No announcement yet.

Form Irish 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea I get it now. I suppose it would make no real difference if the margin was small but in the instance I mentioned it was huge and undeniable. I think most of us on here would relish a match of a full ulster v Connacht in a (relatively) neutral Aviva to see who the better side was for example. The same said about Munster v ulster, Leinster v ulster, Leinster v Munster etc. Certainly the disappointment around the selections over Christmas was palpable. If you want to settle the debate over cj, Pom, and jod vs Doris, Deegan and vdf let them play each other and 5hen let’s see the result. If you still have a problem with one selection or another fine but at least we have some rationale to the decision.
    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
      Yea I get it now. I suppose it would make no real difference if the margin was small but in the instance I mentioned it was huge and undeniable. I think most of us on here would relish a match of a full ulster v Connacht in a (relatively) neutral Aviva to see who the better side was for example. The same said about Munster v ulster, Leinster v ulster, Leinster v Munster etc. Certainly the disappointment around the selections over Christmas was palpable. If you want to settle the debate over cj, Pom, and jod vs Doris, Deegan and vdf let them play each other and 5hen let’s see the result. If you still have a problem with one selection or another fine but at least we have some rationale to the decision.
      Was the pro 14 semifinal last year not a valid indicator prior to the RWC for example of that type of game and yet it settled nothing

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Farrel used be involved some odd selections with England, but one things for sure, he will want to win the game against England more than any of you, just to prove a point lol.
        Last edited by tigerburnie; 18th-January-2020, 10:26.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerburnie View Post
          Farrel used be involved some odd selections with England, but one things for sure, he will want to win the game against England more than any of you, just to prove a point lol.
          I like Farrell, I think he's a class act and has handled himself very well in the Irish set up and with the media since arriving here.

However, whether he is the right head coach to revitalise team Ireland's fate, after being such a big part of the ultimately failing previous regime, is an entirely different question...

I have my doubts tbh, but look im prepared to give him & his coaching set up the benefit of doubt for now. And certainly if his Irish team can get 3.5 to 4 wins from 5 in this year's 6 nations, then I'm happy.

Anything less than 3.5 wins (I.e. 3Ws & a draw) is meh.

Anything less than 3 wins is crap....

What do folks here think Ireland's likely 6Ns outcome is likely to be!?!

P s. I'll be at the home games as usual , as fervent and passionate about supporting Ireland as always.
          Last edited by Daithi; 18th-January-2020, 12:38.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

The big positive from that display is Cooney and Baloucoune's form. Cooney's box-kicking was Murray-esque. In a game where his pack were mostly on the back-foot, his passing and speed off the base were also excellent. For me, he's the best player in European rugby at the moment and has to be the first name on the Ireland team-sheet.

There is no way Herring can start for Ireland after that performance. Very poor throwing performance. On three occasions Ulster had line-outs, which were around 10 meters out and were completed messed up by Herring's throw. On the first occasion Herring was done for not throwing straight. Given that Bath didn't even compete for the line-out in question, this is fairly unacceptable. The other two were under-throws and over-throws. I'm a big fan of Herring's work-rate around the pitch, but the reality is, if Ireland's line-out is as poor as Ulster's today, we aren't going to win too many matches against the top teams in the six nations.

Ulster's scrummaging performance will also be a big worry for Ireland, moving forward. O'Toole and McGrath got well beaten by two English props, that won't be anywhere near starting for England.
            Last edited by Mumhain; 18th-January-2020, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

I like Farrell, I think he's a class act and has handled himself very well in the Irish set up and with the media since arriving here.

However, whether he is the right head coach to revitalise team Ireland's fate, after being such a big part of the ultimately failing previous regime, is an entirely different question...

I have my doubts tbh, but look im prepared to give him & his coaching set up the benefit of doubt for now. And certainly if his Irish team can get 3.5 to 4 wins from 5 in this year's 6 nations, then I'm happy.

Anything less than 3.5 wins (I.e. 3Ws & a draw) is meh.

Anything less than 3 wins is crap....

What do folks here think Ireland's likely 6Ns outcome is likely to be!?!

P s. I'll be at the home games as usual , as fervent and passionate about supporting Ireland as always.
              I believe we'll lose to Angleterre and beat the rest finishing 2nd to an Eddie Slam
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

McCloskey has to start v Scotland
                Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Things is the Saracens thing could have a negative effect, not sure where Fazlet and co will have their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

I believe we'll lose to Angleterre and beat the rest finishing 2nd to an Eddie Slam
                    Not a chance. We will also lose to France, at least.

Comment

Mystic Meg time.

p.s. I've no idea of future results.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

I don't think the captaincy selection is particularly important. It's just five games and Sexton will likely play them all, or the four proper ones at least. Can re-assess once they're out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                          McCloskey has to start v Scotland
                          Poor old McCloskey doesn't even have his foot in the door. He is not in the squad so he won't be picked. Form seems to count for nothing. Meanwhile, Henshaw was yet again almost invisible for Leinster against Benneton. He is a one dimensional carthorse who is living on reputation. Don't even know why he is still starting for Leinster with talented kids like the three O'Briens around, especially Conor who is a big, strong 12 with power, adequate pace and some skills. He can do everything Henshaw can but better.

Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Poor old McCloskey doesn't even have his foot in the door. He is not in the squad so he won't be picked. Form seems to count for nothing. Meanwhile, Henshaw was yet again almost invisible for Leinster against Benneton. He is a one dimensional carthorse who is living on reputation. Don't even know why he is still starting for Leinster with talented kids like the three O'Briens around, especially Conor who is a big, strong 12 with power, adequate pace and some skills. He can do everything Henshaw can but better.
                            Robbie was ruined by the move to 12. An exciting and dangerous 13/15 shoehorned into a position he had neither the skills nor the kicking game to play really well, simply because Ringrose had been anointed BOD’s successor. He’s defensively sound (which was about 80% of the job in Joe’s view) but very one-dimensional.

If there’s one thing I want to see absolutely dead and buried in Irish rugby, it’s the idea of a fixed first XV with the “best” players shuffled into different positions (and even between provinces) so they’re not competing with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Robbie was ruined by the move to 12. An exciting and dangerous 13/15 shoehorned into a position he had neither the skills nor the kicking game to play really well, simply because Ringrose had been anointed BOD’s successor. He’s defensively sound (which was about 80% of the job in Joe’s view) but very one-dimensional.

If there’s one thing I want to see absolutely dead and buried in Irish rugby, it’s the idea of a fixed first XV with the “best” players shuffled into different positions (and even between provinces) so they’re not competing with each other.
                              Agree that Henshaw was better as a 15/13, but even if he had stayed in either of thse slots, he just does not seem to have the pace for international rugby. He is a good honest grafter who always gives 100% but Ireland could do better. There seem to be very few footballing/playmaking 12s around these days. McClosky is not really one, but he has shown some variation in his game and good distribution skills lately.
                              Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post

Agree that Henshaw was better as a 15/13, but even if he had stayed in either of thse slots, he just does not seem to have the pace for international rugby. He is a good honest grafter who always gives 100% but Ireland could do better. There seem to be very few footballing/playmaking 12s around these days. McClosky is not really one, but he has shown some variation in his game and good distribution skills lately.
                                He used to have the pace but they did a D’Arcy on him and bulked him up to become a crash ball option. I’d say a few injuries took their toll too.

That said, he looked fairly lean and lively at 13 in that RWC warm up before he got crocked again.

Comment

Working...
                                X