choice 10. Two years in a row he is going to be parachuted in after a long layoff. The guy has to be playing consistently at Pro14 and European to justify selection imo. It will damage team morale, even if he has had a great career. Other players will think its total bull**** that they'd never get that much leeway to essentially be an Ireland player who occasionally turns up for their province.

ya they do get more leeway than others . Sure It’s not like it’s the same injury .

Leave a comment:

• Finnegan79
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    Sexton to be named Irish captain according to Irish media today. So its either a short-term appointment, paving the way for someone like Ryan, or it's a repeat of the Best story. I doubt/hope it's the latter. As for form ...

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    I'm trying to find a link on the Irish rugby website, or youtube, no dice...
    anyone know if they will be broadcasting the squad announcement?

Leave a comment:

• Mumhain
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Would Doris be more of a wildcard than Deegan? Deegan is in superb form and can play right across the backrow. I can see a role for him as a supersub if not a starter.
    It's very close. I think Doris just has a little bit more power, but there should be room for both. Assuming it's a 38-man squad, there will space for at least 6 back rowers (O'Mahony, Stander, Ruddock, Van Der Flier, Doris and Deegan). O'Donoghue and Reidy deserve to be in the conversation as well.

Leave a comment:

• Dowlinz
    replied
    Sexton would be a disaster. He's had a poor temperament as an on field captain throughout his career, has an horrendous recent availability due to injury and a requirement for careful load management and he's 35 in a few months. He hasn't even had any form to speak of since 2018 to be in contention for a matchday position.

All of those reasons should be dealbreakers by themselves but the combination would make the selection farcical and a very worrying start for Farrell if he's going to stumble so spectacularly on the first hurdle.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by LongtimeLurker View Post

Think the over 30s thing is overblown. Loads of players have made serious contributions in their 30’s and you need a blend of youth and experience. Leinster have signed a number of class second rows in particular in their 30s who have helped either win HEC like Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines and Scott Fardy. I think focusing on someone’s age is an easier and possibly less offensive way of saying you’re just not good enough. If a guy is fit enough and in form age is irrelevant, Peter Stringer played professional rugby till he was 40.

Notwithstanding the above comments, disappointed by selection of Sexton but can understand why, hopefully its for a season and to groom a likely successor – James Ryan for me. We may well have a non-playing captain given his injury situation, would be interesting to see who is selected next. Our changes for France might not be the best if we are still relying on a 38 year Johnny Section in 4 years time. Sexton on 94 caps to date, suspect he’d want to get to 100 at least. Have read interviews where he references Tom Brady and playing till he is 40.

Brady has been sacked 500 times in a 20 year career. 20 times a year. Sexton must get hit that much in a fortnight.

Leave a comment:

• LongtimeLurker
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    Sexton to be named Irish captain according to Irish media today. So its either a short-term appointment, paving the way for someone like Ryan, or it's a repeat of the Best story. I doubt/hope it's the latter. As for form ...
    Think the over 30s thing is overblown. Loads of players have made serious contributions in their 30’s and you need a blend of youth and experience. Leinster have signed a number of class second rows in particular in their 30s who have helped either win HEC like Brad Thorn, Nathan Hines and Scott Fardy. I think focusing on someone’s age is an easier and possibly less offensive way of saying you’re just not good enough. If a guy is fit enough and in form age is irrelevant, Peter Stringer played professional rugby till he was 40.

Notwithstanding the above comments, disappointed by selection of Sexton but can understand why, hopefully its for a season and to groom a likely successor – James Ryan for me. We may well have a non-playing captain given his injury situation, would be interesting to see who is selected next. Our changes for France might not be the best if we are still relying on a 38 year Johnny Section in 4 years time. Sexton on 94 caps to date, suspect he’d want to get to 100 at least. Have read interviews where he references Tom Brady and playing till he is 40.

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X