Form Irish 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form Irish 23

If we were picking a form 23 for the Irish team to start the 6Nations how would it look and how will it change over the next few weeks.

My form team would be -
    Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, VDF, CJ, Cooney, JJ, Conway, McCloskey, Farrell, Earls, Larmour - Buckley, Herring, Furlong, Toner, Jordi, Blade, Sexton, Haley/Scannell

Your putting JJ ahead of sexton makes it way to obvious. Nobodys gonna bite. Must try harder.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
      If we were picking a form 23 for the Irish team to start the 6Nations how would it look and how will it change over the next few weeks.

My form team would be -
      Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Ryan, Henderson, Ruddock, VDF, CJ, Cooney, JJ, Conway, McCloskey, Farrell, Earls, Larmour - Buckley, Herring, Furlong, Toner, Jordi, Blade, Sexton, Haley/Scannell
      Not sure I’d start Ruddock or JJ.

Agree McCloskey and Farrell are both going well but don’t know if I’d pair them.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
        Your putting JJ ahead of sexton makes it way to obvious. Nobodys gonna bite. Must try harder.
        We need to accept the evidence of our eyes - the Sexton era is over. He would be ahead of JJ and co for one more 6 Nations but when do we start to rebuild, if not now? Unless Murray can shake himself our of his inexplicable torpor, his era is over also. Joey out indefinetely one assumes, Carty and Ross Byrne other options at 10, and we need to look more widely.Tadhg Beirne very disappointing form. Would love to see players like Penny, Baird, F Wycherley, Jack O'Sullivan, Brian Byrne (prop), Healy,Billjo, Tom Farrell, Hugh O'Sullivan and other players of youthful promise at Camp Farrell, and being encouraged to strive for excellence. Our younger lads are something special, in all provinces. Hopefully Rhys Marshall is fit and IQ soon.

JJ is benefiting hugely from regular gametime and consistent fitness, and he is only 27. IMO Cooney far and away the top 9 in Ireland right now. Toner is on the cusp of being yesterdays man, and should be only considered in an emergency.
        Last edited by isola ciarrai; 8th-December-2019, 20:49.

Comment

Form wise JJ has been the best 10 in the provinces (and with Cooney kicking) it makes it a lot easier to pick him....He will need to prove away to Saracens/Racing that he can perform though at International level.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

Form wise JJ has been the best 10 in the provinces (and with Cooney kicking) it makes it a lot easier to pick him....He will need to prove away to Saracens/Racing that he can perform though at International level.
            Yeah, a bit of rugby to be played between now and the 6Ns, which will test the claims of lads like JJ and Kelleher.

Plenty of quality young players coming through around the place. Farrell has plenty to work with if he’s looking to build for the long term.

Comment

Not sure how he went today but Conor Fitz has been in flying form
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Carty was poor enough, giving away an intercept try and kicking out on the full as examples, and Conor looked better when he replaced him
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

McCloskey ain’t that good. Neither is JJ. Both prone to mix the good with the bad, with at times too much on the latter

Aki is still playing in Ireland, I’d have him there any day.

Assume there’s a Camp Farrell sometime over the Xmas, that should tell a lot.
                  Last edited by Sulla; 8th-December-2019, 17:42.
                  Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post

Yeah, a bit of rugby to be played between now and the 6Ns, which will test the claims of lads like JJ and Kelleher.

Plenty of quality young players coming through around the place. Farrell has plenty to work with if he’s looking to build for the long term.
                    That is the big question. if he is, then he needs to give major minutes to younger guys. The addiction to Johnny Sexton needs to be broken at some point, this is the natural point. Byrne, Carbery, Carty,Fitzgerald, Hanrahan, it is time to stop wasting their early primes to keep nursing Johnny along from match to match as the first choice 10; seemingly after every other hit the medics are out dealing with him. Same thing with Murray. He's been looking for his form since February, chances are it has left the building.

Comment

There's arguments for most of the players listed in various posts here (bar Ruddock, of course) but that's not how teams are picked.

If Farrell drops Murray for Cooney then Sexton will start. If he drops Sexton then Murray will start.

He and Catt will be working on attacking game plan as we speak, and that will have a lot of impact on the back selection. I'd say that given that under Lancaster, they gave caps to Billy Twelvetrees at 12 that a fair number have a shout.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

McCloskey alternates light and shadow. Ok, he brings a big power in the midfield, ok, he was decisive on Reidy's try and then scored a try. But he butchered three winning occasions in the same half. So, it's not absolutely clear for me.
                        The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post

Since the beginning of the season, I would say I amm quiet enthousiast about what I saw from Connor Fitz, but yesterday, when he came in, he, imho, missed nearly all he tried. So, for me, great hope for the future, but still not mature enough.
                          Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 9th-December-2019, 12:55.
                          The Scots (originally Irish, but by now Scotch) were at this time inhabiting Ireland, having driven the Irish (Picts) out of Scotland; while the Picts (originally Scots) were now Irish (living in brackets) and vice versa. It is essential to keep these distinctions clearly in mind (and verce visa).

Comment

Camp Farrell on the weekend of the 20-22nd, will be interesting to see who doesn't make it, assuming there will be an extended squad called up.
                            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I saw Will Connors in his last 2 games. He made something like 48 tackles and missed none. Some of those tackles were knocking big 18st,19st forwards back at a rate of knots. He is a 6'5" openside which is unusually tall for the position. He also looks a decent carrier and has a good passing and offloading game. He might be of interest to Farrell though he probably needs to play more big games.

Doris and Kelleher are 2 obvious picks. Doris looks an impressive athlete and at 21 already looks comfortable playing in the champions cup. Kelleher is good in the loose and tight. Maybe an answer to our hooker problem?

McCloskey is an interesting one. Imo he just makes too many mistakes. Henshaw is another who makes too many handing mistakes every game. I'm a fan of Tom Farrell but maybe Andy Farrell will look to more physical players.

Haley is in with a good shout. He has looked a different player this season.

​​​​​​Marty Moore could be in with a shout. John Ryan hasn't looked great since he came back from the world cup.

Wycherley also wouldn't be far off the training squad but as a blindside imo. He needs to work on his handling but he has time. I'd say AF would be a fan of his aggression.

​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X