2020 Guinness 6 Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    I think that squad is a bit of a libel on the Munster set up, to be honest. About 2 seasons ago I'd have said that both Scannells, Archer, Ryan, TOD, Sweetnam were all in with a shout of stepping up post the World Cup. No one has really kicked on.

We have one front 5 player in the 6 nations squad, despite several of our front 5 gaining caps and even going to the World Cup.

We're not making players better.
    On the plus side plenty of time for Rowntree to get into the heads of Scannell, Ryan, Archer. Not to mention Cronin, Loughman, KOB and Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by LPAC View Post
      Be aware they are very au fait with their criticism. A snide comment here a more inflammatory comment there. But always be aware they are bubbling with rage beneath the surface and their veneer of civility. The slating of O Mahoney deserves to be confronted though it’s particularly vitriolic. Mostly down to hatred of hard workers who fight their way up. They have had everything served up to them on a plate so they fear what is deserving and meritocratic

ive edited the link in my post above. Have a gander it’s the message board they’ve migrated to now
      Honestly. I don’t give a s**t about what some Go****** keyboard warriors think.

The 2019 RWC Ireland rugby team was loaded with Leinster players and coached by the best Leinster coach in history and they lost to Japan.

Comment

With the captaincy there are only two players in the squad head and shoulders above their competition who are guaranteed to start when fit (Sexton/Ryan). Giving Johnny captaincy and allowing Ryan to grow into it is the best option.

For the squad I am surprised he only picked 35 but the only strange choices in my mind are McCloskey missing out to Henshaw and Scannell missing out to Heffernan (but I've not seen much of Heffernan).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
          Roman Kelleher began his first season spectacularly- but was injured thereafter. Not sure how much more he has played. While very promising, I’m surprised he has done enough to eclipse Scannell, particularly as Farrell has also taken the interesting option of naming four development players.

Selecting Sexton as captain beggars belief- his fitness prevents him playing a reasonably full part in the non international game- and seems to me to lack the necessary qualities, outstanding a player as he is/was when fully fit.

I wish I was more bothered that relatively few Munster players have been selected- and I don’t like feeling that way about my home country.
          I’ve nailed my colours to the flag and have let people on here know my background so I’m not a troll looking to wind people on here up (Famous last words). But I have seen Kelleher play this season and can say without doubt that he is the real deal at the age of 21. There are something like 13 St Michaels players in the Leinster set up and I can honestly say most of them in there are average players who are in there because the tracks were laid in my time 20 years ago.

I think Leinster fans are guilty of touting players who get 1 Leinster cap as “world class” when in truth they are bang average players playing in a small pool risen to the top with some good social media campaigns and a bit of luck in results in their year at SCT. But Kelleher is one of about 3 Michaels players in Leinster I would say would be good enough to play for Ireland. The others are Baird and Ryan and even at that I think Ryan is vastly overrated. I think he’s quite gangly and not bulky enough to be second row but he has a good head on his shoulders and hasn’t let his success get the better of his ego. Think he could do with some of the military Ultimate He’ll Week type training we did in my time 20 years ago to toughen the leather of his game for example.

I know there’ll be some hurting people on here today but for some of us up in Dublin it’s a great day today. Just a pity we had to go through the last twenty years of uproar to let some self entitled bigots game time for our country.

Comment

Personally, reading ROGs lines last week Scannell was the first player who came to mind. He's gotten further than his ability merits imho. He does the basics, but if someone offers any more than that it's hard to make a case for him.

You get the feeling McCluskey has done something more than go to a gig a few years back.

I think Pete is a very likely match day squad casualty, potentially at the expense of JOD.
            "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Originally posted by LPAC View Post

I’ve nailed my colours to the flag and have let people on here know my background so I’m not a troll looking to wind people on here up (Famous last words). But I have seen Kelleher play this season and can say without doubt that he is the real deal at the age of 21. There are something like 13 St Michaels players in the Leinster set up and I can honestly say most of them in there are average players who are in there because the tracks were laid in my time 20 years ago.

I think Leinster fans are guilty of touting players who get 1 Leinster cap as “world class” when in truth they are bang average players playing in a small pool risen to the top with some good social media campaigns and a bit of luck in results in their year at SCT. But Kelleher is one of about 3 Michaels players in Leinster I would say would be good enough to play for Ireland. The others are Baird and Ryan and even at that I think Ryan is vastly overrated. I think he’s quite gangly and not bulky enough to be second row but he has a good head on his shoulders and hasn’t let his success get the better of his ego. Think he could do with some of the military Ultimate He’ll Week type training we did in my time 20 years ago to toughen the leather of his game for example.

I know there’ll be some hurting people on here today but for some of us up in Dublin it’s a great day today. Just a pity we had to go through the last twenty years of uproar to let some self entitled bigots game time for our country.
              10 appearances for Leinster, not sure how many of those were starts or minutes played, senior debut last February. Straight into main squad- not even the new development category. Would be interesting to know whether any player has ever made this rapid a break through. [and incidentally my questioning his selection is not driven by any sense of injustice to Scannell- although his omission is surprising, despite his lack lustre performance since the RWC, but then which of the returnees have done well].

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post
                With the captaincy there are only two players in the squad head and shoulders above their competition who are guaranteed to start when fit (Sexton/Ryan). Giving Johnny captaincy and allowing Ryan to grow into it is the best option.

For the squad I am surprised he only picked 35 but the only strange choices in my mind are McCloskey missing out to Henshaw and Scannell missing out to Heffernan (but I've not seen much of Heffernan).

Labeling a 34 year old who was poor in his last two international tournaments as "head and shoulders above their competition" is the reason why we're laughed at by the actual top international nations. His competition have never been given more than a game or two in succession before being hooked immediately whenever something went wrong and at this stage Sexton is probably the 2nd worst starting 10 of the Six Nations teams ahead only of Italy, what's the point of squeezing whatever's left out of him instead of just moving on?

It seems it'll take wasting a 3rd tournament at least before we wrap our heads around the concept of a once important player having declined. I wonder if Rory Best could be coaxed into another season while we're at it?

Comment

10 appearances for Leinster, not sure how many of those were starts or minutes played, senior debut last February. Straight into main squad- not even the new development category. Would be interesting to know whether any player has ever made this rapid a break through. [and incidentally my questioning his selection is not driven by any sense of injustice to Scannell- although his omission is surprising, despite his lack lustre performance since the RWC, but then which of the returnees have done well].
                  It’s a very rapid breakthrough and even at that there have been grumbling of resentment for his performances up Dublin way which have been robust. Mostly from seasoned rugby heads who know their rugby but have their own allegiances. He brings a rock solid set piece to the table usurping the amount of years he has age wise. I’m not too familiar with Scannell game to comment.

Comment

didn't james ryan play for Ireland before he ever did for Leinster ? that's pretty rapid. I think BOD did that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Finnegan79 View Post

didn't james ryan play for Ireland before he ever did for Leinster ? that's pretty rapid. I think BOD did that as well.
                      He played for Munster too
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

Labeling a 34 year old who was poor in his last two international tournaments as "head and shoulders above their competition" is the reason why we're laughed at by the actual top international nations. His competition have never been given more than a game or two in succession before being hooked immediately whenever something went wrong and at this stage Sexton is probably the 2nd worst starting 10 of the Six Nations teams ahead only of Italy, what's the point of squeezing whatever's left out of him instead of just moving on?

It seems it'll take wasting a 3rd tournament at least before we wrap our heads around the concept of a once important player having declined. I wonder if Rory Best could be coaxed into another season while we're at it?
                        So which outhalf available to Ireland for the 6Nations is a better player than Sexton (or even close to him)?

Burns at Ulster
                        Ross Byrne at Leinster
                        Jack Carthy at Connaught
                        JJ at Munster

Comment

8 starts this season before injury. Good set piece and scored 7 tries.

Comment

Originally posted by In Joe we trust View Post

So which outhalf available to Ireland for the 6Nations is a better player than Sexton (or even close to him)?

Burns at Ulster
                            Ross Byrne at Leinster
                            Jack Carthy at Connaught
                            JJ at Munster

Do you mean Carty of Connacht, IFwt?
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I think Murray had quite a rapid rise also .
                              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Originally posted by busby View Post
                                Personally, reading ROGs lines last week Scannell was the first player who came to mind. He's gotten further than his ability merits imho. He does the basics, but if someone offers any more than that it's hard to make a case for him.

You get the feeling McCluskey has done something more than go to a gig a few years back.

I think Pete is a very likely match day squad casualty, potentially at the expense of JOD.
                                Sure send the whole Munster contingent back to Limerick and leave the others work away with Ireland. Give them more time with Larkham and Rowntree.
                                Murray, Earls, POM, CJ are a complete write off at this point apparently. We might be lucky to have maybe 1 or 2 players involved in the match day squad. But realistically if we’re going off “form” Killer and JOD will probably get to hold a tackle bag or two...if they’re lucky. Conway might start but sure probably won’t make the cut. Chris Farrell probably won’t start either.
                                See how they go, at some point there might be a realization that it’s a hell of a lot easier to look like a superstar playing against a poor Lyon team compared to international level rugby.

I’m not saying the players picked to the squad aren’t very good players or aren’t deserving of selection but at some point there needs to be a reality check for some people, as to what goes in to picking a team. A team selection, shock horror, isn’t a fantasy rugby team. It’s about the team as a whole. The strength of the front row, the ability of the hooker. If we have a weak hooker at lineout time we need to compensate elsewhere in the pack. Every call has a knock on effect. Etc.

It’s the lack of knowledge behind the comments is what I find the most comical/irritating. My favourite was the outrage at the WC selection of Kleyn over Toner, just clueless.
                                The obsession with POM is nearly worrisome, again a bit clueless. POM is not a big ball carrier, he never has been but that isn’t what he’s in the team for. If we are losing collisions (like we are at Munster) he’s going to get the brunt of the blame (as he is now) as he always does but put him in with big ball carriers you see that he is one of the best forwards in supportive play that you could ask for. It’s something that he has shown time and time again at the lineout, breakdown and the maul. He also has skills our wide when it comes to handling the ball and positional judgement. But sure let’s forget all of that, his stats on ESPN are poor. I’m not suggesting Farrell should start him but again the old of understanding about his position is comical.

The squad announcement just brings up the worst out of so many. This whole time frame around the international games remind me how much I’ve grown to dislike this time of year. Just nasty, elitist opinions from keyboard warriors from overnight experts and mind numbing opinions from pundits.
                                Last edited by Stringer9; 16th-January-2020, 00:03.
                                The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Working...
                                X