No announcement yet.

2020 Guinness 6 Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“I know you hate me but you have to talk to me” as captain seems ridiculous. But sure we’ll be lucky to have one Munster player involved in the team at all apparently. Any chance we can just skip the whole 6 Nations altogether. I’m not able for the absolute crap from media and idiots online that go along with it.
    Last edited by Stringer9; 15th-January-2020, 18:23.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by Benji View Post
      Who did ye want as Captain? I don’t see Sexton being with Ireland for the next World Cup but Farrell coming in needs a leader for this season . Yes Johnny is out injured at the moment and when his on his game it’s world class . I think his due back soon .
      If Sexton is fit his by far our best 10 at the moment . The others will get chances to prove themselves . If we’re only looking towards the next World Cup 10 their lads could’ve been cut now . We don’t have the quantity or quality of players like France to do that .
      He had a dreadful 2019 Six Nations, a poor World Cup and has played about 2 games for Leinster this season. Where is this notion of him still being an international standard 10 coming from and that's even on the miracle presumption that he has any kind of fitness left considering he's failed to play more than 2 games in a row in the last 12 months. Sexton should be viewed as a luxury player in the squad at this stage, not a cornerstone to build around.

Literally anyone would be a better choice. POM, Stander, Herring, Henderson all have more captaincy experience or failing those pick a young player like James Ryan to grow into the role. Picking a guy in semi-retirement who won't play half our games and won't complete the rest as the on field leader is beyond ridiculous.
      Last edited by Dowlinz; 15th-January-2020, 18:01.

Comment

Who did ye want as Captain?
        James Ryan

Comment

McCloskey desperately unlucky, think he offers a lot, personally would have left Aki out, he gives away too many penalties, hasn’t great hands for an international 12 and the way the game is now being refereed his greatest strength - the tackle - is a red card waiting to happen every game because of his technique. Ruddock also desperately unlucky in a competitive area. Cronin/+ Scannell also unlucky when you consider Kelleher looked brilliant in the Pro14 but never really got tested in Europe playing just the one game, huge vote of confidence in him. Fair play to Toner too for playing his way back in.

The days of Michael Bent being presented with an Irish Jersey and a caman as he got off the plane are gone when you consider none of Belaham, Ryan, Archer or Moore are selected at tight head. A few others fortunate to get in – there on reputation and faith they can recapture past form rather than current. A few new names in there which is good to see. Like the innovation in naming development players too. Would have been great to see one other outside back put their hand up along with Balouocoune to be included as a development player

Anyone know if the squad gets rejigged midway or is that it for the competition barring injury?

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
            Very surprised that McCloskey is not in. Dave Kearney is in presumably because of form. But I'd think McCloskey's form has been of much bigger importance in Ulster's rise this season than Kearney's in Leinster.
            Meantime, Henshaw, who has looked nothing special (even average) at 12 for a long time, continues to be picked. If Farrell wants a big powerful 12, this 6N would be a chance to try Munster's Farrell in that slot. He has quite good distribution skills as well as power. With Ringrose in good form at 13, it would be an interesting pairing.
            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

McCloskey not even being in the squad is ridiculous. Clearly the form 12. Henshaw has been v poor for a long time and is slow as a funeral.
              Munster can have no complaints, happy for JOD who has been Munsters best player this year. N Scannell, J Ryan and Kleyn just aren't at the races.

Comment

I think that squad is a bit of a libel on the Munster set up, to be honest. About 2 seasons ago I'd have said that both Scannells, Archer, Ryan, TOD, Sweetnam were all in with a shout of stepping up post the World Cup. No one has really kicked on.

We have one front 5 player in the 6 nations squad, despite several of our front 5 gaining caps and even going to the World Cup.

We're not making players better.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post

He had a dreadful 2019 Six Nations, a poor World Cup and has played about 2 games for Leinster this season. Where is this notion of him still being an international standard 10 coming from and that's even on the miracle presumption that he has any kind of fitness left considering he's failed to play more than 2 games in a row in the last 12 months. Sexton should be viewed as a luxury player in the squad at this stage, not a cornerstone to build around.

Literally anyone would be a better choice. POM, Stander, Herring, Henderson all have more captaincy experience or failing those pick a young player like James Ryan to grow into the role. Picking a guy in semi-retirement who won't play half our games and won't complete the rest as the on field leader is beyond ridiculous.
                  Everybody had a bad 6 nations . As I said it might I expect only be for this season . I expect James Ryan to be captain for 2023 but there is no rush to give it to him .
                  When fit Sexton will get his place in the team as will Henderson and Stander . Pom’s form isn’t great and his place in the back row is assured . Herring not enough experience for an international captain your really scrapping the barrel and again not sure of his place .
                  Who says Sexton is in semi retirement Leinster are lucky to have the backup to rest him . Would you be happy to make him play every game he can ?

I think ye would rather anybody but Johnny whose always shown himself to be a great leader

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Lads you’d want to venture outside for a bit there is an uproar about POM making Irish squad and Ruddock not up in Leinster. Apparently POM hasn’t been competitive (my old coach from St Michaels coached him in Pres Paul Barr so I’m a supporter) for some years now and the mob up here are out in vociferous form slating him. Knives are out for Farrell because the Clongowes boys are being left out. Remember the poster Fresh Start on Munsterfans around ten years ago and Stirk of Stirk on Leinsterfans ? It’s a new dawn and they are raging JOD is ahead of Conners.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058022501/324

Comment

Originally posted by LPAC View Post
                      Lads you’d want to venture outside for a bit there is an uproar about POM making Irish squad and Ruddock not up in Leinster. Apparently POM hasn’t been competitive (my old coach from St Michaels coached him in Pres Paul Barr so I’m a supporter) for some years now and the mob up here are out in vociferous form slating him. Knives are out for Farrell because the Clongowes boys are being left out. Remember the poster Fresh Start on Munsterfans around ten years ago and Stirk of Stirk on Leinsterfans ? It’s a new dawn and they are raging JOD is ahead of Conners.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058022501/324
                      Like it matters a f**k
                      Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

On the bright side the Munster front 5 for the next 10 weeks will be loughman. Scannell Ryan. Kleyn. BH.

Comment

Be aware they are very au fait with their criticism. A snide comment here a more inflammatory comment there. But always be aware they are bubbling with rage beneath the surface and their veneer of civility. The slating of O Mahoney deserves to be confronted though it’s particularly vitriolic. Mostly down to hatred of hard workers who fight their way up. They have had everything served up to them on a plate so they fear what is deserving and meritocratic

ive edited the link in my post above. Have a gander it’s the message board they’ve migrated to now
                          Last edited by LPAC; 15th-January-2020, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonstonitis View Post
                            Blend of the new and the old. Scannell being left out is a bigger surprise for me than Ruddock. McCloskey seems to be in the Zebo league of "we don't care how well you're playing, we don't want you". On another note, days like today on twitter, the42, etc, remind you how many very strange people there are out there who spend their lives living as an online troll. Very worrying state of mind.
                            Have a read of some of IJWT's posts here. Thinly veiled anti Munster bile.
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Everybody had a bad 6 nations . As I said it might I expect only be for this season . I expect James Ryan to be captain for 2023 but there is no rush to give it to him .
                              When fit Sexton will get his place in the team as will Henderson and Stander . Pom’s form isn’t great and his place in the back row is assured . Herring not enough experience for an international captain your really scrapping the barrel and again not sure of his place .
                              Who says Sexton is in semi retirement Leinster are lucky to have the backup to rest him . Would you be happy to make him play every game he can ?

I think ye would rather anybody but Johnny whose always shown himself to be a great leader

https://twitter.com/James_White__/st...86693326692363

He's some leader. An inspiration and a uniting presence!

Comment

THis 6 Ns imho

England to win it
                                Wales likely runners up
                                France likely 3rd
                                Ireland likely 4th (maybe 3rd)
                                Scotland
                                Italy

So Ireland to beat Scotland, close v Wales at home , but I think Wales are more likely to win, losing away in Twickers, up against it in Paris and win easily v Italy at home.

Sexton is likely to be a poor one season captain in another poor 6Ns by Ireland . Sorry but that's what I think.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Working...
                                X