No announcement yet.

Form Irish 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying to find a link on the Irish rugby website, or youtube, no dice...
    anyone know if they will be broadcasting the squad announcement?
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
      Sexton to be named Irish captain according to Irish media today. So its either a short-term appointment, paving the way for someone like Ryan, or it's a repeat of the Best story. I doubt/hope it's the latter. As for form ...
      I'm disappointed in this tbh; at some point the addiction to johnny sexton has to be broken. This is the natural point at which to do it. He is essentially a part timer at Leinster, barely playing anything except the biggest matches. He came back from japan, was playing pretty well, but went back on the sidelines again. They can't keep having a guy like that as your first choice 10. Two years in a row he is going to be parachuted in after a long layoff. The guy has to be playing consistently at Pro14 and European to justify selection imo. It will damage team morale, even if he has had a great career. Other players will think its total bull**** that they'd never get that much leeway to essentially be an Ireland player who occasionally turns up for their province.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

I'm disappointed in this tbh; at some point the addiction to johnny sexton has to be broken. This is the natural point at which to do it. He is essentially a part timer at Leinster, barely playing anything except the biggest matches. He came back from japan, was playing pretty well, but went back on the sidelines again. They can't keep having a guy like that as your first choice 10. Two years in a row he is going to be parachuted in after a long layoff. The guy has to be playing consistently at Pro14 and European to justify selection imo. It will damage team morale, even if he has had a great career. Other players will think its total bull**** that they'd never get that much leeway to essentially be an Ireland player who occasionally turns up for their province.
        World player of the year . A quality 10

ya they do get more leeway than others . Sure It’s not like it’s the same injury .

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

This, and the fact that he does not have the temperment of a good captain. He's far too tetchy, volatile and prima donna like to be a good captain. Also 10s rarely make good captains, especially place kicking ones, they already have more than enough to be getting on with.

I'm disappointed with Farrell on this, it's a regressive, stupid, selection imho. I'd have gone with POM, Stander or maybe Ryan. Sexton would be fine as a vice captain maybe (there should be 3/4 of them IMHO).
          Last edited by Daithi; 16-January-2020, 18:44.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post

In 2018. His time has been and gone. He will be hunted without mercy.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post

ya they do get more leeway than others . Sure It’s not like it’s the same injury .
              But he shouldn't at this point. In 2019 it was understandable, but not now. He has been nowhere near his best and injured off and on for over a year now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

This, and the fact that he does not have the temperment of a good captain. He's far too tetchy, volatile and prima donna like to be a good captain. Also 10s rarely make good captains, they already have enough to be getting on with.

I'm disappointed with Farrell on this, it's a regressive, stupid, selection imho. I'd have gone with POM, Stander or maybe Ryan. Sexton would be fine as a vice captain maybe (there should be 3 of them IMHO).
                I think you made a valid point in the first paragraph but then to use your word, a stupid point in the second paragraph. POM and Stander are by no means certainties for selection and Ryan is injured and will miss at least 2 of the 5 matches. Sexton on the other hand is due to be fit and a certainty for selection. So other than Sexton, whose temperament is questionable, which nailed on starter would you have picked and how much experience of captaining their club side do they have?
                "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

I am very comfortable with the choice of Sexton as captain as clearly it can't be a long-term appointment at his age. So long as someone like Ryan is ready in a year or so to bring us to 2023, that seems fine to me.
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post

I think you made a valid point in the first paragraph but then to use your word, a stupid point in the second paragraph. POM and Stander are by no means certainties for selection and Ryan is injured and will miss at least 2 of the 5 matches. Sexton on the other hand is due to be fit and a certainty for selection. So other than Sexton, whose temperament is questionable, which nailed on starter would you have picked and how much experience of captaining their club side do they have?
                    as I said, I'd have gone with one of POM or Stander, depending on the back row he wants to play, which he should know by now.

For me POM is the stand out captain. I think POM is playing well actually, and has captained his club, country and the British & Irish Lions at test level previously, and is a vastly experienced warrior who inspires with his work and selflessness. He could be a really good captain for this year, while young Ryan recovers and apprentices in.

Sexton won't be imho, sorry.
                    Last edited by Daithi; 16-January-2020, 14:30.

Comment

I don't like your post Daithi but I agree with it.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post

as I said, I'd have gone with one of POM or Stander, depending on the back row he wants to play, which he should know by now.

For me POM is the stand out captain. I think POM is playing well actually, and has captained his club, country and the British & Irish Lions at test level previously, and is a vastly experienced warrior who inspires with his work and selflessness. He could be a really good captain for this year, while young Ryan recovers and apprentices in.

Sexton won't be imho, sorry.
                        No need to apologise, its a reasonable opinion. The problem remains that POM is not necessarily first choice for his position. I would have no problem with him being selected as captain last year for example and I have always been a big fan of his but I'm guessing, and that's all it is, a guess, that Farrell may have reservations about selecting him this year based on his performances and those of his peers. We will see soon enough I suppose but my second guess would be that CJ will stay in the backrow somewhere (either 6 or 8) and either Doris or Deegan will be introduced. I would think VdF is nailed on to start but if Leavy were fit I'd have him ahead of Josh.
                        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

No need to apologise, its a reasonable opinion. The problem remains that POM is not necessarily first choice for his position. I would have no problem with him being selected as captain last year for example and I have always been a big fan of his but I'm guessing, and that's all it is, a guess, that Farrell may have reservations about selecting him this year based on his performances and those of his peers. We will see soon enough I suppose but my second guess would be that CJ will stay in the backrow somewhere (either 6 or 8) and either Doris or Deegan will be introduced. I would think VdF is nailed on to start but if Leavy were fit I'd have him ahead of Josh.
                          What difference would it make if you did have a problem with any selection?
                          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

Sorry, I might be being thick but I don't understand your question.

Comment

Need to correct myself here. Ryan is apparently fit and going to play against Beneton this weekend. A bit if a gamechanger for me.

Comment

Sorry, I might be being thick but I don't understand your question.
                                Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

I've re posted MS' post above for you, so you might better understand it. I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X